OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold LPS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vrellum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold LPS
    Posted: November/27/2009 at 01:00
HI I'm new to the forum and I've decided to buy a new scope. I was leaning towards trying to find a used Leupold LPS or a Leupold VX3 and I was wondering what your opinions are.

I will put the scope on a 270 Remington model 700 and most shots (at whitetail deer) will be 100 yards or less. Though some might be 200 to 300 yards. I was planning on getting either the 2.5-10 (LPS) or either the 2.5-8 or 3.5-10 for the VX-3.

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2009 at 02:08
You cannot go wrong with any one of those. I would vote against the 2,5-8 simply for those 300yds shot. But all would put meat in the freezer.
vrellum View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vrellum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2009 at 19:40
Does anybody know how the VX-3 compares to the LPS?

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2009 at 21:08
Good question, the Lps was only out a few years and was replaced by the vx7, I would be willing to bet their very simular optically to the new vx3, other than the 30mm tube on the Lps.  This is just a guess, someone else will answer this question with more knowledge.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2009 at 10:11
LPS was a poor marketing attempt by leo to put a cost competive scope in the zeiss diavari class of scopes. A new one should sell at less than 80% of wholesale, and a used one, --well what ever the market will bear. the lps is a 4 erector system with better glass,at least at that time, pop up turrets euro fast focus. and if the price is good would be a good buy. personally I would get the vx simply do to an improved erector adjusting system.
vrellum View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vrellum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2009 at 10:55
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like the two scopes are pretty similar performance-wise.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic