OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Steiner Peregrines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steiner Peregrines
    Posted: August/04/2005 at 07:47

Does anyone here have any experience with the Steiner Peregrines? You don't hear much about Steiner here, but I've been lurking on some of the birding forums & the Peregrines seem to get good reviews & alot of praise. I had even read a review that stated they outperformed the Leica BN's in a side by side comparison (believe it or not).

If you do have any experience with the Peregrines (or opinions) please let me know. I'd like to know how they would compare to Kahles bins, Swaro SLC's & last but definately not least the Leica BN's or Ultravids. (Yeah, I know the Swaro's & Leica's are better but, how would the Steiners' compare? Especially with the Kahles.)

Thanks.....

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2005 at 10:29

There is a God, Someone finally  realized that Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss are not the only one's that know how to built high quailty Bino's!!! And bird's, by the way folks are some of the most critical users out there. If your a birder, get the 8x42 Peregrines and if you hunt get a pair of 8x42 Predator's. Good luck with either chioce. You will love either one depending on your intended purpose.

Edited by Roy Finn
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2005 at 10:37

Deleted

Edited by Roy Finn
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2005 at 11:13

Deleted.

Edited by Roy Finn
gremlin View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2005 at 21:11
This from www.binoculars.org ...

Steiner 8x42 Peregrine *

Overall impression: * One of Laura's Picks. Very good . I particularly like how rugged and weather proof they are. If I didn't wear glasses, I'd really like the angled eyecups. And I love how fast and easy it is to focus from near to far.

• Weight 24 oz.
  • Close focus Superb--to 5.9 feet
  • Number of turns of focus wheel from near to far* 4 (superb)
  • Depth of field Very good
  • Field of view 367 feet at 1000 yards --good
  • Brightness for owling Good
  • Clarity Excellent
  • Size in hands** Excellent
  • Overall feel Excellent
  • Eye relief 17
  • Eyecups Angled soft rubber. These are wonderful if you don't wear glasses. If you do, there is no good way of adjusting them if your eyeglasses are close-fitting like mine. I ended up having to hold these slightly out from my glasses.
  • Weather resistance Superb
  • Miscellaneous These have built-in objective lens covers that drop down when in use--I think they're a little annoying, but some people would love that feature. I don't like how tight-fitting the optical lens cover is--it wouldn't be easy to put back in place quickly with one hand when birding in the rain. They come with an excellent case that would protect them well in a suitcase or backpack when surrounded by clothing. They come with a padded neck strap. They're a muted green that would be wonderfully unobtrusive in the field. In Winter, 2005, they were ranked #11 in the "Top Affordable" category by the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.

* I make this measurement standing in the same spot outside the door of Binoculars.com. I count the turns my fingers make (roughly 1/4 rotation per turn) as I go from looking at the closest possible image to the Peregrine Falcon nest box 3 blocks away. Longer or shorter fingers will get different results, but this measurement can serve as an index for comparing this feature on different binocular models.

**I have medium hands

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic