OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Winged Eye Cups for Pentax or ZenRay's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrewGilchrist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winged Eye Cups for Pentax or ZenRay's
    Posted: November/23/2009 at 22:38
I'm looking for a mid-price binocular for my wife and daughter to enjoy watching wildlife from tree stands and ground blinds. Looking for decent quality in the $200 - $300 range. Considering Pentax 10X36DCF, the new Zen Ray's, or Leupold brands.

I've had a pair of Swarovski 8X30 SLC's for nearly 20 years, and they have been outstanding in every area. Optics, ergonomics, etc.... are superb. I can't hunt without these binoculars, and one of my favorite features are the winged eye cups.

Do any of the other manufacturers (besides Steiner) offer winged eye cups with mid-price optics?
Drew
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 10:38
Originally posted by DrewGilchrist DrewGilchrist wrote:

Do any of the other manufacturers (besides Steiner) offer winged eye cups with mid-price optics?

There are some after-market brands:

http://www.telescope.com/control/search?SEARCH_STRING=rubber%20eyeguards%3A

http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/displayproduct.cfm?productID=2064 Be sure and click on Technical Images
DrewGilchrist View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrewGilchrist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 10:56
Thanks. I might have to give them a try if we don't find a brand that offers them as standard equip. I'm surprised more companies don't use them. Sure helps "fit" the binoculars to the face better.
Drew
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 14:17
You can make a winged eye cup of sorts with a half circle piece of bicycle inner tube and a band cut from an inner tube of the proper size.  Use the band to hold the half circle in place.  You can cut and trim until you get the best shape for you.  It looks a bit like "bubba's been at the binoculars", but it works.  One downside is that the ocular cover (rain guard) may not fit over the inner tube.

I don't know of anybody who offers an aftermarket, slip over the eyecup winged extension, or an over sized eye guard.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 15:42
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 16:39
BW

Are those slip over the regular eye cup or are they a screw on or off seperate eye cup?
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 16:57
Steve,

I have not done any in-depth research, I was merely searching for options.
A shroud is generally something that slips over-the-top of.

Stan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic