OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Remington bolt-action

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remington bolt-action
    Posted: December/06/2009 at 14:08

Hello,

I am searching for a Remington 700 bolt-action to build a custom hunting rifle.

Is it possible to buy the bolt-action only or do I need to find a scrapped rifle?

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2009 at 14:21
if you check gun broker they have them from time to time, there are some companies that make m700 actions, i wouldnt call them clones, because in most cases they are better than the factory made ones are. companies like surgeon and nesika bay make target quality actions. i guess a lot depends on how much you want to spend.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2009 at 16:04
Check to see if Midway still sells them.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2009 at 17:23
Check places like pawn shops that have trashed guns.  You looking for a donor action.  So somthing in an odd caliber that you can get a good price on. Maybe a bad barrel ect.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2009 at 17:53
google go go varmint dot com

guy there by the name of Dave strips Remmy 700's and sells parts, including actions.
BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2009 at 07:31
I think brown ells sells just the actions as well.
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2009 at 15:44
Originally posted by BillyWayne BillyWayne wrote:

I think brown ells sells just the actions as well.

They used to, but not anymore.  I've found it's usually a lot less expensive to just find a beat up, abused 700 at a pawn shop, gun show, etc and salvage the action.  Chances are, there will be nothing wrong with the action mechanically.  You'll most likely be refinishing the barreled action anyway, so if it has some surface rust, it will be removed in the finish prep.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2009 at 18:48

Yeah, you can still usually find a beat-up 700 for $300 or even less, if you look around and have a little patience. Another one to look for is the Remington 78, which was a cheaper version of the 700: same action but "hardwood" stock.

magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2009 at 09:59
I used a S&W (Howa) action to build my .338/06.   Got it for a song as the finish was in sad shape.  Action, rebarrel (E.R. Shaw), wood refinish (myself) and metal refinish (local smith) <$600
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2009 at 13:25
I have been looking for Remington actions for some time now.  I have searched on the internet as well as the stores mentioned above.  It is always hit and miss.  I have yet to find them, in one place and seperate.  Brownell's only sell CZ 500's and Dakota's.  Midway use to sell them but no longer.  Your best bet is to find a used rifle at a pawn shop or something like that.  However, if you are lucky enough to find a place that sells them, please PM me, I need a couple right now.   Bandito

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2009 at 13:28
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2009 at 14:14
Yep, I have delt with those guys before.  They were unable to deliver.  Kept telling me that the actions were unavailable.  Plus, you are only getting the action, so you will still need a follower and mag floor plate etc. 
Still gonna be cheaper to find a used rifle and use all of the parts.  JMO!

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2009 at 14:20
or sell what you aren't going to use.....stock, barrel..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic