OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

meopta meostars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SBLNCHRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: meopta meostars
    Posted: December/08/2009 at 08:18
hello to everyone i have a set of meopta meostars 7x42 great binos i like them but i am thinking of stepping up to a betterset of glass need some recomendations used mostly for hunting whitetails need every last bit of light gathering possible  would like to stay in the 7 to 8x range and no larger than 45mm if possible price range of about 1200
motts View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2009 at 11:17
I can't think of anything better, for under $1200. Unless you get like Nikon EDG Demo or something. Possibly you could spend a couple hundred bucks more and get the Swaro SLCs...whether they're better or not is debatable.

I personally think you're going to have to spend more than $1200 to get better quality than the Meoptas. Really, probably only the Big 4 and maybe some Kowa Genesis binos are going to be better. Also could try the Minox APOs, but even then you're looking at $1500.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2009 at 11:29
I agree, Meoptas are pretty dang nice for the money.  I bet you would have to double your money to get an easily noticeable improvement.  I bet you will be hard pressed to find a bino any better for under $1200.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
John Russell View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2009 at 17:22
My wife has 7x42 Meostars and I have 7x42 Swaro SLCs (not Neu but with the dielectric Swarobright prism coatings).
Optically there are very minor differences but I couldn't say that one is better than the other.
The 7x42 Zeiss Victory FL is a little brighter, has a wider FOV and less CA but the edge sharpness is worse than either the Meostar or SLC due to field curvature.

John
abailey54 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abailey54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2009 at 21:11
Zeiss 8x42 T*FL is my favorite and I also like the Leica and the Swaro binoculars. You want go wrong with any of these. Good luck and Merry Christ mas.
abailey54
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2009 at 23:01
To get any sort of meaningful performance increase you may have to move to a larger model.  Meopta binos are very good and even much more expensive glass from Zeiss and Leica will not have a huge edge over it.  It will be a bit better, but not by much at all.

If you want a performance increase, consider a bigger bino like a quality 8x50 and 8x56.  If you can live with the weight, it will also save you some money, since a Meopta 8x56 will likely outperform a Zeiss FL 7x42:

If you insist on staying with a smaller objective lens, but do not want to spend over $2k for alpha glass, you may want to try  Kowa Genesis 8.5x44:

These binoculars have spectacular contrast and if your eyes respond well to that you might get an extra edge in low light.

ILya
SBLNCHRD View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SBLNCHRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 06:44
thanks to all who replied i may just move up to the 8x56
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic