OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Daughter's Deer!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daughter's Deer!!!
    Posted: November/28/2009 at 17:24
Why is it always the last day and the last hour when that big buck walks by?  This is another one of those stories.  The last day and last hour of our daddy daughter hunt was upon us and all we had in front of us were doe.   We had an earlier shot a a large 6 point but opted to wait and try our luck at a bigger buck.  Now, we were wishing we had taken the earlier shot.  About that time, Meagan, looked to her left and her eyes became huge.  She whispered, "Daddy, there is a giant over here."  I could not see him and beleiving she had antler fever, I told her to take the shot if she thought he was a good one.  She took the shot from 63 yards and dropped the buck instantly.  We were so excited that we had taken one and were soaking in the moment.  I was still not believing that this was going to be a big deer and I figured it would have that old ground shrinkage.  As I exited our blind, it struck me that this deer had a very large neck and I thought well this good be a good deer... The rest is history and you can see him for yourself.  His antlers are 15 1/2 inches across and you can see he is wider than my daughter...  I love this stuff!!!

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2009 at 17:30
nice buck i bet she was excited.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2009 at 17:51
Nice Deer!
"I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace."
Thomas Payne, Revolutionist
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2009 at 18:29
Excellent
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2009 at 18:29
Plus 3!! Good job!
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2009 at 18:59
 That is the definition of a nice buck!
Congratulatios, Meagan!
Very nice photo, too. That one needs to be framed and hung on the living room wall, next to the shoulder mount of the buck.
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2009 at 19:07
That is a very pretty Buck, and a fine looking daughter. You should be very proud. That picture was really well done. I never seem to remember that cameras exist until I remember knives, and make a mess, so my pics don't go up here. Nice work Meagan!Thunbs Up

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2009 at 20:27
Thanks guys!  I messed up her first deer pic and just kinda threw it together.  I really wanted this one to be nice but to tell you the truth, I forgot the camera also.  After she took the deer, I had her run back to the cabin and get the camera while I watched the deer.  Almost ran out of light but I think it made for a nice sky. 

Meagan just walked in and says she was, and still is, excited.  Shee can't wait for the mount to come back.

swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2009 at 20:40
Very nice deer!!  Congrats to all involved!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2009 at 21:02
As Jackie Bushman would say... "what a buck"...
Great experience.  Thank you for including us...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2009 at 22:25
"Well... That deer's deader n sh*t"
"I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace."
Thomas Payne, Revolutionist
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2009 at 00:18
Nice Buck and a Great Job done by Both of you!!!Smile
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2009 at 10:18
Awesome, Tom.  What caliber/bullet?
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2009 at 10:23
Originally posted by ckk1106 ckk1106 wrote:

Awesome, Tom.  What caliber/bullet?

Thunbs Up

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2009 at 12:20
Nice deer!  Great way to end a hunt!
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2009 at 12:24
Meagan shoots a Remington 700 in .243, it has worked well for her and she loves shooting it.  It is amazing to watch her take a deer.  She is so calm and I am so not calm.  She really aims hard for the vitals and she has taken her deer with a single shot drop.  None of her deer have moved after she hits them.  Daughters are great! Wink

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2009 at 12:31
Funny you mentioning her being so calm. Seems like the girls are always calmer.  Had a woman this year in the elk camp that shot a 320 class 6 point bull and she shot it like she was shooting a piece of paper.  I get so excited and then have to calm my breathing.

Congrats Meagan on a nice deer and being so calm.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2009 at 12:39
WOW! Nice Daughter...I mean deer. Oh well both. You are a very lucky father. Since she shoots so well you may not have to sit on the porch cleaning the shotgun when the suitors come a calling. Forward my congratulations to Megan for me on her great Deer. Her deer beats any that I have ever had a shot at. She is lucky to have a father willing to teach her to hunt and a place to hunt that grows nice bucks.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2009 at 14:40
Originally posted by Trays 7940 Trays 7940 wrote:

Meagan shoots a Remington 700 in .243, it has worked well for her and she loves shooting it.  It is amazing to watch her take a deer.  She is so calm and I am so not calm.  She really aims hard for the vitals and she has taken her deer with a single shot drop.  None of her deer have moved after she hits them.  Daughters are great! Wink
It's funny. My daughter has taken two with her .243, and the first didn't even act as if it had been hit. It ran about 150-175 yards and piled up. Fortunately she fell in an alfalfa field. The was hit in the boiler room, and the whole vital area was turned to mush. The second was hit in the same spot with a 85gr. interbond, and hunched up like it was gut shot, and ran about 100 yards and layed down behind a cedar tree. Didn't know if we were going to find that one. I wish they would all drop where they stood. Congrats again Meagan.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2009 at 15:24
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

Originally posted by Trays 7940 Trays 7940 wrote:

It's funny. My daughter has taken two with her .243, and the first didn't even act as if it had been hit. It ran about 150-175 yards and piled up. Fortunately she fell in an alfalfa field. The was hit in the boiler room, and the whole vital area was turned to mush. The second was hit in the same spot with a 85gr. interbond, and hunched up like it was gut shot, and ran about 100 yards and layed down behind a cedar tree. Didn't know if we were going to find that one. I wish they would all drop where they stood. Congrats again Meagan.
Meagan is shooting a 100 grain HornadyCustom BTSP.  What is yours using?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic