OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

BUSHNELL 6500 VS SIGHTRON SII VS NIKON

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BUSHNELL 6500 VS SIGHTRON SII VS NIKON
    Posted: November/21/2009 at 17:21
No one
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2009 at 17:27
Why not consider the Sightron S3 while your at it? Several really good reviews here and other forums. Same money as the 6500.  

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2009 at 18:35
If you are talking about shooting long distance, you need a lot of adjustment range.  That eliminates the Monarch right there (only 30MOA adjustment range).

As far as the other choices go, a lot comes down to how much you are willing to spend and how much adjustment range you need (i.e. how far you plan to shoot).

With Elite 6500, 4.5-30x scopes have about 50MOA total adjustment.  2.5-16x42 scope has about 70+MOA of adjustment, and I generally prefer this model.

With Sightron, in order to compete with Elite 4200 and 6500 scopes in terms of both price and performance, you should be looking at S2 Big Sky and S3 scopes.  Regular S2 is pretty decent (similar to previous generation Monarch in performance), and good for the money, but competes in a slightly different market segment.

S2 Big Sky 6.5-20x50 and 6-24x42 scopes have 60MOA of adjustment.
S3 6-24x50 has 100MOA of adjustment.

A few other considerations:  if you plan to use high magnification, you should really be looking at scopes with fairly large objective lenses.  50mm provides a visible edge over 42mm once magnifications get a little higher.

All that set aside, I would suggest you first figure out how much you want to spend.   Assuming you want top end magnification of 20x or more, here are my suggestion in different price ranges:

~$500: Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 with MilDot (30mm tube)
~$600: Sightron S2 Big Sky 6.5-20x50 with MilDot (1" tube)
~$750: Sightron S3 6-24x50 with MilDot (30mm tube) or Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50 with MilDot (30mm tube) if you are willing to put up with lower magnification.

Honorable mention: Hawke Frontier SF 4-16x42 scope is a very well laid out and reasonably compact scope with ~80MOA of adjustment range.  Hawke Frontier SF 6-24x50 has ~50MOA adjustment range.

I reviewed the 4-16x42 version a while back and thought it was a very nice scope.  If you decide to try the Hawke, ceylonc is selling a couple of his scopes in the for sale section at very attractive prices (~$400).

ILya
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2009 at 18:36
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Why not consider the Sightron S3 while your at it? Several really good reviews here and other forums. Same money as the 6500.  

Mark, did you just recommend a Sightron?  are you feeling well?

ILya
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2009 at 05:14
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Mark, did you just recommend a Sightron?  are you feeling well?

ILya

LOL!
Mark is felling the effects of the "Dark Lords" influence.  Run Mark Run!!!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2009 at 06:32
Whoa!!! I had almost forgotten that Sightron was part of the unholy trinity of optics!!!

Dammit Koshkin, STOP USING YOUR SITH MIND TRICKS ON ME!!! 
Furious
1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2009 at 19:25
I have a 6500 2-16x40 DOA on a 6.8SPC AR and really like it, seems to be a very high quality scope.
Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2009 at 07:04
Sightron has a newer design S3 that came out during the introduction of the Big Sky line.The S2 line is no slouch but not in the same league as the S2 Big Sky.I like the 6500 but think the S3 is a better made scope.To my eyes the S3 was better, this happens to be a very popular scope at are gun club for long range and low light shooting.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic