OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Firearm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted_Nugent007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Firearm
    Posted: November/19/2009 at 16:37
what is the proper way to break in a rifle barrelLoco
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 17:09
Shoot it,  LOL!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 17:10
Shoot it, and when your done, clean it properly to remove copper fouling.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 17:12
Then shoot it some more!
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 17:18

As John B. once stated, "keep the pointed end forward".

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 18:52
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Shoot it,  LOL!

Roll on Floor Laughing  Aren't you forgetting to throw it on the rock pile till you hear the right tone?
Roll on Floor Laughing
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 20:04
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Shoot it,  LOL!
Roll on Floor Laughing  Aren't you forgetting to throw it on the rock pile till you hear the right tone?Roll on Floor Laughing

Dang it, well I am gettin' old. I knew I forgot something.          
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 20:16
I have been told by high end barrel manufacturers that the idea of cleaning in between shots for the break in period is more for accuracy measurements that you or the shooter needs for accuracy confirmation.  Also they have suggested to use a progressive 1 then 5 then 10 then 20 then 40 then after each interval you think you need to.  I use Gunzilla it is a TOP Duck Product and it seems to work very well...  I have talked to some Custom shops that say every other shot for 50 then every five for 100. Also heard every for 50.  I have read the JB articles and they make perfect sense...I would think the average John Cleanbore does more damage than good every bullet for the first 50...
No one
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 20:20
Not universally accepted but humorous.....

Barrel break-in TLC
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 21:05
Let me summarize my experience:

Most barrels (that is to say, factory barrels) are a little rough. Each bullet that goes down the bore when it is perfectly clean will smooth it SLIGHTLY.

Some people are convinced that you must clean the barrel perfectly between each round for 10-30 shots in order to break in a barrel "properly." This is OK if you absolutely need the barrel to be shooting it's absolute best within 30 rounds (as some target shooters prefer) but for most hunting rifles, if you clean it perfectly every 10-30 rounds while working up loads, it will break in just fine.

Some barrels even shoot their very best right from the get-go. This is more common with top-notch barrels than factory barrels, but it happens with factory barrels as well.

On average I shoot at least 15-20 new barrels a year (sometimes much more) and long ago grew too weary of the 1-shot-clean routine to pay much attention to it, especially since there was little evidence that it resulted in magic accuracy. In my experience is barrel is either going to shoot or it isn't, and when the barrels that shoot are broken in they will shoot a little better. But it doesn't matter a heck of a lot whether you clean it after every shot or after every 10-30 shots until it smooths up.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 21:18

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 22:08
My tactical rifle builder and Shilen say the following:
1 shot-  clean the barrel then use a copper fouling cleaner ( I use sweets 7.62) on the barrel. 
Do this for 10 shots.
5 shot group-  and clean as before.
Do this until the copper fouling is gone.
I have never had to use more than 20 rounds to break in the barrel, however, results vary.
Good Luck!Howdy

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2009 at 10:54
I saw Ted Nugent in Seattle in about 1976 or '77.  SmokingCrazy Times!! Ted puts on a great show, at least he used to. I clean my rifles when they are dirty. Ive not ever used any kind of break in process. Maybe there is something to it, maybe not....

Edited by JF4545 - November/20/2009 at 14:16
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2009 at 13:54
I've got a little more time now, so...... Using a Savage 10fp as an example. When I first started with this rifle I was not impressed with the accuracy. I started working up loads to see if I could improve the accuracy. After each session at the range shooting groups, I would clean the barrel using one of the foaming bore cleaners that was for copper fouling. I apply the foam to the barrel and let it set over night, and then use a jag and dry patch to remove the foam. I repeat with dry patches until they come out clean. After the barrel is clean, I use Tetragun bore treatment on a patch followed by another dry patch.
My groups have shrunk to sub MOA, but I can't say if it's the cleaning or the developed loads. I suspect it's a little of one and a lot of another.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Ted_Nugent007 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted_Nugent007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2009 at 13:01
HEY ALL THANK'S FOR THE TIP'S ON BREAKING IN A BARREL! JUST MOUNTED MY SCOPE AND BORE SIGHTED. MY HARRIS BI-POD CAME IN AND SINCE MOUNTED IT ON MY REM 700 308 VTR THE RIFLE LOOK'S AWESOME WISH I COULD POST SOME PICTURES BUT I JUST HOPE IT SHOOT'S AS GOOD AS IT LOOKS THANK'S AGAIN FELLAS   REMEMBER KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY LOL TEDDYBandito 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2009 at 17:13
Protect the crown of the barrel and if possible clean from the rear using a plastic bore brush guide to keep the rod centered.  For rifles like an M1a where you can not run the rod down from the back use the type where you drop the string down the barrel and pull the rest of the cleaning bore snake through.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2009 at 17:21

Dewey bore guide is another solution when the only access is through the front of the barrel (10/22, M1A, etc).

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2009 at 17:33
First time I saw Ted at Winterland (SF) was soon after the release of his first album, he was already "headlining" concerts. 

Click >>>   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYOV8uu17t0

Edited by mike650 - November/21/2009 at 17:47
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2009 at 17:36
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2009 at 17:48
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c3d7QgZr7g
Head Bang

yeah, that's the album!!  Excellent
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic