OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > The Ed Show
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Book: Going Rogue By Sarah Palin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Professional
Optics Professional
ICK, Ed's BOY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Book: Going Rogue By Sarah Palin
    Posted: December/01/2009 at 10:03

Going Rogue CD: An American Life

Going Rogue CD: An American Life [ABRIDGED] [AUDIOBOOK] (Audio CD)

~ Sarah Palin 

Well, listened to about 2 hours of her book in audio format.  Generally I listen to books for
information on technical discussions..... like economics (Alan Greenspan), financial issues,
quantum mechanics (Stephen Hawking), historical analysis (1776 by McCullough), and other
"informational" works.

I never really listen to biograpy style books, and know why, because they are not my thing.

Not really impressed overall with the book so far.  Of course it starts out with her early life
as a kid in school, meeting Todd, having kids, serving on Wasilla (sp?) council, running for
mayor....etc.... so perhaps it is too boring just yet.

Alan Greenspan's book contained some of this type of information and I almost skipped
it... but alas I didn't in that case.  I think perhaps bigoraphies are not my preferred reading.

I will let you ladies know my overall impression when I finish listening to the whole audiobook.

Edited by Ick - December/01/2009 at 10:06
--
Ick, Ed's boy,www.ick.bz
BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 10:14
I only like reading non-fiction books about war....including my favorite war book....the bible.
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2009 at 13:57
I've thought about it.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Ick View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional
ICK, Ed's BOY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2009 at 09:41

Well I must say, the book started out pretty boring... but it gets more relevant to my interests as it goes along.

I have finished all but the last half of the final CD in the audio book and it is pretty interesting.  Believe me, I was sorely disappointed that she QUIT as governor of Alaska.  However, after listening to her full explanation I do think it was the right decision.  It was the wrong decision FOR HER CAREER, but it is clear it was the RIGHT THING TO DO for Alaska and her fellow citizens.

She may never recover completely from quitting, but her action speaks louder.  Much as seems to fit her character she does what is right, not what is "convenient".

If for no other reason people should read or listen to that section of her book BEFORE they jump to conclusions and criticize her as a "quitter".

This next topic is a little out of character for me, and perhaps a little sappy.... but I now have a much clearer appreciation for what a "mother to be" goes through after reading about her pregnancy with Trig, her newborn son.  She illustrated very well what goes through a Mother's mind about "how easy it would have been to just get an abortion as an older woman and eliminate an inconvenient pregnancy".... and then "how easy it would have been to just get an abortion of a baby with special needs".... but often what is "easy" is simply WRONG.  That alone brought out a newfound respect for an aspect of womanhood that I simply hadn't considered.

Perhaps "considered" is the wrong word.  I think it is something that I didn't "apprecaite" in context properly.

Edited by Ick - December/09/2009 at 09:44
--
Ick, Ed's boy,www.ick.bz
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2009 at 18:11
Well, I'm glad the rest of Conservative America aren't as nit-picky as you........would you like four more years of OBAMA? 

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
JohnnyReynolds View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyReynolds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2009 at 04:05
I buy war book....the bible.   from Amazon re-sellers all the time. I haven't had any more (or less) problems with them than I've had with any other internet vendors.

Recently I came to know that there is a website named AmazingWatcher.Com which is a free website that will “watch” items for you on Amazon and let you know when amazon has them in stock at regular retail price.It got so awesome!Big Smile
Good luck everybody!http://www.amazingwatcher.com
Johnny E. Reynolds
BobC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 04:26
Originally posted by BillyWayne BillyWayne wrote:

I only like reading non-fiction books about war....including my favorite war book....the bible.
You may be interested in a book called "Battles of the Bible" writen by Chaim Herzog and Mordechi Gichon. It gets into the tactics and strategies of Biblical battles. Sounds boring but it's not.
Last I knew it was out of print but you should be able to find it on line.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 05:19
( Obama QUIT a Senate job that he only had for two little years to become the most clumsy, lost-in-the-hallway President we have ever had!! )   Flame   
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 11:26
Captain TelePrompter
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic