OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Excessive muzzle flash.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Excessive muzzle flash.
    Posted: December/02/2009 at 09:03
 Please help with muzzle flash problem.

I have been reloading for several years and have never encountered this problem before. Upon firing I experience what I would consider excessive muzzle flash. It even sets small trees alight.

I had a buddy take a picture of me firing. Maybe the experts can take a look and see if they also consider it excessive, or is it normal for this caliber?

Any help much appreciated.

Hopefully the picture is clear enough as posted below.

Edited by 8shots - December/02/2009 at 09:05
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 09:16
just a guess here, but im guessing the amount of powder your using is the culprit wouterLaugh
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 09:31
you need a faster burning powder.lol
BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 12:02
You might also want to try a synthetic grip.  It helps absorb the recoil. 
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 13:01
Thinking  Just guessing here...... Could be time for a clean out of the evacuator......Eek
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 13:54
Funny.  
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 17:04
Looks normal to me. I get the same thing from my 22-250 with light bullets, and lots of powder. Don't worry, perfectly fine.Bucky

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 17:15
Man I hated 29 Palms!

And best of all, they have these little soft-shell turtles that are endangered, yet the Palms is one big impact area.  It seems touching a turtle is bad for it (and an NJP offense) but hot lead falling from the sky ain't so bad for them.

I hate 29 Palms!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 17:17
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Man I hated 29 Palms!

And best of all, they have these little soft-shell turtles that are endangered, yet the Palms is one big impact area.  It seems touching a turtle is bad for it (and an NJP offense) but hot lead falling from the sky ain't so bad for them.

I hate 29 Palms!

Is there ANYPLACE you DON'T hate????
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 17:20
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

I get the same thing from my 22-250 with light bullets, and lots of powder.
I get something simialar when I eat anything with onions. Shocked
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 17:23
I have to make a formal apology to Rancid Coolaid here.  A while back he made a comment about Ft Benning and I slammed him for it... I misundertood.  RC, sincere aplogies.  

I didn't realize you just don't like ANYWHERE.

I do apologize for the misunderstanding...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 17:30
I like Belize and Costa Rica and Maui and parts of Mississippi and North Carolina and Colorado and New Mexico and Montana.

I love Texas - most of it, anyway.

I hate New Orleans and am not a fan of deserts, for some reason.

I love to hate Benning, and Ft Sill too, wasn't real fond of California either (parts are beautiful, but you just can't enjoy sandly beaches when humping them with a 50-pound pack, same with the mountains, the pack kills the beauty.)

No problem KB, internet makes it hard to read people.  Generally, I'm not a hater, except for...
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2009 at 16:26
I would have to agree with RC on the weight of the pack influencing ones perception of a particular place! And I was born and raised in the desert, but also despise "The Stumps"! 
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2009 at 21:47
Excessive muzzle blast can be a real pain, but it can be fun, too.

Used to have a "blast" loading 296 in a .45LC Blackhawk with light bullets which produced about a beachball sized flame and a "loud report".  This also produced a universal reaction from fellow shooters at the range- "WTH are you shootin' over there."

Also figured if it ever came down to it and in the heat of the moment if I couldn't shoot straight, I might as well intimidate 'em.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
msweet16 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msweet16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 00:53
Try a custom Vortex. I'm sure that will cure the problem. BTW, what's wrong with a little 4th of July when you know you're eleminating the world of a bunch of sh*tcakes? Show your bling! Say goodbye mfs. Rocket Launcher
Send em to hell in 2010.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic