OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

? Nikon ED50 or Leupold GR 15-30x50

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ? Nikon ED50 or Leupold GR 15-30x50
    Posted: November/30/2009 at 09:27
Looking at a new scope and was wondering how these 2 compare.  I previously had a
14x45 x 60 Leupold Wind River Seqouia that I did not like.

Are these 50's going to offer enough light for viewing at first light or at dusk?

Or am I better off getting a nice 60mm.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 18:53
Any time you drop down in objective lens size you lose brightness, contrast, and resolution.  There is no getting around this fact.

Any time you increase objective lens size you end up with a larger and heavier scope.  There is no getting around this fact.

The trick is to find the scope or combination of scopes that best serves your intended purposes.

50mm scopes can be surprisingly good.  I know a few people who have completely (or almost completely) retired their 60, 70, and/or 80+mm scopes in favor of these little gems. Of course, most of these people do the vast majority of their glassing in the day and during good weather. 

I have used my 50mm Leupold GR at both dawn and dusk and in all kinds of weather and locations.  It has been a stellar performer.  The Nikon ED50 would be technically better optically, but the differences are very, very minor and it costs A LOT more than I paid for my Leupold and it's all-plastic body construction is nowhere near as rugged as the Leupold.

Personally, I have found that a combination of an 80mm scope for at home, in camp, and/or at or near a vehicle coupled with a 50mm scope for travelling, hiking, and hunting in the backcountry is the best setup for me.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2009 at 21:06
Now I'm thinking of getting a Fieldscope III, 15-45x60.  Quality build here, made in Japan,
instead of China.  For me I use mostly quality Bins.  I think one like this would be for life.
Anyone here can chime in on the Nikon Fieldscopes, non-ED, from what I've learned hard
to tell from the ED, and I am looking for deer, not "bluebirds".
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2009 at 09:41
I can only comment on the ED82.  In short, it is fantastic, on par with my neighbor's Zeiss 85 T FL.  If you wear glasses the eypeice on the Zeiss is more forgiving, but the view is super good.  In fact, you can use the 75x zoom on my Nikon under certain conditions.  It is very ruggedly constructed also.  Good Luck. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic