OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

new member, need help pickig a scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dukesbb37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new member, need help pickig a scope
    Posted: November/22/2009 at 17:09
hey guys, new to the forum but not new to forums in general im a member of quite a few so ill try to avoid newb-ness. I am on the brink of buying a Tikka T3, .308. Ive heard mixed reviews on the factory rings that come with the gun, but the general consensus seems to be that they are less than par with the quality of the gun. The gun is going to be used 95% for shooting deer, and an occasional long-range plinking or target-showoff

First of all ive read i should ditch the factory rings, anyone had good luck with them?

Second heres the criteria for what im trying to get

#1 priority is that its a quality scope!

#2Has to have a silver finish... stainless barrel, gotta have a silver scope.

#3 im tryin to find a design that has a gradual increase as the scope gets bigger, not the typical "dumbbell" look.

#4 an attachable sunshade would be nice.

Lastly, im trying not to spend more than about 350 if thats possible, if i have to go to 400 i will but 350 is all i really want to spend right now.

sorry to be picky about the look of the scope, you can call me a diva if you'd like but i like my guns to look nice and shoot even better.

heres a pic of the design type i like so you can see what i mean about not looking like a dumbbell

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2009 at 17:36
You may not like what I suggest but I will try to give the reasons why I would go with these and to begin with I will say that there are several colors of silver yea I know who would have though some are more toward cool white some more of a warmer color and none ever seem to match so I just put a black scope on. If matching bothers you I say send the rifle to Walter Birdsong and have them cover that stainless with their black  T finish.
Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope Rapid Z 600 Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope
Stock # - 5214649971
  • Silver
  • Rapid Z 600
  • 1"
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
$624.95 
Add Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope to Cart 
I know that is out of the price range but you should know what you are giving up when you select others. This has a reticle that can be used for known hold over at the highest power and it has awesome glass.
Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope Multi-X Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
Stock # - 423944M
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
$299.95 
Add Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope to Cart 
I know wrong color but dam nice glass and the price is right but I really like its big brother:
Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope Multi-X Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
Stock # - 424164SF
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
  • Side Focus
$499.95 
Add Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope to Cart 
Also wrong color but giving up one power on the low end to gain 7x on the high end - works.
Leupold 2.5-8x32 VX-3 Handgun Scope Duplex Leupold 2.5-8x32 VX-3 Handgun Scope
Stock # - LEU66620
  • Silver
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$549.95 
Add Leupold 2.5-8x32 VX-3 Handgun Scope to Cart 
Leupold Custom shop can do things like put different finishes on scopes that dont normally have them but there is a price to be paid for the name.
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Long Range Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$409.95 
Add Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope to Cart 
Of the Leupolds I particularly like this scope it is bright and has a reticle useable for hold ov

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
dukesbb37 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dukesbb37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 00:31
has anyone either used the nikon in the post above this one or this leupold???

http://cgi.ebay.com/Leupold-VXII-3-9x40-rifle-scope-56850-silver-VX-II-NEW_W0QQitemZ400085616842QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5d26f608ca
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 02:56
This is probaby the closest to your requirements that I can think of:

Another viable choice is

ILya

Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 09:05
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

This is probaby the closest to your requirements that I can think of:

Another viable choice is

ILya

That Sightron Big Sky 3-9X42 also has a $50 factory rebate right now.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
dukesbb37 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dukesbb37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 13:31
hey sorry to repeat myself but has anyone used that leupold from ebay that i posted earlier?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Leupold-VXII-3-9x40-rifle-scope-56850-silver-VX-II-NEW_W0QQitemZ400085616842QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5d26f608ca

thanks in advance. Still learning here... sorry for asking so many questions.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 13:57
That is an OK scope, except for being overpriced.  You can get Sightron S2 Big Sky or Weaver Grand Slam for that money and both are in a different league than Leupold VX-II.

ILya
dukesbb37 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dukesbb37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 15:14
ok thanks. Im leaning towards the sightron right now, but the nikon and leupold are still in the mix (my friend is a big leupold fan).

any other suggestions are welcome
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2009 at 07:17
I have the S2 & S2 Big Sky in the silver finish and have to say it looks great on my stainless rifles.The Big Sky has the $50 dollar rebate and is an outstanding scope.I owned mostly Leupold scopes before I discovered other scopes like the Sightron S2 and have to admit that they were better in price and performance. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic