OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex 6-24x50 Crossfire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex 6-24x50 Crossfire
    Posted: December/10/2009 at 00:03
http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Crossfire-Rifle-Scope-P43585.aspx
This does sound like a tempting offer at $99.95 ,  I was wondering if any of you guys has one of these and can comment on it.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 00:06
Tahqua has one.  Ask him.

ILya
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 12:21
I would buy the Simmons over this scope.I would even save $30.00 and buy the Centerpoint.Blurry on the edges poorly made from my experience.At least the Centerpoint is clear and stays clear when you adjust the power.  
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2009 at 10:16
I have had mine on a Webley Patriot for some time now. This is a heavy recoiling spring gun that I have several tins through with  the Vortex. It is still ticking.
I find the contrast and resolution to be pretty good. The reticle is also pretty good in the low light I use this gun in.
For the price this scope is very good and rates a buy IMO.
compostellas View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compostellas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 18:39
Can someone recommend rings for this scope (the 1" version on sale for $99 at SWFA)?

Thanks.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 22:32
Wes I have had mine on my 223, 270Win and 308, all with good results.  Don't hesitate to buy one for $100!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

hometheaterman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hometheaterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 22:47
I'm curious to hear some more opinions on this scope too. The price seems almost too good to be true. 
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2010 at 06:07
Don't know what else to tell ya.  Originally there were several with factory mis-marked turrets, that sold for $99.  I have one of those and it is fanatastic for the price.  Nothing mechanically wrong with the scope other than mis-marked turrets. Don't know if the current ones have same problem or not. 
Chris or anyone at SWFA will be able to tell you!  You do realize that Vortex is a member of this forum don't you?  Vortex has really pulled out all the stops in their effort to become one of the top reputable big names in Optics.  IMO their are kicking some serious butt and climbing that ladder quicky!  Hope they maintain their current mentality and pricing forever!

And no I don't work for them or even know any of their employees.

Edited by budperm - March/25/2010 at 06:02
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2010 at 22:25
I love this scope.  The eye relief on the one I have is pretty tight (I guess you would call it critical) but other than that it is a great scope. Clarity is good all the way to 24x, turrets are working fine, but I have to admit I have only taken the rifle out twice and probably have about 140 rounds of .223 through it.  I have also not had time to do a box test yet but hope to in the near future, I've been slacking due to the fact I have been working up some loads for this gun.  I now have two fiends buying Vortex scopes because of looking through the 99 dollar special.  
sideforce View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sideforce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2010 at 17:10
I have a Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50AO 1" tube on backorder with SWFA and have been waiting for it's arrival to complete my 243 build.

An acquaintance ordered the 6-24x50AO 30mm Crossfire, mounted it on his 243 and sighted the scope/rifle in.  He was thrilled with the scope, which raised my anxiety to get this on my rifle.

Yesterday he went out for some long range shooting and it wouldn't hit anything!  Seems the recticle came loose.  He is bummed and I am reconsidering the purchase.

I am interested in your folks thoughts.

warrior View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2010 at 13:14

SWFA!  Now what is the status?  Any update.  May has turned to June.  :-(  The AR custom project needs this scope really bad.  The range up here opens this weekend!Sharp Shooter

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2010 at 16:47
Originally posted by sideforce sideforce wrote:

I have a Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50AO 1" tube on backorder with SWFA and have been waiting for it's arrival to complete my 243 build.

An acquaintance ordered the 6-24x50AO 30mm Crossfire, mounted it on his 243 and sighted the scope/rifle in.  He was thrilled with the scope, which raised my anxiety to get this on my rifle.

Yesterday he went out for some long range shooting and it wouldn't hit anything!  Seems the recticle came loose.  He is bummed and I am reconsidering the purchase.

My 1" version is riding my 308 A-Bolt and standing up well after about 150 308 and 500 223 rounds.   I am quite happy with the quality and workmanship of the crossfire!

IF your friend had my kind of luck and the crosshairs came loose then I am sure that either  SWFA or Vortex will immediately take care of the problem to his and your satisfaction!
--Thomas Jefferson

sideforce View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sideforce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2010 at 22:55
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Originally posted by sideforce sideforce wrote:

My 1" version is riding my 308 A-Bolt and standing up well after about 150 308 and 500 223 rounds.   I am quite happy with the quality and workmanship of the crossfire!

IF your friend had my kind of luck and the crosshairs came loose then I am sure that either  SWFA or Vortex will immediately take care of the problem to his and your satisfaction!

Thank you for the info.  I am hopeful my scope will work out fine.

The acquaintance I mention called SWFA and they are shipping him a replacement.  As the backorders are catching up, I expect my scope will be here in a few weeks.  More info when I get it mounted and send some rounds down range.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 06:36
I'm there!  Ordered mine in March then another in May.  I know waiting is hard and I am NOT the best at patience but it is worth the wait as the product is well worth the price!

Let us know how your luck holds out when you get yours!
--Thomas Jefferson

sideforce View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sideforce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 22:51
Not having my scope just yet, I can attest to the willingness of both SWFA and Vortex to communicate with the customer, and I appreciate that.

I reckon the backorder issue will soon be resolved, SWFA was ready to ship my scope and discovered I had provided the wrong expiration date for my CC. Ouch  They let me know via email.  I trust the email response is sufficient to get the process back underway.

In the meanwhile I have been playing with an Osprey International 4-16x50 on load from the 702Shooter forum for testing.  I owe them a write up for the play time.

More later when the Crossfire arrives.  Until then I'm waiting.....waiting.....waiting.....waiting....
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 23:02

Woot, my 02/14 order shipped today, will have 2 in my possession tomorrow. Yippee

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
sideforce View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sideforce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 22:38
The Vortex Crossfire broke free of it's backorder bondage and showed up at my door today!

I really like the UPS truck in the drive Smile

Sweet scope!  Well built with a great finish.  I did notice the turrets are small, and the MOA numbers will require some focus from my aging eyes.

Not mounted on the rifle yet, but from playing around in the backyard, it is a nice piece.

Now to see how it does on the rifle!
midwestoffroad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midwestoffroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2010 at 22:36
placed my order 5-3-10

still waiting
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2010 at 06:18
I too received the TWO crossfires I ordered in March.  It was a long wait but well worth it!  Vortex has made a huge splash in the Optics community with their aggressive pricing and excellent quality.  Not only is demand higher than expected their contractors just like the rest of the world have been fighting longer than normal lead times on several parts and sub-assemblies.  Here at Black & Decker we are experiencing the very same thing and have been scrambling for months identifying, testing and approving alternate parts source to keep production going.  That and Vortex made the right decision to hold shipment until they KNOW their product is up to snuff!

I know it is hard waiting, especially in todays world where we are used to instant gratification.  I applaud and salute Vortex for making the tough decision NOT to use us the customer as their QC department.  Please be patient and I am sure you will be happy when you finally recieve your purchase!  I sure am!!!

Edited by budperm - July/21/2010 at 06:20
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic