OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - hello foks...new guy with question on super sniper
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

hello foks...new guy with question on super sniper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zingpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hello foks...new guy with question on super sniper
    Posted: December/07/2009 at 11:12
i will be picking up a rem 700ltr 223 on wednesday...i have looked at the super sniper scopes online here and the graphics they use for the mildot make the dots look like they are the size of a dime and the crosshairs look thick...i have owned leupolds with their nice fine duplexes, i have a couple bushnell elites with nice crosshairs and a weaver grand slam...i need to know how proportionate the mil dots on the website are to reality...i looked at a leupold vx-3 with the varmints reticle today and it was sweet, the crosshairs and dots are very fine indeed...i will be shooting from 100 to 300 yards...thanks in advance...zp...
ps...i shoot nice airguns and have a 17 hmr...here in southern michigan we can not hunt with centerfire rifles so i've been hesitant to buy one just to shoot but here i am...usmc 1968-1972...zp...
you can always make more money but you can never buy back the time...

if you can't work through the pain you'll die on the battlefield...
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2009 at 13:34
The dots on the reticle are .2 mils each which at a hundred yards cover about .72 inches. I am not sure of the thickness of the cross hairs, but I believe they are .1 mil, which at a hundred yards would cover about .36 inches. BTW welcome to the O.T. Semper Fi! and thank you for your service!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
zingpow View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zingpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2009 at 16:04
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

The dots on the reticle are .2 mils each which at a hundred yards cover about .72 inches. I am not sure of the thickness of the cross hairs, but I believe they are .1 mil, which at a hundred yards would cover about .36 inches. BTW welcome to the O.T. Semper Fi! and thank you for your service!
semper fi billy, thanks for the info...i looked through a leupold today with the varmint reticle in it and i'll probably start saving my nickles and dimes for that one, it was a 8 to 32 x 50 and at over a thousand dollars i'll pass, i will be getting the 4.5-14x40...i got the rifle as i stumbled onto the deal of the century on it...it was on the short list and the deal i got pushed me over the top...i pick it up this wednesday...my best to you and yours...zp...

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2009 at 18:30
Welcome to The OT, ZP.
Good shooting and best of luck with your new rifle.
0311GRUNT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0311GRUNT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2009 at 23:01
OOHRAH DEVILDOG
You cant hit what you cant see
zingpow View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zingpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2009 at 23:19
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Welcome to The OT, ZP.
Good shooting and best of luck with your new rifle.
thanks ct...i called swfa yesterday with the question i posted here and a lady with a voice like an angel suggested i stop in here...i'll be stopping in as i search for a scope, rings and base...zp... 

zingpow View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zingpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2009 at 23:23
Originally posted by 0311GRUNT 0311GRUNT wrote:

OOHRAH DEVILDOG
"get your feet on the yellow footprints you paraplegic piece of pregnant puke"...the phrase i was greeted with at age 19 when i got off the bus at mcrd san diego, i'll never forget it...semper fi 03...sgt (e-5) zing...

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2009 at 11:14
Originally posted by zingpow zingpow wrote:

OOHRAH DEVILDOG
"get your feet on the yellow footprints you paraplegic piece of pregnant puke"...the phrase i was greeted with at age 19 when i got off the bus at mcrd san diego, i'll never forget it...semper fi 03...sgt (e-5) zing...
Laugh HOOOAAH!!!!!
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
zingpow View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zingpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2009 at 14:49
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

Originally posted by zingpow zingpow wrote:

OOHRAH DEVILDOG
Laugh HOOOAAH!!!!!
ahhhhhera cyborg...i've been reading people's opinions of the super sniper all day, my brains are fried and i can barely see...i looked at a leupy mk 2 earlier today and liked it of course...just don't think i need $1000 sitting on top of my 700lrt...it's colder than a witch's tit in a snowbank here right now so i have a few months to read and listen to what real shooters have to say...we'll see...zp...

gdane View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2009 at 21:56
zingpow --

Not sure if you've had a chance to look through a Super Sniper yet. When I was shopping scopes, I had the same question with regard to SWFA's illustration on the scope page. Not even close (Sorry SWFA, no offense).

I've attached two JPGs that illustrate the reticle. Note that these are not photos, but fairly accurate representations.

The first illustration shows the general view, relationship between the dots and cross hairs. The second illustration shows the mil dot area in greater detail -- more accurate with regard to the size of the dots compared to the fine cross hairs.

reticle 1   reticle 2

As mentioned in earlier posts, these dots are .2 in diameter. Cross hair between dots is .8 in length. One mil (of course) from center to center of two adjacent dots.

I'm neither a former Marine nor LEO. But I've been shooting high power all my life, and hunting antelope, mule deer, elk and bighorn sheep in Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and Arizona. I've seen the birth, life and death of several scopes on my Rem. 700 30-06. The Super Sniper (10x42) is the first scope I've mounted on a rifle that I don't feel like I have to baby. I'm careful, sure, but from what I've read and heard (like you, I read reviews 'til my eyes bled), and am now experiencing firsthand, this thing is about as close to indestructible as a scope can be, and still give a great view.

The best aspect in my book, though, is the repeatability of the turrets. This was a failing on two scopes I had previous to getting the SS. Dialing up and down -- particularly when going out to 600 yards and farther, then directly back down to 100 for a box test -- the SS nails it every time.

Sure, you can get better scopes for more money. A lot more money. If you're the type that doesn't need the most expensive hardware to claim bragging rights at the range, but is mainly interested in an accurate and highly durable scope for a third what you'll pay for a comparable Leupold, the SS is the best scope available.

Again, I'm not military or LE. My life doesn't depend on my scope, or my rifle. But I love shooting, and I hate it when someone says, "You get what you pay for," when stuff breaks. I got a lot more than I paid for when I bought my SS. And if it breaks (big IF), SWFA guarantees it for life.

Call it the Sears Craftsman of the telescope world -- not the most expensive tool on the rack, but a damned good one for the money.

By the way, if you're like me, you'll read about scopes 'til the cows come home, stressing over which is the best for the money, fretting that you'll no sooner get one and a better one will come along. Do yourself a big favor. Buy the SS. Be done with it and get to shooting with it. You'll love it.

When you do, crank those turrets all the way up and down four or five times. Maybe more. These things are packed with grease for a reason, and have a hefty o-ring to boot -- maybe for shooting critters on the ocean floor. Loosen it up a little before you go out and dial it in.

Enjoy.

zingpow View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zingpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2009 at 11:25
thanks gdane, that really helps...everytime i get out there looking at scopes one of you fine gentlemen reel me back in...i'd love a varmint hunter's reticle but i'll take reason, price and need over delusion and want everytime...i can't imagine a scenario where i will ever need more than an ss as i'm a fair weather range man, if the wind is howling i'll go for a walk...

thank you again for your illustration and fine report...i put it on my favorites bar so if i get "out there" again i'll just pop it up and read it...zp...

axaviere View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axaviere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 03:54
thank you for your service and sacrifice. you might want to look on snipershide.com they have a video review of the SS scopes. nice for the price
just a guy with a rifle
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 07:57
Originally posted by axaviere axaviere wrote:

you might want to look on snipershide.com they have a video review of the SS scopes. nice for the price

zingpow View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zingpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 08:26
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by axaviere axaviere wrote:

you might want to look on snipershide.com they have a video review of the SS scopes. nice for the price

well here we are, the guy is even using a 700ltr although it's a 308 and mine is a 223...can you tell me the difference between the standard and the hd versions...probably a moot point as i've pretty much decided on the 16 or 20...it would help to know though...zp...

diggler1833 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggler1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 09:04
I had a 16x SS for a wihle that I was shooting on my Remington 5R.  It was everything that I could ask for out of a $300 scope while I was saving up to get something else.  I only shot it at 100 and 200yds but never had to make any aditional adjustments when dialing in the elevation to shoot from one distance to the other.  The glass was decent enough to take any kind of shot in daylight into probably lower light hours.  I will go out on a limb and say that if you were to use it for hunting of any kind a fixed 10x would server you better.  Plus the HD glass in the newer SS would probably net you a bit more shooting light...that and the larger exit pupil on the 10x.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggler1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 09:10
You get mil/mil meaning a milradian based reticle and milradian adjustments with the HD.  The old SS scopes had a mildot reticle, but adjustments were in MOA, meaning that to correct by dailing in you had to do a conversion of mils to MOA before dialing that scope in.  With a mil/mil scope you just dial in the amount needed without having to do the conversion. 

Without trying to make it too difficult here, you might want to read up on a great topic about more tactical optics over on the 'Hide.  http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=378812#Post378812
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 09:38
The glass in both new versions is also supposed to be alot better (I don't own either one so I couldn't tell you first-hand). Not only are the internals calibrated differently, they are also upgraded for strength.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
zingpow View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zingpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 09:45
Originally posted by diggler1833 diggler1833 wrote:

You get mil/mil meaning a milradian based reticle and milradian adjustments with the HD.  The old SS scopes had a mildot reticle, but adjustments were in MOA, meaning that to correct by dailing in you had to do a conversion of mils to MOA before dialing that scope in.  With a mil/mil scope you just dial in the amount needed without having to do the conversion. 

Without trying to make it too difficult here, you might want to read up on a great topic about more tactical optics over on the 'Hide.  http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=378812#Post378812
the swfa is not "the old ss scope" as i understand it, "all the issues from the old have been worked out  between swfa and the manufacturer", quote from a swfa employee...are you saying that only the hd has the mil/mil and the standard ss scopes (the 10, 16 and 20) all need to be converted...zp...

if i'm reading your two posts correctly the hd has better glass and the mil/mil reticle and the standard has inferior glass to the hd and a mil/moa glass...correct me if i'm wrong...zp...

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggler1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 10:54

While I wouldn't call the older model SS glass inferior it is not as good as the newer models.  Other than that though you are correct.

zingpow View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zingpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 12:56
Originally posted by diggler1833 diggler1833 wrote:

While I wouldn't call the older model SS glass inferior it is not as good as the newer models.  Other than that though you are correct.

"not as good as" is the definition of inferior...

thanks dig...i'll keep on digging (no pun intended) for info...zp...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic