OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Narrowed choices down, help one more time?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntingaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Narrowed choices down, help one more time?
    Posted: November/23/2009 at 18:27
Well I ruled out a few scopes and have it down to the following and would appreciate any help.  I want to buy tomorrow, period.

The one wrench thrown into the equation is that now I bought a Tikka T3 in .308 and it came with the factory 1" rings and what look to be Warne Maxima 30mm rings.  They look identical to my warne 1" rings just bigger.  I'd really like to use the better rings.

Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 - This is my favorite so far in the sub $500 category

Nikon Monarch 3-12x42 - Most feature packed bang for the buck scope around $400

Bushnell 4200 2.5-10x50 w/ illuminated dot #4 reticle - fantastic clarity, but reticle is super thick even on the thin part of the reticle.  The thin part of the reticle looks thicker than the thick part of a Leupold Duplex.  Other than that it has everything you could want in a low light hunting scope.

Is there better choice than one  of these that I haven't thought of.  I would really like a 30mm conquest which obviously is not available.  I'm sick of analysis paralysis on this and want to buy a scope.  I would really appreciate you guys input.  I want to sight in my Tikka and take it hunting on Friday a.m.  I would prefer to spend $500 or less, but suppose I could spend a little more if the performance was that much better.

Thanks for any help.

Tom

Edited by huntingaddict - November/23/2009 at 19:22
huntingaddict View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntingaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 18:28
Forgot to mention that the 4200 I mentioned is a 30mm tube.

Tom
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 18:47
Read Rule #3.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntingaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 19:23
Sorry, forgot.  I edited to remove.

Tom
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 21:13
SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope Mil-Dot SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95 
Add SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope to Cart
This is one you would never regret buying.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 00:15
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 06:14
if you hunt in the rain the 4200 is the only answer i see up there. otherwise, the zeiss is a great scope.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
dls56 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dls56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 17:44
Zeiss 110% and here is why: Just last night I was deer hunting out of a pop-up blind it was raining and getting dark when they came into the edge of the field, I ranged them at 210. I was restricted to a doe on this tag and picked out the biggest one and anchored her with a neck shot (DRT). The Zeiss 3X9X40 was able to gather enough light to be used at full power.
Best wishes and good luck with whatever you decide upon.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntingaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2009 at 19:04

You guys were absolutely correct.  I bought a Zeiss 3-9x40 and sighted it in today.  I checked it out earlier in the week at last light against a vx-iii.  It was WAY better.  I could have made the shot anywhere along the treeline and with the vx-iii I kept losing the reticle.  Anyway.  I bought it this afternoon and mounted it and headed to the range.  That will not be my last tikka or zeiss.  Groups are fantastic and the clicks did exactly what they were supposed to do.  Everytime I moved them it did exactly the riht amout of movement.  My second to last group were all touching 1.5 right 1.5 up.  I wanted the 1.5 up so I dialed 6 clicks left and the next group perfect 1.5 up dead center.  I could not be more thrilled.  Thanks for all the help.  I know I asked several times about this, but in the end the advise was perfect and so is the scope. 

Tom

Edited by huntingaddict - November/25/2009 at 19:08
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2009 at 22:25
Zeiss is nice!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic