OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Time for a new scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 17:50
It doesn't sound argumentative to share information.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 18:03
No problem, opinions are good, even if they disagree with mine.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 20:02

I think you are right.  (Take that the best you can, I am horrible with words you should talk to my wife)

I do not know about a reticle for this type of shooting.
I have used the NF optics but I did not use them for an extended period of time in the CQB type scope. 

Do they have a reticle that is or is not artifically lit?  Do they have a balasitic reticle for this application?

The ones I have used are the type with two lines with a dot or just a Dot nothing lit or for the longer distance shots like the ACOG or EO tech. 

A few dots or hash marks arrows anything to help would make the longer distance shots easier.
No one
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2009 at 12:22
So what do you guys think of the small FOV on the 3x ACOG.  It only has 20 feet @ 100 yards.  The 4x versions have 36 @ 100.  That seems like a deal breaker to me.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SkaerE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkaerE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2009 at 15:50
what about the US Optics SN4?  its built like a tank and at 1x its about as fast as my EoTech.  Sent you a PM 
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2009 at 16:51
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

So what do you guys think of the small FOV on the 3x ACOG.  It only has 20 feet @ 100 yards.  The 4x versions have 36 @ 100.  That seems like a deal breaker to me.  

The only negative with the 4x (for me) is the short eye relief; otherwise, it's an excellent choice. It's also lighter than the 3x and 3.5x ACOG's by a few ounces too.

Look at the 3.5x35 too. It has around 29' FOV (in between the 3x and 4x) and almost an inch better eye relief than both, though it's heavier much like the 3x.

I already went through this a few months ago. Whacko

338 and Wes were big helps!!!!  Thunbs Up

Edited by mike650 - November/20/2009 at 16:51
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2009 at 10:18
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

3x30 ACOG has a lot more eye relief than the 4x32, hence the difference in field of view.  Personally, I like the 3x30 a little more, but opinions differ.  I have seen people who could not get used to the narrow filed of view of 3x30.

All that aside, for an allround AR-15 optic, Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x24 is hard to beat.  That would be my choice.

ILya
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 16:13
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

The only negative with the 4x (for me) is the short eye relief; otherwise, it's an excellent choice. It's also lighter than the 3x and 3.5x ACOG's by a few ounces too.

Look at the 3.5x35 too. It has around 29' FOV (in between the 3x and 4x) and almost an inch better eye relief than both, though it's heavier much like the 3x.

I already went through this a few months ago. Whacko

338 and Wes were big helps!!!!  Thunbs Up

Actually from what I can find on the net about the 3x is it weights more like 8ozs with a Larue mount.  Trijicon must have their site wrong, or the factory mount is crazy heavy.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
0311GRUNT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0311GRUNT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 23:59
Reading the end of this thread brings me back to a discussion I had with someone the other day. He was complaining that his stock (Mcmillana5) made his .308 to heavy (10ibs OA) I grinned and thought back to the days when i was fresh to the fleet in 29 palms as a boot pfc running range 400 with the m249 saw and 1200 rounds of ammo including the rest of MY gear and of coarse extra barrel. The m249 weighs in empty at roughly 16.5 ibs. This ,I believe is the reason why most of us (vets) can/will tote most anything into the deer wood and smile doing it. 
You cant hit what you cant see
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 07:26
Originally posted by 0311GRUNT 0311GRUNT wrote:

Reading the end of this thread brings me back to a discussion I had with someone the other day. He was complaining that his stock (Mcmillana5) made his .308 to heavy (10ibs OA) I grinned and thought back to the days when i was fresh to the fleet in 29 palms as a boot pfc running range 400 with the m249 saw and 1200 rounds of ammo including the rest of MY gear and of coarse extra barrel. The m249 weighs in empty at roughly 16.5 ibs. This ,I believe is the reason why most of us (vets) can/will tote most anything into the deer wood and smile doing it. 
We were told " the M1 Garand weighs 9.5 lbs.  After 2 miles, the decimal drops out, after 10 miles, you don't care anymore"...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
0311GRUNT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0311GRUNT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2009 at 17:38
ounces=pounds pounds=paine
tombirdman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2009 at 15:29
It looks great!

Does it have a lit recticle for no light or poor light situations ?
gun collector, sword,knife collector, cigar smoker
0311GRUNT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0311GRUNT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2009 at 23:22
the ACOG? Depends on what model,but it collects light through the fiber optic that is built into the top....good for LOW light
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic