OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Brown bones a problem?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brown bones a problem?
    Posted: November/19/2009 at 22:26

Have butchered 20-30 deer each of the last 6-7 years and this is a first.

An 8 pt buck that looked perfectly healthy alive, and had nothing else appear odd had brown bones.  Not white or craem like normal, but brown.

Any ideas?  Meet looked and smelled normal.

Thanks
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2009 at 06:03
Never heard of that.  Might want to ask a butcher if he has encountered this.  No you know any veterinarians you could ask for an opinion?
God save the Empire!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2009 at 07:10
  Got me.  What did the liver look like if you know?
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2009 at 07:14
I would ask fish and game and see if their biologist has ever seen this.  I would be a little hesitant about the meat....but I am no expert.  It could be fine.
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2009 at 07:14
 An old farmer's wife I know always bragged about how her home-grown chickens had white bones instead of those brown bones all the store-bought fryers seem to have.
She seemed to assume that it was common knowledge that white bones indicated a healthier, more wholesome and better-tasting bird.
(???)
 I'm guessing the bone color is related to the intake of various minerals. Was this deer taken over or near a mineral lick or someting like that?
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2009 at 07:35
Originally posted by BillyWayne BillyWayne wrote:

I would ask fish and game and see if their biologist has ever seen this.  I would be a little hesitant about the meat....but I am no expert.  It could be fine.

Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2009 at 08:11

Take a cut it up as normal. Take and cook your mother in-law a nice roast and drop it off at her house for her to enjoy alone. if she is still a pain in the arsie in 2 weeks the meat is good. if she dies throw the rest out.

keep us posted.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2009 at 08:49
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

if she dies throw the rest out.

Or you could probably sell the rest to some other sons-in-law. I'm not sayin' I'm one of 'em. But I'm not sayin' I ain't either.
Reaction time is a factor...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic