OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help selecting new optics!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magilla75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help selecting new optics!
    Posted: December/09/2009 at 20:16
Good evening.  new forum user here, and have a couple of questions regarding buying a new scope.

First of all, I am buying a friends rem 700 .308 youth model.  LOl i know it has a short barrel, but i can do 1/2 moa groups with it with the right loads. However, its currently topped with a Simmons 3.5X10 scope that seems to drift from temperature.  I shot one 5 shot group all in the ten ring first time i fired this rifle.  Next time around, it was at 2 oclock high in the 8 ring (all 5 shots).

The current owner says this has been happening to him.  I did notice that he has it mounted on a two piece weaver base with what looks like stamped metal rings.

Now when i buy this rifle (finally got permission from the boss, my wife). I intend to mount a 1 piece rail on it and some machined rings.

Heres where my questions come in. I have a limited budget and i know I need new optics on this weapon.  My budget range is 175-250.  While i would love to have the NF/Leo on top, I just cant afford to put it on there this year.  

So does anyone have any suggestions as to a replacement optics package?  I was looking at the Mueller tac II, which is at the upper limit of my price range, but it hoes have some of the features im lookign for such as:

Power: 3X10 (like having my 10X for ranging purposes)
Reticle: Mildot
Paralax adjustment optional
illuminated reticle (meh, im iffy on this, im used to shootign military optics which at the time didnt have this, so its a cool feature, just not neccesary)

Hunting and shootign conditions as follows:
Whitetail in mountains and lowlands of georgia/alabama
Hogs in lowlands
Avg range in mtns: about 90-120 yds
avg range in lowlands: 120-300

any ideas?
Thanks ahead fo time
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2009 at 20:45
 Welcome to O.T.!
  I guess if I were you, and didn't foresee the need to shoot much beyond 300 yards, I'd reconsider whether a mildot reticle was what I wanted.
 Going to a 3-9x40 variable hunting-type scope with a Plex or BDC type reticle will give you a lot more options for your limited budget.
 I would strike illumination from the equation at your budget level. You need ALL your pennies to go toward glass quality, not frills.
Same with paralax adjustability. Not necessary for your hunting conditions/distances.
 I'd really recommend a Bushnell 4200 for the best bang for your dollar, at the stretching a little of your budget, but Nikon, Burris and Weaver also have good scopes in your price range.

billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 00:21
+1

If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
vrellum View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vrellum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 00:38
The new Redfields might be worth a look as well. They've been getting some good reviews. They come it a bit below your budget (around $150) so you could spend the extra on a nice base and set or rings.
magilla75 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magilla75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 09:43
Thanks fellas for the input.  I will check out the redfields, also the nikons.  eventually "shorty" as the weapon is called is going to get a longer barrel, and by that time i will look at a higher dollar scope.  In the meantime, the only thing i need to do besides optics is going to be putting a new trigger group on it. 
  I intend to keep this gun for a logn time and want to be able to use it out west when I get the chance for mule deer and whatnot.

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 10:20

SWFA has a heck of a deal going on the Nikon 3-9x40 Team Primos for 199.99 plus you get a free camo jacket with it. This is the same scope as the previous edition Monarch series and a GREAT scope at a fantastic price. I should have pointed that one out in my earlier post but I had forgotten about the deal they had going. That would be a tough one to pass up.

BTW, I personally like somewhat longer barrels myself, but I'd seriously reconsider your plan to rebarrel a .308 sporter that already shoots 1/2 moa groups, just to have a longer barrel.
 One of our esteemed members here just cut his Remington 700 down to make it shorter, and he seems happy with it.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 11:22
Ronk +1, add the 4200 3-9x40 and may be the FFII 3x9 also.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
magilla75 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magilla75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 17:32
Oh i have no problem with keeping the barrel short, but i havent shot the gun past 300 yards, so i dont know how it will handle at ranges that my friend needs to hunt mulies.  ill give it a shot next time im ont he soybean field.  if it hold a good grouping, i may just bed the actiona nd trigger it.

Thanks for the input Ronk.

Thinking seriously about the Burris fullfield or the nikon prostaff.  I have used the nikons before and have mounted the burris on a police rifle,.  both have damned good glass, and hold up to hunting conditions pretty well.  course the ones i used were a little on the pricey side, but Since you guys gave me the advice, its just up to which one.

Again, thanks!:D Ill let yall know which one i go with and hopefully post up some 10 ring punchouts!
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 18:39
+1 on the team Primos. I had the old Monarch UCC (same as the Primos) and it was a fantastic scope. It however, got sold along with the rifle. The Burris FFII is also an excelent scope (I have 3) and I like the Burris Ballistic Plex better than the Nikon BDC. The choice may come down to whether or not YOU like the Nikon BDC or Burris Ballistic Plex if you want to go with a holdover type reticle. If you can go someplace and look through both to get an idea that may help.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
magilla75 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magilla75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 18:47
we are going shopping this weekend, and ill talk the missus into letting me go by the local overpriced sporting goods store and ill look through each.  From input from you guys, i just have two to look at.  which makes life easy for my simple public safety mind.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic