OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best choices under $300

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best choices under $300
    Posted: November/21/2009 at 13:21
I'm looking for a good pair of small to medium sized binoculars for general hunting use such as searching clearcuts, right-of-ways, brush country and thin timber with underbrush. I care most about clarity, durability, and low light performance.

Recommendations?
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2009 at 13:47
pentax 8x42 dcf wp $359 i have used a pair for years if you saw the scratches and scuffs on them you would know they are dependable at one time they were clearer at the edge of darkness then all of my riflescopes at 10x. during the day about the same haven't tested against my new vx3. sorry its a little over $300 .
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2009 at 15:11
I'd be inclined to try the bushnell legend ultra hd.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2009 at 15:43
I think that the $300 price point is more or less in between the major price levels.  By that I mean that IMO you don't really get a big jump in performance when you go from around $200 to $300, and there are some pretty good binoculars under $200.  Actually, you could look at the Leupold Yosemities and stay around $100, and still do quite well.

Take a look at the 8x36 Pentax DCF's.  I think they provide a lot of performance for the dollar.  There's also the Nikon Monarch's, but IMO they aren't as good in both optical and build quality as the Pentaxs, but are nonetheless much more expensive.

I haven't looked through the Bushy Legend Ultra HD's, but they certainly seem worthy of investigation.  But for the most part, if you can't go over $300, then just stay under $200.....

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2009 at 16:03
Alot of Nikon Monarchs to choose from at the Samplelist.com.  If you can come up with an additional $100.00 you can get into a ZenRays which by all accounts is fantastic for the money,

Edited by lucytuma - November/21/2009 at 18:12
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
spf2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2009 at 10:15
the zen-ray summit will be a good glass for the money and save the rest for something else

xmeecosmic View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xmeecosmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 18:15
At around $200 the Zen Ray Summit or the Atlas Sky King.
At around $300, the Swift Audobon 8.5x44 820 Porro (if you do not wear glasses as some have issue with their eye relief).
Slightly more than $300 the Zen ED (original).
Either the Zen ED or the Swift Audobon would give you the best value for the price.
Have also heard that the Atlas Intrepid ED at around $350 is comparable to the ZEN ED.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic