OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tough Question on High End Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakAk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2009 at 12:17
Now That I got it narrowed down a bit, I have a reticle question.  I do not have the opportunity to compare them in person and only on paper or should I say internet.  I like the looks of the Zeiss #4. How does it compare to S&B #7?  They look very close to me.  It seems that Zwarovski #4a and #7 are wider between the thick post.

I am correct or close?

Steve
0311GRUNT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0311GRUNT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2009 at 12:55
Go down to your local range and take a peek through some other folks' glass. This is a surefire way to get some real world feel of each one as well ie weight and ruggedness along with clarity of sight picture.
You cant hit what you cant see
YakAk View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakAk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2009 at 23:18
0311GRUNT,

That is a good suggestion.  The only problem is my nearest rifle range is 250 miles by plane and will not be open until late spring.  I will have to wait till I head down to the "states" this summer to do my comparisons.

Steve
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 16:59
Originally posted by Stein3282 Stein3282 wrote:

I do not know anything compared to the people on this boeard, but would a Kahles CL not be considered as good as some of the ones you are decribing? Especially when you can pick one up for $600 or less brand new at another site. If I overstepped my boundaries sorry. Just curious as I own the CL in 3x9x42 and it sits so high on the 2009 scope ratings.

Yes, Kahles is right up there with the other high-end brands.  As RC said, the only knock against it is the lack of a US importer and domestic based service center at the moment.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
YakAk View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakAk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 10:43
If there is no other comments on reticles, I will let this thread die.

Thanks to all for you help.

Steve
cruft View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2009 at 07:39
On my CZ fullstock 270 is mounted a Burris euro diamond 1.5-6 with illuminated reticle.  $630 here check it out.    doubt there is $1,000 worth of difference.  my 2 cents.
NV Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NV Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2010 at 13:04
The new Leica riflescope looks like a winner... super long eye relier, easy to mount, a true ballistic reticle and Leica quality to boot... I have ordered a 2.5-10x42... Mrs. Claus was good to me!  <wink>    
YakAk View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakAk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2010 at 13:51
NV Hunter,

That sounds great! Please give us a review when you get a chance.

Thanks,
Steve
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2010 at 14:19
I have a 2 Zeiss Conquest scopes (3.5-10x44 & 4.5-14x50) both with Z-Plex reticles.  I just purchased a Swarovski 6-18x50 AV-6 with the BR Reticle.  That evening around 11 PM I took that scope and the rifle the Zeiss 4.5-14x50 is mounted to outside to do a side by side comparision.

In terms of light gathering ability I'd favor the Swarovski, but only by a smidgen.  Clarity, color, resolution were a draw.  I wonder if because the Zeiss has SF while Swarovski has AO if that played into it the very slightest of differences I detected.  In addition, my wife, daughter & son came to the sme comclusion but we all spwnt about a half hour or so comparing the two.  Eitherway, you won't be disappointed.

One thing to consider though regarding warranty work, Zeiss's warranty transfers.  I don't know, but I'm under the impression that the Swarovski warranty is to the original owner only.  Perhaps someone from SWFA can chime in and clarify.  I don't know what Schmidt & Benders policy is.

HTH

faldoc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faldoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2010 at 17:13
What focal plane did you select and why? Just wondering.
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2010 at 17:31
Both scopes are SFP.  If I were in the man hunting profession then I'd choose a FFP scope.   For varmint hunting I have SFP scopes but if a FFP scope came along that I like then I'd consider it.  For big game, I'll stick to SFP.

FWIW, these two scopes come in SFP.

HTH,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic