OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hensoldt 3-12x56

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hensoldt 3-12x56
    Posted: December/09/2009 at 17:45
Just got it, first impressions:

Sweet Lord, I'm gonna go broke putting these on all my tac guns!

The glass is fantastic!  Edge-to-edge it is clear as crystal.  TO say it is easy to get behind is an understatement of biblical proportions.  Eye position is very, very forgiving!

The turrets are tactile and audible and spaced perfectly.  I might have a new favorite elevation turet, dispalcing the USO EREK. Maybe.  Time will tell.

It is sqautty and kinda ugly, not very long, pretty thich (34mm) and has a large bell (56mm objective.)

It will be on a rifle and on the range this weekend.  All in all, it is something to behold.

I am not crazy about the illumination on/off mechanism, at least it has an auto-off feature after 3 hours.

I'll run it side-by-side with a Premier 3-15 and we'll see what we see.

Initial impressions are very, very positive!

Once mounted, pics coming.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2009 at 18:13

You suck Rancid! Congratulations on a fine optic. Someday...................

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2009 at 19:37
Hensoldt STILL hasn't conquered the illuminated reticle thing??  Oh well, if you never use it, you'll still LOVE it. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2009 at 20:27
Well I will wait for your listing of your other scopes...Ha....
Seriously good luck looking back...
No one
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 12:48
That is a spectacular scope, RC.  I hope you enjoy it.

I have some ideas on what you will find when you compare it side by side with the Premier, but I will keep my mouth shut until you actually look at them.

Make sure you compare them in low light and from uncomfortable shooting positions.

ILya
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 13:50
For uncomfortable positions, the answer is already evident: the Hensoldt is unbelievably easy to get behind. It's almost difficult to NOT get a good site picture.

And given the low light capabilities of my Victory Diavari 3-12, my guess is this one will be about the same: almost as good as night vision.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 14:53
Make sure to post pics. There are those of us that must live vicariously through others.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 14:56
Pictures coming, I had a brain-fart on rings, but SWFA is helping ease my stupidity.

SWFA Customer Service is unequaled, in my experience.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 14:58
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

SWFA Customer Service is unequaled, in my experience.
Thunbs Up
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 17:35
Here are some comparative specs for the uber-scopes:

Hensoldt 
3-12x56FFP
Hensoldt 
4-16x56FFP
Premier 3-15x50S&B PMII 
3-12x50
S&B PMII
4-16x50
Length, in12.813.213.613.515.5
Weight, oz28.331.8383033.2
Main Tube Diameter34mm34mm34mm34mm34mm
Eye Relief, in3.8 - 4.03.8 - 4.03.543.753.35
FOV, ft@100yards35.1 - 10.226.1 -7.537.2 - 7.833.3 - 12.622.86 - 7
Click Value0.1 mrad0.1 mrad0.1 mrad0.1mrad0.1mrad
Adjustment rangeV: 30 mrad
H: 10 mrad
V: 22.4 mrad
H: 10 mrad
34 mradV: 22 mrad
H: 12 mrad
V: 13 mrad
H: 12 mrad

ILya

Edited by koshkin - December/10/2009 at 17:36

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2009 at 10:05
Thanx.

And damn, I didn't realize the Premier was that much heavier.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2009 at 19:14

To the range tomorrow, to run next to the Premier.

Range report to follow.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2009 at 21:57
Tagged for interest.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2009 at 23:06
It will be interesting to see your comparison between the Hensoldt and the Premier. It's harder to compare the two on features alone since the Premier is kind of the odd man out in the magnification range among the five scopes Koshkin listed. Although I suppose the Hensoldts having a 56mm objective vs. the S&B 50mm objective contributes some difference between those two sets of 3-12s and 4-16s. If money were no object, the Hensoldts seem to win out in every measure. However, I can assure you that regardless of the results whatever I learn will not result in me buying another scope. I'll just have to limp along with the Premier.
Reaction time is a factor...
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2009 at 02:40
Thanks for the pics RC! While never have done much studying on that scope, the feature that really stands-out for me is the 12mil per turn elevation! One turn gets most .308's to 1000yds. That's way cool!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2009 at 10:08
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

It will be interesting to see your comparison between the Hensoldt and the Premier. It's harder to compare the two on features alone since the Premier is kind of the odd man out in the magnification range among the five scopes Koshkin listed. Although I suppose the Hensoldts having a 56mm objective vs. the S&B 50mm objective contributes some difference between those two sets of 3-12s and 4-16s. If money were no object, the Hensoldts seem to win out in every measure. However, I can assure you that regardless of the results whatever I learn will not result in me buying another scope. I'll just have to limp along with the Premier.

In no way is Premier a slouch, don't get me wrong.  As said previously, the rifle that wears my Premier will continue to wear my Premier.

I really like the Hensoldt, but the Premier has done everything I've asked of it.

Off to the range this afternoon, will post finding and thoughts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2009 at 16:55
On the range, the Hensoldt definitely holds its own.

The glass was very, very clear and sharp, "easy to acquire site picture" is a terrible understatement, this is the easiest scope I have ever used in terms of getting a good site picture.

In bright conditions, I did have to adjust to the "clear" reticle, meaning the posts and dots are not black but are almost transparent with a black outline.  Not like the Premier, where you see the lines, regardless of lighting conditions.

Turrets worked as expected.  If Zeiss is to continue running their turrets backwards from the rest of the world, an indicator facing the shooter would be nice.  The numbers should tell the tale, but I am slow, admittedly.

I like the clicks and spacing.  With some turning, I don't like the turrets as much as USO's EREK, but better than most.

The most impressive part of the scope is the glass.  Turrets are fine, reticle is fine, illumination is OK, but the glass is where you notice its true greatness.

I do not see this scope failing due to heavy use - it ain't as bullet-proof as Premier, but is close (and at almost 10 ounces less, I can't expect too much of it.)

Does it best Premier: Kinda!

The glass definitely does.  I like black reticles, and this one is good but too much daylight coming through it.  It isn't that it is thin, it is that the reticle is pure outline, which will grow on me, I hope.

All in all, I'd say if you want the hands-down best glass in the industry, get the Hensoldt.  (I've heard good things of March but have yet to experience it, so for now it is Hensoldt for me.)

Sorry, it was raining, targets were a mess when finsished, no target pics.  Next time.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - December/14/2009 at 10:04
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 04:35
Rancid, just razzin' on ya a little bit. I'd love to have a Hensoldt, but just meant, that no matter what, it won't be something I can justify owning. Gotta spring for reloading components too since all I care about now is shooting as often and as much as possible.

Sounds like it met your expectations and more, other than the reticle. I guess it's a lot like the NF mil-dot reticle, which I've never had problems with. But I prefer the Premier Gen II. Having the turret run clockwise would be a minor drawback to me since all my other scopes have always run the other way. (BTW, I found it confusing when ordering the Premier that I had to contact them and SWFA about the "CCW" designation because - to me - turning the knob to the right like screwing in a lightbulb to raise elevation is clockwise. They can call it what they want, just so it matches what I'm used to).

What is most impressive about this scope is the ease of acquiring a sight picture and the scope just disappearing from around the glass. It should serve you well. As you mentioned, the glass is spectacular, yet it sounds like Zeiss was even more concerned with the usability. (Seems there's a certain point anyway...we'll call it Nightforce level...where glass is good enough. Beyond that, it's all about how the scope is engineered to support the shooter).

Edited by jonoMT - December/13/2009 at 04:43
Reaction time is a factor...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 11:01
I agree.  I've said many times that glass is not - by far - the most important part of a tactical scope.  That said, so long as the more important aspects function as they should, it sure is nice to get fantastic glass.

Nightforce is definitely usable and I remain a big Nightforce fan.  I would contend that Leupold glass is acceptable (not quite as good as Nightforce) but wouldn't buy one due to durability issues, at least in my hands.

I do like the Hensoldt, it is a keeper.

I was showing it to a friend last night (very dark) and looked through the scope in darkness without illumination turned on, the reticle is all but invisible in very low light.  I'll be sure to carry an extra battery at all time.

It does everything a good tactical scope should - and has unbelievable glass and is easy to get behind; I highly recommend it.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 18:01
+12...Now everything else is oranges...

Sorry about your luck...

Can you talk more about your ideas on faster sight picture for target aquisition and how forgiving it is on the fly so to speak...
No one
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic