OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Decent 3-9X Mildot?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canis Latrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Decent 3-9X Mildot?
    Posted: December/01/2009 at 00:11
I'm looking to pick up a Remington 700 in .308 for deer.  I would like to try a scope with a ballistic reticle, but since I don't believe they make any decent ones specifically for the .308 I figured I would possibly try the Bushnell Elite 3200 with the DOA 600 reticle. Unfortunately I haven't heard anything about this reticle, other than it's over priced and you could get a better scope, with mildot for the same price.  So I looked for this magically elusive 3-9 mildot scope for under $300, and was unable to find it.  Price range is around $200, and I want 3-9x32 or 40.  Any help with this or a review of the 600 DOA reticle from Bushnell would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 07:02
For your stated purpose and that caliber, I'd forget about anything but a simple reticle (e.g. duplex). Any decent 3-9 in the $200-300 range will be fine, although I'd lean towards the higher end. Zero the rifle at 2-3" high @ 100 yards with a 165-grain boat tail and you'll be good to go out to 200 yards, maybe even 300. Beyond that, it is better to invest in quality optics, a rangefinder, and time at the range. In other words, at least 3-4X your proposed budget and even then that will buy you no more than 50-100 additional yards.
Reaction time is a factor...
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 08:40

I'm not a big fan of the 3200's, but based upon your price range and requirements, it should fit your needs.  The advantage to that particular model you discussed is that it has the DOA reticle.  However, be aware... ANY ballistic reticle will have to be "calibrated" for your particular ammo.  Any ballistic reticle with claims for ".308" would have been calibrated for some designated .308 loading.  You are going to have to do  some work yourself to perform out to 600 yards.  Once it is zeroed at 100 or 200 yards, does NOT mean the holdovers are "true" for the round you are shooting.  Every time you change rounds (different lot, weight, powder charge, etc) you need to verify how it performs through actual range time...

the Bushnell warranty is very good and it is a decent scope, pretty good glass for the price, but only multicoated, has Rainguard...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 09:45
spend a few more dollars and get the 3x9x40 4200 bushnell from swfa. great scope for the money...
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 10:29
We got a super deal on the Burris 3-9x32 Ballistic Plex, right now they are only $119.95.

Canis Latrans View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canis Latrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 11:29
I was also hoping to do some target shooting with it, maybe to around 300 yards.  What is the difference between the 3200 and the 4200?  If I'm not getting a fancy reticle, I might as well just get a Nikon Prostaff for half of the price of these other scopes... Why not? The glass is plenty clear and bright for me, and no one seems to have a problem with recoil or shock.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 11:32
We also have the Nikon 3-9x40 Primos with the BDC reticle and a free camo jacket for $199.95.  The scope alone sold for $350. when it had the Monarch name on it, prior to being discontinued and replaced by the new 2.5-10x40 Monarch.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canis Latrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 12:47
Thank you Chris, but the Nikon BDC is widely regarded as the worst ballistic type reticle in that price range from what I've read, and there still seems to be no reason to buy it over a Prostaff.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 12:50
I have a Nikon IRT with BDC on a Remington Etronx 220 Swift and it is DEAD on at 500. However, one does have to do the homework and figure out how the trajectory and reticle interact.  You will have to do that with any BDC scope unless you get one tuned to your ammo.  You won't do that in your price range...

Check this out:

Edited by Kickboxer - December/01/2009 at 12:54
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 13:51
Originally posted by Canis Latrans Canis Latrans wrote:

Thank you Chris, but the Nikon BDC is widely regarded as the worst ballistic type reticle in that price range from what I've read, and there still seems to be no reason to buy it over a Prostaff.

WOW!  That's news to me.  I'd like to hear more in regards to what people are not liking about Nikon's version.

The Primos is optically superior to the bottom of the line ProStaff, hands down....not even disputable.  The Primos at $199.95 is the best scope optically that we have for the money followed by the Elite 4200 3-9x40 at $299.95

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 13:55
I really respect anything and everything that Byron South has to say and here is what he thinks about the Coyote version of the Nikon BDC.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canis Latrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 15:37
You are one of the first people I have heard that actually likes the BDC.  I will definitely read that review.  You say that the optics on the Primos is way better than the Prostaff, but like I said I'm happy with the Prostaff's clarity and brightness, so is there a reason I need to spend more on the Primos?  They both have the BDC reticle if it turns out that I want it.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 15:46
If you were happy driving a Chevette but I could get a Corvette would you?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 15:59
As far as optics go the Nikon is a great scope for a great price. The only problems I know of are in low light with background cover. But, a lot of standard plex type reticles don't do well in this regard. I would definitely consider the Team Primos.
Half the guys I hunt with use Nikon's in 2-79(1) and 3-9(3) colors. My .260 has a 3-9 with the plex. It is the same scope and my reticle isn't a whole lot better in low light than the BDC. My one friend has the BDC in his 3-9 and there wasn't much more shooting time with mine. This is my experience with many Nikon Monarchs of which the Team Primos is one.

Edited by tahqua - December/01/2009 at 16:53
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 16:47
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

For your stated purpose and that caliber, I'd forget about anything but a simple reticle (e.g. duplex). Any decent 3-9 in the $200-300 range will be fine, although I'd lean towards the higher end. Zero the rifle at 2-3" high @ 100 yards with a 165-grain boat tail and you'll be good to go out to 200 yards, maybe even 300. Beyond that, it is better to invest in quality optics, a rangefinder, and time at the range. In other words, at least 3-4X your proposed budget and even then that will buy you no more than 50-100 additional yards.
I agree with this. If you are willing to invest in a new stock, and new trigger, and feel the need to shoot longer range shots, invest in better optics, and a quality rangefinder. The Zeiss Rapid-Z 1000 was designed with the .308 in mind. I've also had no problems with my Nikon Team Primos. Hits with that out to 4-500 yards can come with boring regularity if you do your homework.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canis Latrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 21:32
I'm not looking to spend a lot of money, I am looking to be able to shoot out to around 300 yards, will a BDC scope help me do this or not?  If I'm not looking to shoot in low light conditions, so is there another reason to get the primos over the prostaff?
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 23:23
If you have a problem shooting a target 300 yards with a regular reticle holding over you need some pratice, keep in mind that you only need to hold about a 3" group to kill a deer cleanly.  As for as the Nikon BDC I have never heard anything negetive about that, infact I've seen several magazines rate it as one of the better ones out their. My nikon Buckmaster came with a chart telling you what to expect with certain calibers and  what size bullets loaded to what velocity to use. As for as glass goes, you can buy a prostaff if you want, and it will hold up to .300 win mag recoil, but your eyes will hurt when you shoot it, or mine did anyhow.

Palehorse View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palehorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 07:25
borrow your corvette?  Sure, if I ever had a date Ouch
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canis Latrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 11:05
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

No, not if it costs me more money, this is exactly my point.  If it's so easy to hold over at 200 and 300 yards, why did they include the circles for that range at all?  If it makes it easier to be consistently accurate at that range than it is worth it to me. Again, is there any reason not to get the Nikon Prostaff BDC in 3-9x40? It is clear and bright enough for me, so is there another reason not to get it? Thanks for the help.
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 19:32
Maybe for some it isn't so easy, I've held over and killed deer at 400+ yards with a .300 mag, the first deer I ever shot was 200+ out in Fredricksberg Texas. Anyhow people have been holding over for well over a hundred years now, so I know based on that fact I'm not the only person who has practiced it at a range, and gotten to know their rifle well enough, and done it multiple times with great sucess. You're going to have to learn to shoot that far reguardless, bdc or no bdc. The Nikon prostaff I had on my rifle held up to my 7mm-08 with no problems, .308 should be about the same.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic