OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

# 4 reticle for low light Deer Hunting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: # 4 reticle for low light Deer Hunting
    Posted: November/26/2009 at 12:29
Who has impressions on this reticle for deer hunting?  Thinking about going with it.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2009 at 12:38
#4 reticle is about the best for low light conditions other than going to a lighted reticle.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2009 at 12:39
Good for low light hunting.Another good option is the Elite firefly reticle.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2009 at 17:42
yep
my favorite
if you don't have an ill ret then a #4 is definitely the best as far as I am concerned
with a good scope and that reticle you can cleanly take deer 30 minutes before and after sunrise/set (legal shooting time in Texas)
I have a Kahles CL3-10x50 on my main deer rifle
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2009 at 18:44
Not only is it highly visible in low light situations I think it is also alot more versatile than many people give it credit for. Because of the large posts your eye seems to center it much more quickly than a finer reticle making quick shots easier and more precise. Since the posts come much closer to the center crosshairs than on a traditional reticle they also provide a good holdover point for longer ranges and drift correction with a little practice and experimentation.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
CDBIDSBEAR View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CDBIDSBEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2009 at 19:11
Originally posted by biggreen747 biggreen747 wrote:

Not only is it highly visible in low light situations I think it is also alot more versatile than many people give it credit for. Because of the large posts your eye seems to center it much more quickly than a finer reticle making quick shots easier and more precise. Since the posts come much closer to the center crosshairs than on a traditional reticle they also provide a good holdover point for longer ranges and drift correction with a little practice and experimentation.

+1  Very well put.  It's certainly the quickest reticle I've used.  Guides your eye to the centre even when you can't see the fine centre cross hairs.
cajunhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2009 at 19:46
Thanks for the input everyone.  So which scope.  I was thinking 1.5-6x42 Kahles but I don't think you can get them.  I like LEU but they don't look like they make them.  I was hoping to get a nice scope somewhere in the $500-600 range with that reticle.  Any suggestions would be great.  The Swaro is over a grand.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2009 at 19:57
Zeiss 1.5-6x42 Victory Diavari 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 5217119904

I would like this but it is $1650.  Anybody know where I can get a nice scope like this with a #4 reticle but not spend this kind of money.  Come on.  The economy is not sooo good.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2009 at 21:28
Does it have to be a variable or would you settle for a 4x or 6x fixed power
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2009 at 21:53
I think I want a variable.  Why got some good fixed option?
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2009 at 22:14
 Why, as a matter of fact, it just so happens we do!

It's one I'd sure consider, anyway.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2009 at 22:16
I am currently thinking about a fixed 6x IOR with a 4a reticle for my 338WM. They also make a fixed 4x as well.. If you can afford to plunk down some cash S&B has fixed scopes with a 4a as well.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2009 at 22:29
Also Look at the Burris Euro Diamond 1.5-6x40 w/4a reticle..
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2009 at 23:22
Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope German #4 Crosshair w/ Amber Dot Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR243
  • Matte
  • German #4 Crosshair w/ Amber Dot
  • 30mm
$764.95 
There is also a green dot and  red amber and green posts which I like better.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - November/26/2009 at 23:23

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2009 at 23:25
Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Red Triangle Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR22R
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle
  • 30mm
$806.95
I really like this one also, very nice glass.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - November/26/2009 at 23:25

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
LeakyWaders View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeakyWaders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2009 at 19:04
I looked at many of the scopes that you are looking at too, for a winchester 7mm08 featherweight.

I went with a used bushnell 4200 elite with a red light on the cross hairs. It was mounted on the rifle today and I'll shoot it later this week hopefully.

It's my stateside southern 'dangerous game gun'...pigs and predators as well as the more conventional game.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2009 at 19:58
Originally posted by cajunhunter cajunhunter wrote:

Thanks for the input everyone.  So which scope.  I was thinking 1.5-6x42 Kahles but I don't think you can get them. 

My brother has this scope with a 4A on a 30.06 and it is excellent. I have the 4A in the 1.1-4x24 Kahles C and it is on a .375 H&H. This is also an excellent low light and easy to acquire combination of reticle and power. Both sometimes appear on the Sample List here.
http://www.samplelist.com/default.aspx?display_num=10&mfg_selection=5&prod_type=-1&hide_sold=false
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2009 at 20:25
Meopta Meostar R-1 is also nice glass with the #4 reticle available.
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2009 at 20:48
Originally posted by cajunhunter cajunhunter wrote:

Zeiss 1.5-6x42 Victory Diavari 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 5217119904

I would like this but it is $1650.  Anybody know where I can get a nice scope like this with a #4 reticle but not spend this kind of money.  Come on.  The economy is not sooo good.
Zeiss makes another with the #4, but the power range is much higher........don't know if you are interested, but it's out there.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2009 at 14:32

Well, I like the Meopta, but the power range is high.  I would like to go with a low power variable like the 1.5-6x42 with a 4 or 4a reticle and not have to break the bank.  Why does LEU not offer that reticle?  Where can I still get a Kahles scope anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic