OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

best scope under $500

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2009 at 01:03
You're right Zeiss just discontinued the 2.5-8.  Although I will say that you can get one at some shops yet.  No harm meant to SWFA.  Good luck in whatever you choose.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2009 at 02:09
I think that of the tweener scopes Vortex Viper 2-7x32 with C3 reticle is probably the best bang for the buck currently, since there is a $50 rebate until the end of the month.

We had a discussion on scopes of this type a while back:

ILya
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2009 at 13:54
GOOD NEWS. Since its discontinued I had to look elsewhere(nothing against SWFA). Just bought a  the Zeiss 2.5-8 for $375. I feel very happy. I will update everyone once I receive it.
Now I just gotta figure out the correct ring height. Thanks everyone for their reccommendations.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2009 at 14:00
you wont be disappointed great scope!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2009 at 14:20
Does anyone have a handi rifle? Recommend a ring height. I purchased a hammer extentsion. I know there are some complications cause the scope has to be mounted higher due to the exposed hammer.

Im very excited. Zeiss scope. Sounds sweet. Optics will be worth more than the gun. I really looking forward to getting. Never owned a scope of this value/quality. 
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 07:55
I got my scope the other day. I mounted it. I havent had a chance to shoot it.  But I really looking forward to it. The Zeiss is the most expensive scope I own and wow. Just from looking out the back poarch on the field. Wow. Clear and bright even in low light, and I can see what I am looking at. I would post some pictures, but i dont know how.
bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 08:07
Ya, I like my new 2.5-8x32 Conquest also.  Great scope - too bad sales were not good enough to keep it in the lineup. 
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 08:41
No one really answered you question about the rifle.. I have one and most of my friends have at least one as well. They are accurate enough for most hunting purposes but every one I have seen needs a good trigger job since they seem too all have 7-9lb triggers. Find a good gunsmith and you should probably be able to get it done for a reasonable price.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 09:14
I mounted the scope. using my burris sig zee rings. Using a a bore laser i realized that i gonna need some moa inserts for them. It is pretty close to the maxed out the scope on moa comeup. So get some of those . I ordered them. They should be here next week, I will correct them, and hopefully go zero it next weekend. As far as the trigger goes. I think I will eventually get another barrel for it, so whenever I decide to send it to H&R, I will have them bring it down. Its prob about 6 pounds right now. 
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2009 at 12:38
Can anyone tellme how to post pictures on here.
I emailed Zeiss but they did not answer me yet. On a Zeiss 2.5-8x32 mc conquest with zplex, can anyone tell me on 8x what the moa distance is from cross hairs to post, or post to post?
bossbowman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bossbowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2009 at 14:38
stork23raz,  pm sent
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2009 at 14:58
Well guys i shot my handi rifle with my awesome ziess scope. I compared it to a crappy barska i had on a 22 my friend was shooting. bright and clear. daylight and dark. WOW I could see snow flakes blowing off trees and over hundred hards. the gun did horrible(6" group) scope i am  very happy with. that scope was worth every penny. Now if i can get the gun to cooperate.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2009 at 15:13
Originally posted by stork23raz stork23raz wrote:

Well guys i shot my handi rifle with my awesome ziess scope. I compared it to a crappy barska i had on a 22 my friend was shooting. bright and clear. daylight and dark. WOW I could see snow flakes blowing off trees and over hundred hards. the gun did horrible(6" group) scope i am  very happy with. that scope was worth every penny. Now if i can get the gun to cooperate.

What distance?
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2009 at 15:36
Hope you work out the issues with accuracy, I would think you should be able to shoot at least 2" groups at 100yds.  Make sure everything is snugg on your scope setup and try a few different types of ammo.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2009 at 17:13
prob about 110 yards..  scope is excellent. using burris signature zee rings. rings and base both torqued and loctite.  i just need the gun to do less than 3moa. 2 would be what i prefer. im gonna try to use a o-ring and/or float the forend. did some reading on it. 
bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 01:10

the Zeiss will make the most out of your rifle.  We gotta let Carl(the company) know that the 2.5-8x32 is a damn fine scope and to keep it in the Conquest lineup.

BadgerRed
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 07:22
Without a doubt. I would buy another one
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic