OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for Remington Model 760

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for Remington Model 760
    Posted: November/24/2009 at 07:27
I lurke mostly in the bino forum but putting together a few guns.  They are older style Rem Model 760 pump rifles.  Not much experience with them but supposed to be OK shooters.  Any input would be appreciated.  One in 30-06 and the other in 243 win.  The 30-06 is a carbine with a shorter barrel like 18.5".  I think the other is 22". 
What would be good scope choices?  I was thinking LEU VX3.  Dealer over here likes them and says they are easy to deal with.
Ring Choices, Thinking Talley One Piece. What about Millet? 

These guns are older and I want to replace rings, bases, scopes.  I was looking at going with the Talley One Piece.  It looks like they have them for that gun in .4 and .5.  What Size would I need for like a 3-9 x 40 LEU VX3.  What other options would you guys think about/

Don't think I will be shooting over 250 yards with either gun.  Most shots should be between 50 and 150 yards.

Thanks
cajunhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 07:29
Sorry, these guns will be mostly for deer hunting thus low light performance is important.  Shots could be from enclosed shooting houses.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 10:48
With the Talley one piece, you would be pretty much restricted to a 1" scope body, which is not a problem for those rifles.  Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36 would be a fine choice for both rifles.  2.5-8x32 Zeiss Conquest would also be outstanding.  The low rings would work for either of those.  If you wanted to go lower cost, but with very good glass for the price, try the Swift Premier 1" tubed scopes.  A number of options.  
Those are some fine deer rifles, especially for the ranges you are thinking of shooting.  
Good hunting...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 12:04
I was going to go up in the objective to increase low light performance 3-9 x 40.  would that still fit with the low rings?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 12:33
For 40mm-50mm, I believe medium height would be appropriate.  Nothing wrong with that, though.  You might get by with the low at 40mm.  I've not tried that combo in some time...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 12:38
Am I looking at that correct is the difference only .1"
940742 1" Model 740 - 742 - 760 0.500 BA $42.95
930742 1" Model 740 - 742 - 760 0.400 BA $42.95

seems like very little difference.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 21:28
Low rings should handle a 40 mm objective.  
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2009 at 06:21
The Kwik Sites are a very popular mount for the Remington pumps and autos.A 2-7x32 Leupold VX2 or Sightron S2 is a nice scope that I use in the north east for deer hunting.
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2009 at 12:47
I have a 760 pump in 308 Win.  Mine is scoped out with a Sightron SII 1.5-6x42.  Prior to that, I had a Bushnell 3200 2-7x32.  Both did well around dusk.  I was using Med rings.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2009 at 10:16
The more I think about it, I would like to make this a nice low light performing gun ideal for treestand hunting.  This is already a small rifle being a carbine model.  I am planning on cutting the stock down some to fit me better.  Maybe a nice 1.5-6 x42 would fit the bill.  I will use this gun at max distance of 250 yards on my property.  I have a Tikka 300 wsm with a Kahles ballistic reticle for long range big game hunting.  Can I still get a Kahles?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic