OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SII Big Sky vs Elite 4200 vs Conquest

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brencat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SII Big Sky vs Elite 4200 vs Conquest
    Posted: November/23/2009 at 09:45
Hi gang. I just gave my 1st-gen Leupy VXII to my son so need a new scope to mount on a 30-06 Sako Finnbear. Really need to keep this under $400 if possible.

Was looking at either the 3-9x42 SII Big Sky, 3-9x40 Elite 4200, or the Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8x32.  Prices are fairly similar for Sightron ~ $330 (after rebate), and Zeiss ~ $360, while the Bushnell is a good bit lower at $260ish.

I don't hunt in the rain typically and important things to me are non-critical eye relief and quality of glass. I know VXII doesn't get a good rap these days but mine is 1st-gen and had very good glass...(leftover VariX-III glass during the changeover?), but perhaps the best thing about that scope was the huge non-critical eye relief.  Had a Nikon Monarch years ago too and hated it...very bright but seemed unnatural and clarity was lacking. I've had Conquest before in a higher power and I know they are terrific. But the Big Sky caught my eye because of the rebate.

Thoughts appreciated, thx.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 10:05
I would go with the Bushnell.  That is a great price for a great scope.  They are all close optically with the best probably going to the Zeiss by just a bit.  But for a $100 difference the 4200 would be my choice.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
brencat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brencat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 10:36
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I would go with the Bushnell.  That is a great price for a great scope.  They are all close optically with the best probably going to the Zeiss by just a bit.  But for a $100 difference the 4200 would be my choice.
Don't want to bias the discussion early on, but a friend told me recently that if I was used to the eye relief on a Leupy, that he would not recommend the Bushnell. This is an important consideration as I've mentioned...what do you think?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 10:40
I used my 3-9x 4200 on a 45-70 for hunting elk with heavy loads and did not have issues.

But that can greatly very for people depending on shooting positions and how they mount the rifle to the shoulder.  Do you bring your rifle up inline with your eye keeping your head and neck upright?  Or do you tilt your neck and bring your eye to the rifle.  If you do that later you may want more eye relief.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
brencat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brencat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 11:07

I used my 3-9x 4200 on a 45-70 for hunting elk with heavy loads and did not have issues.

But that can greatly very for people depending on shooting positions and how they mount the rifle to the shoulder.  Do you bring your rifle up inline with your eye keeping your head and neck upright?  Or do you tilt your neck and bring your eye to the rifle.  If you do that later you may want more eye relief.  

Tilt my neck...on pretty much everything, even trapshooting.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 16:05
Nothing wrong with the new Leupy vx-3, its as good as any of the above listed scopes.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
brencat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brencat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 07:13
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Nothing wrong with the new Leupy vx-3, its as good as any of the above listed scopes.

Thanks. Yes, I've heard good things about the new VX-3 too but didn't include it in the OP because it is over my $400 budget. I'd also say it appears a tad overpriced considering I can buy the Zeiss for $70 less.
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 07:53
Go with the Zeiss, it has a much larger FOV (39.9')  than the other 2 and a constant eye relief of 4".   Also probably the best glass.  I personally think that a large FOV is the most important feature when choosing scopes.  You keep your scope on it's lowest power when stand sitting or stalking and on a running shot the FOV is critical.

The Sightron has the smallest FOV at 31.9' and the Bushnell has a low eye relief at 3.3".

The Zeiss has it all.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 19:04
The only problem with the Zeiss in question is that it is a 32mm objective, which can hinder you a little in low light.

It comes down to what is more important to you.  It sounds like long and flexible eye relief is important.  That leaves to deciding between Conquest and S2 Big Sky. 

Between those two, if low light performance is important, then Sightron is a better way to go simply because of the larger objective lens.  Otherwise, Conquest is an excellent choice.

ILya

Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2009 at 06:13

All three are great scopes but would pick the S2 Big Sky for its low light capabilities.The Sightron has a climate control coating like the Bushnell Elite Rainguard.I used it yesterday in a light drizzle and was able to shoot a doe in low lighting conditions.The $50 dollar rebate is a plus.   

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2009 at 06:23
Originally posted by brencat brencat wrote:

Don't want to bias the discussion early on, but a friend told me recently that if I was used to the eye relief on a Leupy, that he would not recommend the Bushnell. This is an important consideration as I've mentioned...what do you think?

i have a 4200 elite on my .375 H&H, and its been there for almost a year now and ive shot it probably 100 times now including 7 shots in the field and i have yet to be whacked by that scope. as far as im concerned rainguard trumps zeiss's optics.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
brencat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brencat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2009 at 09:06
Thanks for all the responses guys. Going to give this some more thought but leaning toward the Zeiss at the moment...the devil I know + Zeiss have good resale value too.

Have a great Thanksgiving all.
brencat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brencat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2009 at 23:15
Wanted to post back after a couple weeks to mention I got an incredible price on a 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest so I went with that and just received it a couple days ago.

Having had a 6.5-20x50 Conquest in the past, I knew the glass would be great and it is...totally crushes the Leupy VX-II I was using previously. But...

one thing I can tell already that's bugging me is that eye positioning is pretty sensitive with this Zeiss. Unless my eye and head are perfectly positioned every time, I get that tunnel vision effect (if I'm too close or too far away) or the sides of the view start to go black (if I'm off side to side).

It's actually kind of annoying to be honest, as I could look thru my Leupy at 7 inches away and even off angle and still see things clearly without the effects I'm describing.

For anyone here who use or have looked thru both a 3-9x40 Conquest and 3-9x42 Sightron Big Sky, can you please comment on the eye position sensitivity between both?  I'm tempted to order the Sightron to see for myself, but need feedback as to whether or not it's worth doing.

Thanks for all the help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic