OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Marlin 30/30 and Nikon Team Primos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marlin 30/30 and Nikon Team Primos
    Posted: November/22/2009 at 20:56
I have a Marlin 30/30 with a Bushnell Trophy 3-9X40. I want to upgrade the scope on it eventually and would like to get some ideas. I DO plan on using the new Hornady Lever Revolution ammo when I re-scope. I was thinking of the Nikon Team Primos as a very good scope for not much $$$. Would ya'll agree? Do ALL team Primos have the BDC reticle? Do you think this may actually help with that Hornady ammo? Anyone that has used the ammo or scope please advise---Bboy623
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 09:09
Nice scope, no doubt.  Just remember it is a Marlin 30/30 or the whole silk purse and sow's ear thing; no matter what you feed it.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 16:07
I'm not sure how the BDC is going to work with the 30-30?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Terry Lamb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Lamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 17:45
Just a little aside from the optics portion of the discussion...I switched to the 30-30 LeverEvolution Hornady factory loads in my grandson's Marlin 336 and the difference was phenomenal. It is a true 200-300 yard performer now, and the bullet performed fabulously on his 225 yd deer last year. Total expansion and delivery of energy.
The only unusual observation is that the Hornady proprietary propellent, whatever it is, leaves a lot of dirty residue which you will notice at cleaning time. (John Barsness wouldn't notice it much!)Big Smile
Terry Lamb
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 00:03
Have nothing but good experience with Hornady lever rounds in my 336SS and Win 94 ..on the optics question ..I 'd go with a lower power unit -perhaps 1.5-5 or 2-7 range ..9X on top end is a bit much for a  30/30
Steveg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steveg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 19:13
I just went through the same questions on my Marlin 336.  After a lot of discussion on the forum and with Leupold I chose the Leupold VX-3 1.5-5x scope.

I wanted to keep the scope small and light as possible.  I had considered Leupold's ultralight FX-2 2.5x scope but decided on the better optics on the VX-3 and thought the 5 power would be useful. 

Where I hunt bucks have to have a 15 inch spread to shoot.  I almost shot a spike the other day with my old Redfield 2 3/4 power scope!

Good luck.

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic