OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

remington 223 which one

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: remington 223 which one
    Posted: November/19/2009 at 23:19
i am looking to buy a remington rifle in 223. pss sps ltr vtr varmit 5r bdl and others does anyone have a preference  . would rather not spend the thousand on the 5r since the last one got run over by the truck...... 12 or 9 rifling does it matter.
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2009 at 01:53
Originally posted by cowski cowski wrote:

would rather not spend the thousand on the 5r since the last one got run over by the truck...... 12 or 9 rifling does it matter.

Stare

I think the 9 twist barrel will be more likely to rupture the tire faster than a 12 twist barrel when run over by the truck, but YMMV.  Wink

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2009 at 07:30
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by cowski cowski wrote:

would rather not spend the thousand on the 5r since the last one got run over by the truck...... 12 or 9 rifling does it matter.

Stare 

I think the 9 twist barrel will be more likely to rupture the tire faster than a 12 twist barrel when run over by the truck, but YMMV.  Wink

That was funny Mark!
(Not real nice, -but funny!)

Seriously, Cowski- You should choose the twist rate by deciding first which bullets you are likely to be shooting.
 If you like fast, explosive varmint "grenades" of 55 grains or less, choose the 1-12 twist. It may be a little more accurate with those bullets than the 1-9 might be.
 If you are shooting 69 grain Sierras or 75 grain Hornadys at long ranges, you'll need the faster 1-9 twist to stabilize them well.

(When in doubt-choose the faster 1-9 twist. It will do okay with anything, most likely.)
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2009 at 16:39
the way i scored it was ford gumbo mudder 2 -remington leupold 00                                                 will the 9 twist shoot 77 grain siera 
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2009 at 18:41
I thought the 77gr MK's were used with a 1 in 7 twist barrel, ideally?
That said, I'd go with a 1 in 9, if thats the only options.   

Edited by cheaptrick - November/20/2009 at 18:42
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2009 at 18:53
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I thought the 77gr MK's were used with a 1 in 7 twist barrel, ideally?
That said, I'd go with a 1 in 9, if thats the only options.   

I agree.
 My 1-9 shoots 75 Hornady HPBT very well, but not the 75 Hornady A-Max.
 I haven't shot the 77 Sierra, but I have my doubts... 1-9 is right on the edge for them and I believe a 1-7 or1-8 is probably a much better bet for the 77 and 80 Sierra MatchKings.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2009 at 19:48

Is it even an option to look at something other than Remington?

Steyr Elite or maybe even an FN.
No one
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2009 at 21:15
What is the twist rate for the .223 5R barrel?
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2009 at 21:58
don't really know the twist on the 5r. based on past use had a little better luck with remington for the money. this is going to be a working gun. it will ride on truck tractor dozer horse combine 4-wheeler 365.it might fall off the horse get lost in the woods . left leaning on a rock until i get missing it and go find it. hopefully not get run over by the truck.it will get the dust blown off it at the shop every now and then. and a little trans fluid will get pored on it .sps tatical 500 varmit 449 i would consider anything better about this or allittle more. one finger typing is getting to me    
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2010 at 00:44
picked up a remington sps tatical for 491 tax wasn't exactly what i wanted but could not pass it up .it has a 9 in twist 20 in barrel going to see if it shoots 77s. thanks for the replies
fluidpusher View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluidpusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 11:57
The R5 223. cal rifle is a 1:9" twist rate, i just got one!  haven't had opportunity to shoot it yet but I'm told it likes 69 gr. SMK bullets, I shoot the same bullet from my 1:8" bull barrel AR 15 very accurate!
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 14:31
Cowski,
I think you would be better off starting with the 69 gr. SMK's for that twist and barrel length, but if you go 77s let me now how that works out, every rifle is different.  Good Luck.
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 14:32
I have a XCR Compact Tactical 700 with the 20" barrel and 1 in 9 twist. Mine shoots Remington UMC 50grn hp's unbelievably. And it shoots Winchester 64grn power points very well also !! But it is a very picky gun..........there were several factory loads it would not shoot well from 45-60 grains !!
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 14:33
cbm,
Have you tried 62gr. or anything larger in your XCR.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic