OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Savage Mark II...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Savage Mark II...
    Posted: December/05/2009 at 23:55

Looking for opinions of these rifles. Has anyone on here ever got their hands on one or used one???

I've got a BTVLS on order (same one as below)...I will be putting a Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40 (with S.F.) on it...undecided yet whether to ditch the factory mounts and put on a E.G.W. Tactical Picatinny Rail...wait and see.

Edited by The Apostle - April/17/2010 at 05:36
John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2009 at 09:12
Now that looks nice! Even has the bolt on the correct side.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2009 at 09:23
been shooting one for a little over a year now, long range remington and winchester subsonic-- out to 200 yds. you will need lots of moa in the mount if the scope doesn't have it. savage is coming out with one in a "tactical  trainer", but I'm not sure the comb is high enough-- good time for a Karsten.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2009 at 09:35

Specific to this forum... the new MkII TR and TRR should be of interest to those of you who wanted a more tactical style stock on your trainer rifle - looks like Savage was listening.

MK II TR

MK II TRR

And then for something completely different (and a little fruity looking, but still kinda cool):

Edited by Dale Clifford - December/06/2009 at 09:35
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2009 at 04:46
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

And then for something completely different (and a little fruity looking, but still kinda cool):

Is that the Savage Mark II L.S.D. Model??? Big Grin
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2009 at 06:50

Savage mod. tutta frutta. ---don't know-- I really like the regular thumbhole stock. Its probably the best improvement, as I think the action and barrel have been around along time. Got the gun on the recommendation of Mithran, an OT member and contributer. I'm not sure the fiberglass/plastic one would be stiff enough, also the above model would be very front end heavy. Biggest downfall is the magazines, had to go through four of the 10 rd'ers with lip adjustment to get 2 working correctly. With close to 3000 rds of subsonic its still going strong.

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2009 at 02:14
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

Biggest downfall is the magazines, had to go through four of the 10 rd'ers with lip adjustment to get 2 working correctly. With close to 3000 rds of subsonic its still going strong.

Savages seem to be catching on big time over here in Australia.

While we're talking about problems...i've heard of two of them (not enough to cause me to rethink getting one) with the Savage Mark 2 / 93 / 17 series of rimfire rifles but they aren't really the rifles fault.

One is magazine extraction problems...supposedly caused by the lip at the top of the magazine not being bent right. Second one is when the rifle won't eject a spent shell...supposedly caused by A) fouling B) certain types of ammo and C) cycling the rifles action too slowly.

I've heard a couple of others but these seem to be just one offs.

In the latest edition (December 2009) of the 'Australian Shooter' magazine (pictured right) a bloke by the name of Thomas Tabor (from the U.S.A.) reviews two Savage rimfires. I haven't got my copy yet but I went to a local library yesterday and quickly read the article. He reviews two rifles, one a 17 series (.17 HMR) and one a 93 series (.22 Mag), both of them have the laminated thumbhole stock (like the one i'm getting). When I get the magazine i'll scan the article and post it on here.

I've been told by my dealer that my Mark 2 BTVLS is coming in the next few days. Can't wait see it.

Cheers.

Edited by The Apostle AK - December/08/2009 at 02:18
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2009 at 09:10
most 22's have mag problems, one one sort or another, mostly its a timing issue, when does the lips release the round to be pushed in by the bolt, and it the round is too high it will hit the back of the empty on the ejection and knock it off the extractor, sometimes getting everything orchestrated is half the battle (win. mod 52).
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2009 at 05:27
Is it true that Savage tests and supplies a test target with all Savage Mark 2s, 93s and 17s rimfires (and their Stevens branded cousins)???
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2009 at 12:02
didn't get one with mine, wouldn't trust it anyway,any rimfire will depend the ammo used, at it headspaces on the rim, thickness,primer mix, firing pin strike, play to much in the final result.
diggler1833 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggler1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 10:08
I bought a MK II a couple of years ago used for a bit under $300.  It had the Royal Jacaranda thumbhole laminate stock and a cheap BSA scope on it (which I promptly broke dialing in elevation).

All I have done is bed it into the stock and cut a coil off of the accutrigger spring and that rifle is a little laser with the ammo it likes (Wolf MT, Wolf ME, Eley yellow box stuff, SK Standard...etc).  It will hold sub 1/4" at 25 and sub 1/2" at 50 all day long with that ammo.  At 100 the wind starts to take some more play into it and the best I can do is keep it around an inch, maybe a bit larger.

On to the pics, here is the rifle.

Here are four 5-shot groups with the Wolf stuff at 25yds, three of the groups are uner .2

Here is the SK stuff at 25yds (left row) and 50yds (right row)
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2009 at 03:25
Now thats what I call a post ! Excellent

And nice shooting too! Thunbs Up

Savages (both RF's and CF's) are starting to catch on big time over here in Australia. With accuracy like that, their RF's could maybe one day knock off BRNO/CZ as Australias biggest selling rimfire brand.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic