OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Super Sniper 10x42HD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Sniper 10x42HD
    Posted: December/02/2009 at 00:32

Topic: Super Sniper 10x42HD

Posted: 28/November/2009 at 11:42 By Kickboxer

General: I've spent some time comparing this scope (the Super Sniper (SS) 10x42HD to others of different objective sizes all set at 10x magnification.    The Nikon Laser IRT 4-12x42@10x, Leatherwood 2.5-10x44@10x, Springfield Armory(SA) Professional Gen III 6-20x56@10x, Zeiss Victory Diavari 2.5-10x42@10x were all used for comparison.  

I compared against a few others at different magnification levels.  I started to compare to the NcStar at 10x, but I'm saving that one for the Nikko Stirling comparison.

The HD glass (per Lowlight from Sniper's Hide in video review dated 20Oct09) in the SS10x42HD provides a bright, clear image with minimal visible aberration.  When a light reflects off the ocular at some odd angles, there is a requirement to readjust position for a clear view.  That effect is noticeable in other scopes, as well, but not so much with the Zeiss and the SA.  I tried several rifles with the above listed scopes at various times of the day.  The SS performs as well as any of them, with a slight advantage to the Zeiss and the SA.

Low light:  I used my optics lab standard resolution chart for low light comparisons.  The method used is visual observation of the chart through the different scopes at 10 minute intervals beginning at well before "sundown",

increasing to 5 minute intervals at 15 minutes before sundown and 1 minute intervals 5 minutes before sundown.  

After the time of "sundown" is reached, observations are taken at 1 minute intervals until the lines on the resolution chart fade to a gray blur and the lines can no longer be resolved.  The SS holds its own with any of the scopes tested against, but the Zeiss and the SA allowed resolution a couple of minutes after the SS.  For the Zeiss, it is overall glass quality, for the SA the 56mm objective makes the difference.  On different days, under different cloud cover conditions from zero to heavy, the SS allows shots far beyond the legal hunting time for any state in the United States.  Under bright moon conditions, shots can be taken at night.  That does not say it must be a full moon, just a bright moon.  If the background is very dark it is difficult to pick up the reticle in "lowlight" conditions.  If the moon is behind the target... dead target.  

Reticle:&nbs

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 10:48
Good review Dan.

I've tortured my 10xHD a fair bit and it holds up just fine.  I do not have any of the big boomers that you have, but I will try to run it on a 338Lap for a while and see how it holds up.

Optically, the scope is excellent and a serious step up from the original 10x42 SS.  You would have to pay a LOT more money to do better.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2009 at 09:12
An update.  I have been doing some detailed performance (my eyes) comparisons to other scopes in low light situations.  The SS performs as well or better than several set at lower power options than 10x.  

Just a comment on how well people read things.  In my ORIGINAL post upon receiving the SS10xHD, I made reference to difficulties in adjusting the "power ring"... just stirring the pot.  

It's a 10x, folks... there IS no power ring...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2009 at 09:48
Nice job, Dan!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2009 at 19:04
I definately like mine.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2009 at 15:26
I gotta get one...

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2009 at 17:42
Originally posted by Trays 7940 Trays 7940 wrote:

I gotta get one...

You won't ever be sorry...

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2010 at 22:50
Trays, did you get the HD, yet?

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2010 at 12:51
So ILya... where's this review of the 10xHD you've been talking about???????   Bet 666 is better than yours...

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2010 at 12:57
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

So ILya... where's this review of the 10xHD you've been talking about???????   Bet 666 is better than yours...

I had one ready, but since you have published yours I decided to hold it back a little.  

Mostly in order to let you have your moment in the sun... since yours is so comprehensive there isn't much to add.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2010 at 13:01
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I had one ready, but since you have published yours I decided to hold it back a little.  

Mostly in order to let you have your moment in the sun... since yours is so comprehensive there isn't much to add.

ILya

I'm going out in my backyard and shooting pumpkins with Elvira...

Edited by Kickboxer - January/09/2010 at 13:04

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2010 at 13:36

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

ILya

I'm going out in my backyard and shooting pumpkins with Elvira...

Oops...  Did I leave that phrase in there?

Either way, why pumpkins?  did you run out of trees?Devil

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2010 at 13:41
Pumpkins EXPLODE... 

I am currently restricted by the authorities to only shooting trees which contain poacher stands.  

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2010 at 13:50

Pumpkins EXPLODE... 

I am currently restricted by the authorities to only shooting trees which contain poacher stands.  

Poacher stands?

Can I stop by and talk to them before you resort to shooting?

You know how persuasive I can be...

(I recently watched the movie Avatar, so I have this urge to hug a tree or two...)

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2010 at 14:03

Additional test data:

For some reason this won't post in the right direction, but this is 10 rounds .50BMG fired with no rest, my best possible sitting position, at 100yds with the SS10xHD.  1.92in group is not my best, but I don't get to shoot as much as I used to.  I'm not proud of it, but it is what it is.  

Just testing the az/windage, this is six clicks left.  About as close as it gets.

This is 12clicks left.  I stopped there because tempting fate for my shooting skills didn't make any more sense (I was getting pretty tired holding up that 18lb rifle).  However, the SS10xHD performed as specified.  I am more and more impressed with the SS10xHD in all areas of performance.  It seems to be a perfect match for the .50.  Now, I just need to get it to a range where I can stretch its and the .50's legs a bit.  

billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 16:07
Hey Dan, bring it to my house! Got lots of room around here!Sharp Shooter
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 17:16
I will be in that "direction" in Feb or Mar.  I hope to get time to get it out there, this time.  

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 18:29

I will be in that "direction" in Feb or Mar.  I hope to get time to get it out there, this time.  

Let me know when you are around.  I'll bring Kahena with me.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 18:36
Wilco...
Don't forget, I am actually in Yuma, not near Tucson.  There is a really nice range there.  Last time I was there there were actually some shooters.  They were HARD CORE.   Brought tents and motor homes and set up right on the range property.  Stayed there shooting for 3 days.  None were shooting on the LONG range range, though.  Max 550.  

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 18:42

Wilco...
Don't forget, I am actually in Yuma, not near Tucson.  There is a really nice range there.  Last time I was there there were actually some shooters.  They were HARD CORE.   Brought tents and motor homes and set up right on the range property.  Stayed there shooting for 3 days.  None were shooting on the LONG range range, though.  Max 550.  

Yuma is a lot closer for me than Tucson.  If we plan well enough in advance, I might be able to pull it off.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic