OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for AR-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlie09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for AR-15
    Posted: November/29/2009 at 12:10

I need a scope for an ar-15 in 6.8 spc that will primarily be used for hunting out to 200 yards. I believe that I want roughly a 3x9x40 or similar.  I am a big leupold fan but I am considering the following.

Burris fullfield 2 tactical
sightron 2 bigsky
zeiss conquest
bushnell elite 4200.

Lowlight performance is a big concern and I don't know if the Burris is as good as the other scopes listed but I kinda liked the tactical olive drab finish. Thanks.

JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2009 at 13:38
Out of what you have listed, Ive owned and used only the Zeiss Conquest 3.5x10x44 and a OLDER Burris Fullfield II and it was not a Tactical. Ive never used any of the other scopes listed, so for me I would have to choose the Zeiss Conquest. They are very clear and bright and you have some very nice reticle options. I have the Rapid Z 600 on my Sako. My AR-15 has a Kahles 3x9x42.....
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2009 at 13:59
zeiss for performance + low light possibly look at trijicon for tactical style performance.
No one
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2009 at 14:33
Have you considered the Super Sniper 3-9x42?

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P41044.aspx
charlie09 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlie09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2009 at 15:01
I am not familiar with ss scopes and it appears to be above my price range, the zeiss seems to get the most credit from what I have seen on this forum and it two is close to being out of my range, I seen a good sale on them awhile back but I think its over.
Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2009 at 15:06
I'd say SS or Trijicon
"I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace."
Thomas Payne, Revolutionist
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2009 at 15:15
What is your price range? 
charlie09 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlie09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2009 at 16:21
I would like to stay under $500.00, give me some feedback on ss as I have never heard of them.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2009 at 16:39
I would do a search for the SS 3-9 here on OT. I have yet to read anything negative about them. 
charlie09 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlie09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2009 at 17:36
Is ss american made or what? military?
Risasi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2009 at 22:29
I have been shopping hard for a couple Grendel builds I'm trying to complete.

I've used the Zeiss, they are pretty nice. I've also owned a couple Nikon Monarchs and tested the Leupold VXIII's. Honestly, any difference I can tell between them is marginal. Mostly related to eye relief, maybe a slight edge for low-light. But that's dependent upon a lot of variables like power/objective lens, etc. 
I also had a Bushnell 4200 on my old 30-378. I sold it a few years back, but IIRC it was a 4-12? It was okay also. But I preferred any of the previous three.
Of the ones I've owned I'm partial to the Monarchs. The other two you mention I've not used.

You might also looking into another brand which is on my radar. The company is Vortex Optics. It appears the Viper scopes are on par with the Luepold VXIII's, and Monarchs. Their Diamondback line seems to be on par with the VXII's and Nikon Buckmasters. On top of that their warranty is the same as Leupold's. Or so they say.

---
If you're only looking to shoot out to 200 yards (I assume deer, coyote sized game?), you might also want to look at some of the 1-4/5/6x, 1.5-5x and 2-7x or 2.5-8x scopes. Like I said I'm shopping for my 18" Grendels. My goal is similar to yours. And the capabilities of both calibers are very similar, especially comparing to one another within 400 yards.
My use is for 0-400 yard white-tail, pig, coyote, and the possibility to take elk at lessor distances. But I also want something decent for longer range varmint hunting/paper punching too.  At the same time too high of a magnification and you won't be fast at closer ranges. For brush I don't like anything much over 2x for those snap shots up close. I'm leaning toward something in the 1.5-6x or 2-7x range. I'm thinking something like a 2-7 will do most any job well. And then I might pick up a fixed 10x or 12x for long range p-dog/paper punching.
spinner08 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinner08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2009 at 22:40
I have a ss 10X on my 300 win mag and I am very happy with my choice.  I have sub 1" groups at 300 yards
charlie09 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlie09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2009 at 18:41

Hi Risasi , It looks like we are in the same boat, I like the vortex strikefire seems to be pretty nice eventhough its made in china. I am also considering a scope with less magnification but they generally come with a smaller objective and I believe that will affect the low light capabilities. Do you believe the smaller objective will be a problem.

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2009 at 19:38
I would take the SS Variable.  It is worth the extra $100 over your price range.  I have always wanted an Aimpoint on my AR, but have considered picking up another SS Variable to put on it.  They are a great scope!
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Risasi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 07:08
Hi Charlie,

You are talking about how much theoretical light can be transmitted to your eye. The calculation to figure this out is to take the objective lens (i.e. 1-4x20, 20mm is the objective), then divide that by the magnification level your have your scope set to. For instance in the above example, having that 1-4x20 set at 3x, you will be receiving an exit pupil size of 6.66mm.

They say that 5mm is about the size the average eye can dilate, and if you have younger eyes about the best you can hope your eyes will dilate to is 6-7mm. Of course like all things in the body, I do believe you can exercise your eye, especially if you're younger, and keep some of it's natural ability before the lens hardens. i.e. Use it or lose it...

Anyway, for low light it is doubtful you would use it much higher than 4x anyway. The higher the magnification the less likely you are to be able "find" your prey in the scope. Especially moving. Unless you are taking real long shots. And to be honest I find at best my practical range to be about 30% in low light of what it is in daylight. I seriously doubt you would have a shot past 130 yards at dusk. Probably closer.

I have an Eotech. It's decent for low light. It's a great 0-50 yard optic in low light/night. But no magnification. That means ID'ing a target can be problematic at longer distances. I also have a fixed 4x44. Under moonlight I can see pretty much everything out to 200 yards. But it's much slower, especially at closer distances. I've also got a couple others. One is a 2.5-8x28 Nikon Monarch. At 2.5x it's just about perfect for night.

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 10:44
I have been hunting with a 6.8 for a few years
on my 16" lightweight setup I use a TR24 1-4 german #4 with the green dot
I have another one coming in, a Wilson Combat 18" and it will have a 3-9x040 accupoint mildot / green dot

the 16" gets used for walking around or if I am driving on the lease while deer hunting or hog hunting
I also hunt hogs at night so, low light performance and an ill ret are priorities
what are you hunting and what style of hunting?

there's a Kahles CL 2-7 with a german # 4 reticle in the for sale section
that would be a GREAT 6.8 scope
charlie09 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlie09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 18:03
Being an ar I do want it to be  low mag and fast on target but I also want good low light as that is when the big Buck is going to make his mistake. I have always heard that you have to have a big objective to draw in light but from what I am hearing is as long as you are in low mag then a smaller objective is just as good. When it gets dark I usually turn my 3.5 x10 vxiii on my 7mag all the way down but if I am understanding correctly as long as I match my exit puple then that is as much light as I can draw, if this is correct then I could go with a 2x7 or 2.5x8 and still be ok.Correct me if I'm wrong.
0311GRUNT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0311GRUNT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 23:17
Originally posted by spinner08 spinner08 wrote:

I have a ss 10X on my 300 win mag and I am very happy with my choice.  I have sub 1" groups at 300 yards

sub moa
You cant hit what you cant see
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic