OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Lobbying mortars!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lobbying mortars!
    Posted: December/04/2009 at 02:27
The other day I had some visitors. They dearly wanted to fire a rifle, so I took them out to the range.
Afterwards, for fun I took them to the 600 yds firing point. The range was not well kept at this distance, as it was seldom used. As I lay down I noticed that weeds growing between us and the target badly obscured the target.
However, as I checked my line of trajectory, versus line of sight, I noticed I would be lobbying the bullet over the weeds. (308Win cal).
So we fired away, lobbying the bullets over the weeds. Really quite a weird experience, and it clearly illustrated the arc of the bullet at about 5 feet!!!
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2009 at 05:09
Yeah Wouter, @ 1000 it's over 31ft. that bullet is dropping like a rock literally.  LOL 
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2009 at 06:45
Lobbying
 Lobbing

Fixed it for you, Wout!

It is amazing to stand behind a shooter at 1000 yards when conditions allow you to clearly see the trace. 
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2009 at 09:16
The only thing wrong with saying "lobbying" is that over here it brings up all sorts of unpleasant thoughts regarding the scumbags who hang around equally scummy politicians. I say lob a few at a few lobbyists.

RONK, it is really cool. We caught the sun at the right angle one morning shooting out to 600 yds. and could see the glint off the bullets as they closed in on the target. We were shooting NNE about two hours after sunrise.  
Reaction time is a factor...
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2009 at 18:20
 When it occurred to me, it was when firing in a Palma Match shooting due west shortly after dawn on a clear morning. I was scoring for the shooter in front of me. When he fired, you could pick up the trace very clearly at about 200 yards out and watch it arch WAYYYY up and then drop back down into the target, losing it against the target face just before seeing the impact splash in the sand berm behind the target.
 It really was amazing to watch. 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2009 at 18:24
I lobby mortars... with several hundred rounds of 20mm...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2009 at 07:26
I watched a 22-250 round launched at my steel gong at 700 yards..........that is quite a drop for that little bullet. Somehow it doesn't seem to have the same punch at that range as the 185 Berger either.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2009 at 11:56
It is sweet when you can see the bullet.  I also love the days when the conditions are perfect, and you can hear the bullet flight all the way to the target.  Had a target set up about 1200 yards out on the farm last year and you could hear it all the way out.  Was pretty sweet.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic