OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need help with scope moving.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help with scope moving.
    Posted: November/29/2009 at 01:20
I probably sound foolish here, but I am having problems with my rifle scope spining in the rings on my rifle. It's a .300wsm 700 sps varmit,  and I have a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40 scope on it. I am using Burris signature dual dovetail rings and base the scope wieghs in just under 20oz. I switched to this ring and base combo due to the scope sliding all over the place with a weaver style set up, I seem to have eliminated the forward back sliding of the scope. But now after about 100 rounds going through it the scope has spun about 20 degrees to the right, I know the screws on the rings haven't losened because I used red lock tight and a torque wrench to torque them down to 70 in. lbs. Does anyone have any Ideas on any changes I could make, or is the scope just flat out to heavy? Crazy thing is, the scope is rotating and not loosing it's zero at all.
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2009 at 01:43
Which inserts do you have in your signature rings???

We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2009 at 01:54
In all honesty if your scope was sliding back and forth in another set of rings and now turning in Signatures it sounds as though your scope tube may be smaller than spec... A 20oz scope should not be a problem in any rings and especially in the signatures.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2009 at 02:14
I'm sorry, they are just double dove tail, not the ones that use inserts. Acording to my calipers the tube is a strait 1" even all the way down, should it be slightley larger? Reguardless, if it were off speck the rings would go all the way down on both sides and touch instead of not quite touching wouldn't they?
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2009 at 04:38
I have heard of using a thin layer of liquid electricians tape or black silicone adhesive.  IMO the rings should not touch when tight.  You should never have to use loctite on any of your screws, especially the ring screws.  Ring screws should only have to be torqued down to 20 inch pounds and bases to 60 pounds or lighter.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
Al Nyhus View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Nyhus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2009 at 06:34
    Bigdave: Sounds like you need to have more surface contact between the i.d. of the rings and the o.d. of the scope tube.

The best way to get this is to bed the scope to the rings, using convention bedding compounds like AcraGlas Gel, etc.  Don't use JB or any of the other 'hard' or metal filled epoxies for the job. Rough up the bottom ring halves, wipe 'em down with acetone, then apply a release agent to the scope tube and all other ring pieces. Lay the scope in the ring bottoms and lightly snug down the tops.  After the compound dries, clean up all the excess and then repeat the process on the ring tops.

When you're finished, you'll have 100% contact between the tube and rings. A light snugging of the ring screws will be all that's needed to keep the scope in place. Bedded rings eliminate ring marks, pinched scope tubes and allow for a stress free scope....which helps the scopes mechanical performance. Once done, you can plop any scope you like on a setup like this and be assured of maximum contact....another nice feature.

If you don't want to go this way, the Burris insert-type rings have enough flex in the inserts to conform to the tube better and will generally stop the problem.

If you bed the bases first, then the rings, you'll have a bullet proof setup.

Good shootin'. Smile   -Al

"Marsupials scare me".
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2009 at 10:01
 Al Nyhus' suggestion is probably  the best, but I don't think you'd have to go that far if you don't wish to go to quite that much trouble, especially on a varmint rifle. (For a big-game rifle that you need to rely on for a once-in-a-lifetime hunt-go for it by all means!)
 I think you possibly got a bit of oil or grease on the contact surfaces when you first assembled it, or maybe they are just too smooth.
 Personally, I would lap the rings, but I don't think even that is really necessary in your case. Just disassemble everything, scuff the inside ring surfaces with 150 or 180 grit aluminum oxide or silicon carbide abrasive cloth or paper, trying to leave scratch patterns in several directions to prevent sliding and rotating. Clean all mating surfaces thoroughly with acetone or MEK and reassemble and torque to specs. Be sure that you haven't already stripped or stretched any of the screws by torqung them to 70 in.lbs. That is a lot, and might have ruined them or the tapped holes they fit into.
Sandracer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2009 at 14:07
What I found on one rifle/scope combo was the front and rear mount were not on the same plane. It took .040 " shim at the rear base to level the combo out. I use a solid shaft to align the mounts to each other although I have tried the two shafts turned down to a point on each end too! By the way the mounts that were way off were the Burris windage type and when I put on a new Leupold setup they were perfect! The guy that had this setup never could keep his scope from slipping either.
Al Nyhus View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Nyhus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2009 at 14:31
     Excellent example, Sandracer. Thunbs Up     -Al
"Marsupials scare me".
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2009 at 15:41
Thanks for the info guys, the glass bedding is probably the way to go, I am wanting to upgrade the scope anyhow. The 6-18 is more scope than I need and I would like to upgrade the quality of the glass, to something that I will not want to take off. My rifles have become a hobby to me, so I feel that taking the time to do it right is well worth it.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2009 at 17:45
 Yeah, you should probably use alignment bars to check out the trueness of your ring alignment, and if it's way off you might want to shim and lap and glass bed it!

A lot of work, but the results would be rock solid if you do it all properly.

Good luck!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic