OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

FN Five Seven

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FN Five Seven
    Posted: December/10/2009 at 15:01
What are your thoughts on the FN Five Seven?
"I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace."
Thomas Payne, Revolutionist
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 15:05
i think ick has one and did a little bit of posting about it here. would have to search to be certain.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 15:11
low recoil
small bullet
lots of them

not a particularly well-made pistol

ammo might eventually disappear, they are the only ones making guns chambered in it, and though they have sold some, more popular calibers have disappeared.

Cool gun, wouldn't buy one, would shoot it if issued or if someone else's was available.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 15:36

I wouldnt buy one either... I'd take a .40 or a .45 over one anyday

"I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace."
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 15:38
A helpfull web site for FN questions.
I've found FN customer service excellent. 
Lots of haters out there for one or another reason,read up on the gun, rent one if you can.

I'm classic shag nasty type.
Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 15:38

I talked to some guys here in Iraq who had them and they seem to like the low recoil

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 15:38
.357 sig would be my first choice for a smaller semi auto pistol.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 16:16
I'm not a hater, just never saw the point.

2 schools of thought: small bullet going fast vs large bullet going slow.  The small/fast leaves the target with lots o' energy wasted.  Big/slow, in general, transfers more to the target.

For fun, it' be a cool gun to shoot.  For life and death, I prefer a 45 ACP.

Everything is personal preference.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - December/10/2009 at 16:31
Ick View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional
ICK, Ed's BOY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 16:23
I have a PS90 which uses the same ammo.

1. A lot of guys claim it has the stopping power of 22lr and show ballistics evidence as such.  In my experience this is not an accurate assessment.
2. #1 might be closer to "true" for the civilian ammo, but even then the comparision to 22lr seems inacurate to me.  It almost looks like .223 rifle ballistics out of a PISTOL, and that is hard to beat.
3. For a handgun I don't think you can beat .40 or .45 so personally I would carry that and not the FiveseveN.
4. These guys are right though, for whatever it lacks it makes up for it in lower recoil and quantity of bullets with low overall carry weight.  Nothing else out there quite has the same mix of those three characteristics.
5. Guys either LOVE IT PASSIONATELY or have an almost complete irrational disrespect for the round.  Not much in between.
6. If you get the military or LEO FMJ round there is no better pistol to defeat body armor.  Hence why it may be a "go to" weapon in a combat zone.  Where else can you get a pistol that defeats body armor so easily?  Also why you cant get FMJ as a civilian from FN Herstal.  As it should be I suppose.
7. You CERTAINLY want to look at it first.  It is a bit fugly, and some find it an awkward grip.
8. I don't hear too much bitching about failures, well not any worse than any other weapon.
9. FNforum.net is the place to go for details.

Edited by Ick - December/10/2009 at 16:25
--
Ick, Ed's boy,www.ick.bz
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 16:31
It is all about the .460 Rowland.  Wink  That will turn your .45 into a stopper.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 16:32
Agreed

It came out after my time in the monkey suit, so I never fired/carried one in the service of our great land.

Not a lover or a hater, just not interested for my current circumstances.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 17:02
The FN P90 and 5.7 pistol were designed as personal defense weapons for support troops, and troops manning crew served weapons.The idea is to provide a light weight, and compact weapon that would be easy to use for troops in the support role, that is capable of defeating body armor with standard fmj ammo. This is why you can't get fmj ammo for the 5.7.
Just thought I'd throw that out.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 17:16
Very similar to a 22 hornet , I have one it a Tarus , you can find them for half the price of the 5 7 and the ammo will be around for a while. Some of the Tarus had a Waltor Lorthar barrel and were quite accurate.
Duce  Smile 
Duce
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic