OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Viper 6x32 binocular

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Viper 6x32 binocular
    Posted: December/07/2009 at 20:04

Vortex Viper 6x32

This review has been a long time coming and I apologize for the wait.  I have been playing with the 6x32 Viper for months now.  It has also made a couple of trips around the country to be looked at by other people. 

First off, I liked the binocular enough to buy it from Vortex.  I can honestly say that since this binocular ended up in my hands, I've been using it more than any other binocular I have.  I believe it to be the finest 6x/6.5x binocular currently available.

One of the problems I found in reviewing this binocular is that it does not have much competition currently on the market. 6x and 6.5x binoculars are not especially common, and the ones that are on the market generally stick to the lower end of the market segment.  The closest competitor price-wise is the Leupold Katmai 6x32 which runs ~$130 less than the Viper. Vortex Fury 6.5x32 is ~$170 less.  Vortex Raptor 6.5x32 is 4 times cheaper, while the Yosemite 6x30 hits your wallet with ~6 (!) times less vigor. Hence, this is really not a comparison in a traditional sense of the word.  

In terms of both image and build quality, Viper is the best binocular out of these, but considering the price, it better be.  Hence, I am mostly trying to explain why I bought the Viper 6x32 and why I think it is worth the money.

First of all, here are some numbers for you to peruse. 

Vortex Viper 6x32Leupold Katmai 6x32Leupold Yosemite 6x30          Vortex Raptor 6.5x32Vortex Fury 6.5x32
Prism typeRoofRoofPorroPorroRoof
Weight, ounces           19.418.21717.322
Height, inches4.94.14.64.55.3
Width, inches4.8NANA5.75.4
Field of View, ft @1000 yards           420425420410445
Close focus, ft34.916.4154.9
Interpupillary Distance, mm59 - 7557 - 7250 - 7050 - 7055 - 76
Eye Relief, mm       &nbs
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2009 at 00:18
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2009 at 06:22
It truly is a great little binocular, and I enjoyed the time I spent with them!  I agree that finding anything to criticize about it was really nitpicking; it's that good!  Just one more example of "more isn't necessarily better."

Nice review, Ilya!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2009 at 12:58
Thanks for the review.  Looks like they might be a great bino for turkey hunting.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2009 at 13:59
Couldn't wait for the review, bought a pair last year, great binos!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2009 at 16:22
Nice review Koshkin, I wish there were more mid priced bino's available in the 6x32, I'd also like to see a 6x28 which would be usefull for bow hunting.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 19:34
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Nice review Koshkin, I wish there were more mid priced bino's available in the 6x32, I'd also like to see a 6x28 which would be usefull for bow hunting.

I do not know if there is enough size difference between 6x32 and 6x28 to matter.

If you really need something smaller, how about a 8x28?

I would prefer lower magnification, but it is certainly compact.

ILya
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2010 at 14:51
Thanks for the review Ilya, got mine ordered today. hoping they will be my go to nighttime glass for dog hunting. really learned to like the 6x30, bow hunting the north Michigan woods this past fall along with some nature observation. can't beat large fov and eye relief for comfortable viewing. i'm hoping the vipers will have the night time performance i need in these hunting situations. and if all fails i'm confident i will have a good 6x32 day glass...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic