OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

IMR4895

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IMR4895
    Posted: December/02/2009 at 16:34
 I know there are better powders for what I want but right now I have a lot of this and want to use some up.
 So does anyone have a good load data for 117 gr. bullet for the 25-06 using this powder.
 I found a few offerings for the 120 gr.and the 85 but nothing for 117.
 Any help?
froggy
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 17:00
37-40gr is what is listed for h-4895 in my lee manual, there isnt much difference between the two. they sit right next to each other on the burn rate chart.to be real honest with you 4895 isnt a very good choice for a case like the 25-06. pretty fast powder for that size of case. much better suited for smaller stuff like the .243 or the 22-250. the 25-06 is better powered by slow stuff like 4831 r-19 etc.

Edited by pyro6999 - December/03/2009 at 09:33
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 17:58
 Thanks Pyro. Any others?
froggy
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2009 at 13:43
Burn rates simular to the 4831's or r19 are a good starting point for the 25-06, 4895 is a little to fast in my opinion.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2009 at 08:06
Hello rjtfroggy,
Disclaimer first, I haven't yet loaded for the .25-06, but have loaded since the late 70's and have acquired a fair library for hand  loading, from which these statements are based.

IMR4895 loads generally need about average +5% by weight increase over listed H4895 loads to achieve the same pressure in .30-06 and variant cases. IMR 4895 generally delivers higher velocities than H4895. I'm sure you've already figured out that IMR 4895 will work better with lighter .25 bullets.

You may have discovered that both H and IMR4895 have great low- end performance (H is a bit better) and both are famous for allowing reduced loads of 20% (and more perhaps- test, test, test) from max charge without harm.

Some buddies and I really like to just wander around the river canyons and blast away all day long at stumps and what have you and reduced loads help us to keep having fun without beating ourselves up and our barrels will surely last longer, too.
Of course, we'll always have some real steamers with us.
Never know about those zombie attacks.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2009 at 08:51
 After researching this powder 10 years ago I was informed that it was the militaries powder for all 30 cal loadings for years. Then an old friend who was a gun smith told me it was one of the best all round powders for rifle calibers because you could make up good accurate loads for anything from 223 and up.
 I will agree that it is not the best, but for hunting or just paper shooting you can fine tune and have a very accurate shooting load with just about anything, and I am not a competitve shooter just a guy who loves to shoot and see small groups out at 100-200yards.
froggy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic