OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What do you carry when you go hunting?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2009 at 02:56
I'll throw in a couple of tips:

1.  Carry two (2) compasses, not just one.  I had one around my neck that stayed in the top of a fir tree when I helped a fishing buddy retrieve his last good lure on a Canadian fishing trip.  I didn't miss it until we were well away from that location.  Fortunately, I had a second compass in the tackle box.

2.  Include some self-relighting (trick) birthday candles in your fire-starting gear.  Once they are lit, they won't go out until you cut off the wick with a knife.  Makes starting a fire much easier.

I always carry a good small flashlight with fresh batteries, since it gets dark at the end of every day!  I back that up with a Photon keychain light (which outlasted the flashlight on one cold hunt). 

I also carry water purification tablets, and a firestarter.  (I've had Butane lighters stop working in really cold weather.)  As for "TP" and cleaning up, some sanitary wipes in a ziplock plastic sandwich bag can be very handy.
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2009 at 09:50
You guys have certainly covered all the bases. I thought I carried alot of stuff when I hunted, but evidently not. Ofcourse what ever I drive is always packed. To the stand or blind I carry rifle +10rds. and bow +4 to 6 arrows, steady-ready or shootin stix (for bad left arm) bino's, rangefinder, lighter, phone, flashlight, this agrivating forearm crutch and if needed my lock-on stand. Cloths for the conditions. If I plan to be on stand for more than 4hrs. I'll take water and something to eat. In my truck I keep extra arms/ammo, cloths, tp, firstaid, skinnin knife, bags for the meat and tools.
I've heard many times "don't pee near your stand". Unless you have experience to the contrary I believe it is irrevelant. If anything it may cause curiousity. In fact I have used the need to go to bring young bucks in for a closer look. The sound of water hittin leaves from 16ft. has been more help than hurt. And I have also heard of a few stories where someone peed on a scrape to mess up another hunters stand and the other hunter killed the trophy at that very scrape the next day. I preferr no scent if posible, but thats not always possible.
Something I learned yrs. ago from an old timer is you can sharpen your knife on the top edge of your truck, jeep, car door window. It works very well, especially if it just needs a touch up. Use it just like you would a stone wet or dry doesn't matter. The only time I use anything else is if the knife is really bad or damaged. I even use this to sharpen all our kitchen knives.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2009 at 13:56
Coffee
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2009 at 17:23
Depends on whether I am on horse or foot, but much is still the same.

Gun, full mag + one chambered (unless I am on horse), +10 to 20 rounds
Handgun
Binos
Rangefinder
Knives - several style
Rope
Map and compass, GPS and spare batteries
Backcountry first aid kit
Firestarter, lighters, matches, candles, flint
Water
Food
Clothes - layered to handle all conditions
Space blanket
Cell phone, although many places I go, don't have coverage.
Sunglasses (might seem weird, but on bright days they actually help, especially on the days with lots of snow and bright sunlight.  I use polarized ones.)
Wyoming saw - save me on the last trip I was on.  Can't tell you how handy those things are.

That is about what I can think of.  Will add to it if I remember something.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2009 at 19:04

"The Essentials"

hunting license & tags
rifle (full mag) with Harris Bipod
10 rounds spare
binos
rangefinder
knifes (2)
two-way radio
light weight fanny pack (suspender style) or Camelback pack
water
energy bars
headlamp
small hand held flashlight
couple of glow sticks
small camera
spare batteries
gloves (2 types)
knife sharpener
calls (buck & coyote)
light weight bright orange fabric (towel size)
small first-aid kit
field lens cleaning kit
zip lock baggies
tie wraps
light weight jacket (BDU style shirt or warmer depending on the conditions)
watch
sunglasses (depends)

I'm sure there's a couple more items I'm forgetting about...

If I go on a longer hunt where the terrain makes the retrieve a challenge (so to speak)...

pack frame
bungee cords
same light weight fanny pack with all it's gear (bungee to the frame)
Wyoming saw
portable hanger & hardware
rope
brisket knife
light weight deer sack
couple more waters
cell phone
2-way radio with GPS (depends)
pistol (depends)

and...

toilet paper.

(edited for spelling error)

Edited by mike650 - December/13/2009 at 13:52
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2009 at 19:24
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

"The Essentials"

hunting license & tags
rifle (full mag) with Harris Bipod
10 rounds spare
binos
rangefinder
knifes (2)
two-way radio
light weight fanny pack (suspender style) or Camelback pack
water
energy bars
headlamp
small hand held flashlight
couple of glow sticks
small camera
spare batteries
gloves (2 types)
knife sharpener
calls (buck & coyote)
light weight bright orange fabric (towel size)
small first-aid kit
field lens cleaning kit
zip lock baggies
tie wraps
light weight jacket (BDU style shirt or warmer depending on the conditions)
watch
sunglasses (depends)

I'm sure there's a couple more items I'm forgetting about...

If I go on a longer hunt where the terrain makes the retrieve a challenge (so to speak)...

pack frame
bungee cords
same light weight fanny pack with all it's gear (bungee to the frame)
Wyoming saw
portal hanger & hardware
rope
brisket knife
light weight deer sack
couple more waters
cell phone
2-way radio with GPS (depends)
pistol (depends)

and...

toilet paper.

You sure don't want to run out of Depends, do you, Mike?
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2009 at 19:37
I got a few more years but you never know.  Wink
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2009 at 19:38
 Hey, Helo 18 put them FIRST on his list on the bottom of p.2!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2009 at 20:06
Big Grin
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2009 at 20:07
Looking at the list, it's amazing the stuff that comes out of that little pack and still have room for more.  Big Smile
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2009 at 23:41

My problem is that no matter what I need, it will be at the very bottom of the daypack and I'll have to root through everything else to get it. I need one with more dividers and pockets. I've gone from a fannypack to a larger daypack with a shoulder harness and I like the extra room. I'm not crazy about the straps, as they interfere with shooting somewhat.

What I really need is a small tribe of Masai porters to carry all my stuff around for me...

"Kimbu! Bring me a stick of jerky!"
"Kalu! Fetch me that water bottle!"
 Q'wsili! Bring me that box of Depends!"

Stare

FOG View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 12:19
I spent a lot of time trying to get stuff like this right on military exercises, where often one needs to retrieve something in total darkness (my time was before widespread use of night vision among combat support units).  I found that thinking through the order in which Imight need something was helpful, especially if weather were forecast to be variable.  I also found that it was necessary to repack every day or two to get everything in its correct place. Bear in mind that I am no neat freak, and my home is usually a complete disaster.  I just found it absolutely necessary to be organized when on training exercises in the woods etc..  I was fortunate enough never to have been in actual combat, but I think I would have worked even harder on getting it right there.

More pouches and pockets were helpful, but there was no substitute for thinking it through.  I also made extensive use of waterproof bags.   The Army issues and sells waterproof bags which have roughly the same diameter as the duffel bag.  I found that having three or so of these bags inside my duffel made it easy to get to the bottom by simply pulling out the waterproof bags above.   You can do something analogous with your daypack by buying smaller sstuffsacks and loading particular subsets of your stuff in them.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 12:19
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

My problem is that no matter what I need, it will be at the very bottom of the daypack and I'll have to root through everything else to get it. I need one with more dividers and pockets. I've gone from a fannypack to a larger daypack with a shoulder harness and I like the extra room. I'm not crazy about the straps, as they interfere with shooting somewhat.

What I really need is a small tribe of Masai porters to carry all my stuff around for me...

"Kimbu! Bring me a stick of jerky!"
"Kalu! Fetch me that water bottle!"
 Q'wsili! Bring me that box of Depends!"

Stare

That's funny!!  Big Grin

The fanny pack I use is like a day pack with shoulder harness(suspenders). It has lots of room and little compartments/pockets to organize stuff. The larger stuff (or more often used) gets dropped into the "black hole".

Still looking for that one pack that will do everything I want, for now what I have will do. Thunbs Up

Edited by mike650 - December/13/2009 at 17:19
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 13:16
What nobody with ariel flares.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
FOG View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 13:25
Now we know how all those grass fires started.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 14:40
Jerky...preferably some saved in the freezer from last year's animal(s).
Reaction time is a factor...
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 15:12
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Hey, Helo 18 put them FIRST on his list on the bottom of p.2!

Laugh Above  Easier that tp and a urine jug.

Thought of a few more things.  I saw the on others lists.

TP
Flashlight and headlamp (love the headlamps, keeps both hands free)
Orange Marking tape
Ziplock bags
Electrical tape
Advil
Leather laces
extra socks
glowsticks
signal mirror
water purification tablets
hand and toe warmers

It really is amazing what you can fit in a pack that isn't really that big.  Or in saddle bags.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
DarkEye View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkEye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2009 at 01:44
rifle and box of ammo 
enough Water and Food,
knife 
gloves
map, compass, GPS (if needed )
first aid supplies
communications device

these are the my special things i carry with me. Cool
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2009 at 21:29
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

No astringent..... That stuff is tough on my "starfish"

TMI
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
gr8plmbr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8plmbr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2009 at 21:35
gun
bullets
tp
water
knife
dressing gloves
flashlight
lighter
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic