OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hornady revamps hi-energy concept

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hornady revamps hi-energy concept
    Posted: November/20/2009 at 10:23
I received an email from Hornady announcing their new Superformance line of ammo .. Similar to the higher energy lines previously touted , but now safe in semi-auto's..

Edited by martin3175 - November/20/2009 at 10:27
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2009 at 18:30
I wonder why Hornady has stayed clear of the WSM calibers, I realize that they have the RCM, but it seams that they're missing out on alot of sales.  Hell, even Remington is loading the WSM.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2009 at 18:56
possibly a marketing agreeement with Ruger
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2009 at 19:07
YA, but for a while even Ruger carried the WSM calibers.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2009 at 21:56
And the .300 Rcm doesn't really run away from the .300 WSM either. Let alone a full blown .300 win mag. After checking some of their claims, it looks a lot like RL17 is their magic powder.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2009 at 00:45
Does anyone know how the Hornady GMX  compares to the Barnes TTSX or Nosler Accubond?. Ive not ever used any Hornady loads yet, although Ive got a bunch of 45 ACP waiting in there for me, plus some free .284 139gr SP coming in from Hornady. The GMX looks like it might be a pretty stout bullet for bigger game, the BC is pretty high too!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2009 at 18:18
"The standard projectile on which all Hornady Bullets were compared was the G1 Model, based on work begun in France and refined at the U. S. Army Ballistic Research Laboratories, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland. Ballistic coefficients for all Hornady Bullets were determined by computer calculations using data from test firing research performed in our 200 yard underground test range." Hornady info...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2009 at 19:47
I wouldn't mind trying the GMX Bullet, but don't want to pay the price.  Plus I don't think they make a 190 gr for my 300 WM and a 140 gr for my 270.  Speaking of which, I need go shoot my new 140 gr handloads with the RL-17.  See what kind of numbers I can get out of it.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2009 at 00:04
I'd be interested to see what you think about RL-17. I've been wondering about trying it to get a little more velocity out of my .308 loads, esp. in my new 24" barrel rifle.
Reaction time is a factor...
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2009 at 08:08
Ive noticed that on a 7mm-08 load the Hornady comes in around 250 fps faster, and the energy is about 250lbs. more at 500 yards then the Federal Barnes TSX loads. Can someone please tell me is that a signifigant difference when it comes to knocking down gig game??
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2009 at 08:39
do plan to shoot animals at those distances??in the 708 i guesss it wouldnt hurt to have the extra punch. in my world that is a significant difference, to others it may not be.

Edited by pyro6999 - December/03/2009 at 08:46
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2009 at 08:43
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

I wonder why Hornady has stayed clear of the WSM calibers, I realize that they have the RCM, but it seams that they're missing out on alot of sales.  Hell, even Remington is loading the WSM.

remington realized that they really screwed up is why. if remington would have been smart they would have let win/browning get there fill of sales and then once they let the rights "go" they would have been money ahead to chamber their own rifles in wsm calibers as well. but no they figured they had the cats meow and came up with the rsaum's. remingtons track record with some new products really sucks, so they hit home runs with. but the some of the important ones they really screwed up on this is one of them.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2009 at 09:07
Hunter , I would like to get all I can out of the 7mm-08. I killed a Coyote the other day at 400 yards with it. I would have to say that 400 yards is MAX. for shooting Big Game. Although if I can find a place to do it around here, I would like to practice shots out to 600.I want to load just one good round for it and Im thinking the Accubond and Nosler Ballistic tips, both at 140 gr. should hit at exactly the same place on paper. The ballistic tips are cheaper for target shooting, but the accubonds would come in for shooting game. This way you never have to touch your POI scope adjustments....

But maybe the new Hornady bullets would be even better than accubonds?

Edited by JF4545 - December/03/2009 at 09:11
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2009 at 09:17
they should should be almost deadringers i would think.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2009 at 10:12
Cool!Thunbs Up
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2009 at 22:19
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

I'd be interested to see what you think about RL-17. I've been wondering about trying it to get a little more velocity out of my .308 loads, esp. in my new 24" barrel rifle.

I have heard good things about it.  Have everything loaded, just need to get out and shoot.  The girlfriend is taking a lot of time, and since I am working in -20 here in Bozeman this week, I am staying inside when I can.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic