OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

1911 Choices

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tennessean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1911 Choices
    Posted: December/01/2009 at 12:56

After making a couple of firearm purchases with some of the information gleaned from this great website, I hope I can impose once again.

I’ve always wanted a 1911 style pistol [just because], and after a couple of months of looking around and doing some research, I’ve narrowed it down to three choices.  They are:

Kimber Custom CDPII

Colt Gold Cup Trophy Stainless

Para Ordnance Super Hawg

I wanted something in .45ACP, American made, reputation for reliability and accuracy, around $1300 max, and have a certain “look” to it.  I’m sure others fit the bill, but the 3 listed above are the ones I’m specifically interested in.

Anyone own one of these and care to comment?  Thanks in advance.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 13:03
I have had the CDPII before.  It was a fine pistol that went bang all the time.  I really liked how it had no sharp edges on it.

I have had 3 para pistols.  I had two of them with the double stack mags and personally did not have good luck with them.  Lots of failure to feed issues which I am pretty sure was mag related.  I had a single stack Para and with Wilson mags it performed well.  With the stock para mag it had issues though.  A good cop buddy of mine had the P14 and had a lot of issues with his mags as well. 

Any of those would be a good pistol (para as long as its single stack, Just my opinion based on my 2 pistols).  I would just get the one that best fits your list of needs.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 13:32
FWIW, I have been very, very happy with my Springfield stainless

I would look hard at STI as well

at some point down the road I WILL own a custom Wilson
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 13:38
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

at some point down the road I WILL own a custom Wilson

I got to use my buddies brand new Tactical Elite for a 2 day pistol class.  WOW, is all I can say.  It was one amazing pistol.  I would love one as well.

Edited by supertool73 - December/01/2009 at 13:51
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 14:28
go with the kimber
"I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace."
Thomas Payne, Revolutionist
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 14:38
I have 2 Kimber 45's a full size stainless and the Custom CDPII, which is the one I carry, its easy to stick in your pocket as well. I just received 2 10 shot Chip McCormick mags. for it today. I hope they work well. Anyway point being these pistols have been great, I like Kimbers, no problems. I do not shoot them alot either though.......
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 15:33
take a hard look at springfields loaded series, before deciding anything.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 16:27
that's what mine started out as, a stainless loaded
added magwell and dawson precision front fiber optic site and adjustable rear
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 17:49
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

+1Excellent
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 22:00
Originally posted by HuntMaster HuntMaster wrote:

Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

+1Excellent

+2
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 05:27
 If you want a 1911 then buy the Colt. Personaly I would go with a Defender or Officer's Elite, still 1911 but small enough for conceal carry.
 Remember COLT stands for 1911 everything else is just a copy.
froggy
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 06:18
FUSION FIREARMS. Talk to Bob Serva the owner (he was formerly the Big Cheese at Dan Wesson). You can get exactly what you want the way you want it. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 07:33
Colts are copies, colt manufact. as known in the series 70 and series 80 doesn't exist anymore.
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 08:18
 Copies of whom. They are still built from Brownings original design with some improvements, The improvements were for the better and besides for everyone sold some one in my home state continues to have a job.
froggy
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 09:30
then your statement reduces to-- unless its a browning its a copy.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 09:37
Pretty much all 1911's are built from Brownings original design with improvements. Plus both Springfield and Kimber as well as others are built in the USA.

My experience with Colt is they are good but I had to pay more to get the same performance. 
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 09:50
most improvements offered by major manufacturers, were "invented" by small parts makers over the last 20-30 years, and have little to do with Colt, or browning. ----smith and alexander mag wells, clark beaver tails, swenson (and related copies) extended thumb safes, wilson ramped barrels, bomar sights, videcki triggers, brownell catalog. And this also includes some not so good stuff, kimbers MIM parts, para-ordinace frames, colt stock barrels (this one alone started a complete cottage industry), colt factory magazines, colt factory sites,
Tennessean View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tennessean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2009 at 17:07
I appreciate all the feedback guys.  While taking a look at the loaded Springfields as suggested, I also found another 1911 that sparked my interest - a Dan Wesson (CZ) Pointman Seven in .45ACP.  Looks like they are being discontinued in 2010, and switching from a cast stainless frame to a forged stainless frame.  No doubt there will be a price increase.  Trying to find one locally so I can take a look at it.  I've read some of the 1911 forums, but am wondering if anyone here has any experiences good/bad with Dan Wessons. 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2009 at 18:50
The best 1911 handguns made are the Wilson Combat guns. http://www.wilsoncombat.com/
As for the Kimbers the one I would recommend is the SIS model
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=150784319    because it does not have the spring guide just like the Series 70 Colt so that it is very easy to take apart and clean.  The stainless Taurus seems to be a good value if you need to keep the price down.  Sometimes you can get some Custom Shop Colt http://www.impactguns.com/store/098289011688.html  Two of their models stand out the Special Combat Govt  and  Colt Gunsite model http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=150646025

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2009 at 20:46
The Dan Wesson's I have seen are okay, but I would still recommend either the Springfield or the Kimber. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic