OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Time for a new scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time for a new scope
    Posted: November/18/2009 at 14:38
Well I just processed the Christmas bonus payroll at work and was going to use a bit of mine for a new scope for an AR.  I am torn between several and want to hear some of your opinions.

In no particular order.

ACOG 3x with the green horseshoe reticle.  I have a buddy that has a lightly used one that will sell it to me if I want it.  http://swfa.com/Trijicon-3x30-Acog-Rifle-Scope-P12907.aspx

Next is the Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x.  http://swfa.com/Trijicon-1-4x24-Accu-Point-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P12890.aspx

Next is the IOR 1-4x.  http://swfa.com/IOR-11-4x26-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P2908.aspx

Next is the Nightforce 1-4x.  http://nightforceoptics.com/SCOPES_OVERVIEW/COMPACT_NXS_MODELS_/compact1-4x24nxs/compact1-4x24nxs.html

I am mostly leaning towards the ACOG.  3x would pretty much be ideal for my needs/wants.  But any of the variable would work just as well.  The BDC would be nice, but is not really a deal breaker as lets face it 200 yards is plenty for my shooting needs and I can zero there and am good to go pretty much anywhere under. 

Anyway, lets hear your thoughts.  If you can think of any others that would fit in feel free to share.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2009 at 14:52
I kinda like the IOR 1-4x, because I like the reticle and being able to go from 1x to 4x for CQB to mid range work. However if the price is right on the 3x ACOG it is a good compromise, if the price is right.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2009 at 16:02
The Nightforce is the best "all around" optic, in my opinion.  The glass is good, it is easy to get behind, everything is where it should be and functions as it should.

The ACOG is no slouch, it is a good optic, but it is fixed 3X, which limits use somewhat.

I have known 5 shooters who bought the IOR and none kept it.  It is a good optic, but everyone hated something about it.

The Trijicon Accupoint would be high on my list for an AR.  Having played with one now, I really like the eye relief (for an AR) and it is easy to get behind, and easy to set up in a QD mount if you want.  The reticle is also a plus for me.

My list, in order of "where my $$ would go" is as follows:

Nightforce
Accupoint
ACOG
IOR

If the ACOG is a smoke'in deal, I might move it up before the Accupoint, but the fixed 3X would keep me from bumping it ahead of the Nightforce.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2009 at 23:40
10640 Trijicon 3x24 Compact Acog TA50R4, Matte finish, Red Crosshair reticle, BAC, in store display model $599.95
 Thunbs Up 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - November/28/2009 at 15:40

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 04:30
Peeker
Rath View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 05:12
I love my TR24G, if you have little need to further than 200 (though you can dial the Accupoint) than I think this is the optic.

Rath
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 09:21

I am a bit biased but ACOG.

It does not limit you in anyway...  Having the other Dots to make the Shots...

No one
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 09:23
Originally posted by Rath Rath wrote:

I love my TR24G, if you have little need to further than 200 (though you can dial the Accupoint) than I think this is the optic.

Rath

So does it have resettable knobs or are they just typical hunting type knobs?  Set it and leave it.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 09:59
What is the purpose of the AR?

I wouldn't put a fixed 3X on a home defense rifle.  On a zombie rifle, sure.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 10:45
HOME DEFENSE?

EO TECH... 2X ON SUNDAYS.
No one
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 11:29
It is not a home defense rifle, my shotgun plays that role.  I will take some rifle classes with it and use it for hunting and plinking.  

Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 12:41

What type of rifle classes?  Carbine classes?  Shoot on the move? 3/5 gun matches?

maybe 3x with magnifier would be best.

what set-up AR?

maybe Iron-sights with Eo Tech...

Dominator Mount with appropiate Magnifier. RRA Dominator 2

Great Post by the way.

Many of people always asking for similar reasons.

Some people don't like looking through magnifier but shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - November/19/2009 at 12:46
No one

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 13:03
Whatever you do, look through a Nightforce 1-4 before you make a final decision.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 14:12
Classes will be carbine classes consisting of mostly technique and running the weapon.  Also tactics classes and scenarios with shooting on the move and moving targets and multiple positions.  I have taken all these classes a few times with a 4x scope and while not the best for the close stuff it worked.  I figure going to 3x will be a little better for the movement and stuff while still giving me the easier ability of hitting longer shots.  While the 1x of the variable would be better still.  But there is just something about wanting an ACOG.  I am becoming a bigger fan of fixed power scopes all the time.

I am not a fan of batteries so an Eotech or Aimpoint is out of the question.  It would be just my luck to get it out yote hunting or something and need batteries.  Plus I want some magnification and the whole flip up magnifier just is not what I want.

The AR is just one I built.  Pretty basic, flat top, flip up front and rear sights, WOA 16" barrel.

I am hoping I do get the chance to look through them all before I buy anthing.  Not really in to big of a hurry as I don't really need the scope, I just want one.

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 14:14
for my 6.8 I tried lots of options including the ACoG TA33, IOR 1-4 (old and new), several other low power variables, aimpoint with 3x magnifier

I also checked out the NF 1-4 and liked it

having said that, the Accupoint 1-4 is what has stayed on the gun
mainly for hunting, pigs and deer

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 14:58
I took a 4x ACOG off my patrol rifle and put a M2 Aimpoint on it. While I think the M2 is a better CQB sight than the ACOG, I'm going to put the ACOG back on the rifle. I don't have to turn it on, It's more accurate at most distances, and it's a tough scope. A 1-4x would be more versatile, but I don't think it would be as tough. Besides the ACOG is paid for.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 15:39

I believe you are on the right track.

An ACOG for those who have had them and were properly trained on them is unbeatable.

There I said it.

You will not find yourself wanting you will find yourself satisfied.  If not I will gladly take it off your hands for what you have into it. 

Good luck either way.

Everyone posting has had good input.
No one
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 15:40

I THINK RANCID HAS A POINT YOU MUST KNOW WHAT YOU GIVE UP WHEN YOU DO NOT GO WITH THE NIGHTFORCE, BUT FOR YOUR USE IT IS A HARD ONE.

No one

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 16:23
Don't misunderstand, I am an ACOG fan, ran one for awhile,  My dissatisfaction came when engaging close, moving targets, 3X was too much.

I would happily buy another if I had a rifle set up that called for it.

A good 1-4X is good from point-blank out to about 300 yards (in my experience) and can be used as a "both-eyes-open" close-range scope.  In my opinion, there is much to say for a good 1-4.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 16:55

I know this sounds like I am trying to argue but I am not.

Training was very specific using an Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight. 

We used the same weapon for clearing rooms as we did for far out work 20" barrel and 4x ACOG's.

We did excercises with blind eye viewing and mirrors.  Also did take a long time to understand the concept of not squinting but opening and allowing. 

I would say the best practice is limited dry firing or targeting / "aiming" once again you do not aim you point shoot.

It does take practice but both eyes open you learn to point shoot so to speak you pick the black of your target and once in view you squeeze.  You will be on target everytime. 

It is a learned technique to allow your eyeS  to follow the target your head or nose follows or tracks the movement as you would not natural do this if you were aiming.  Everything is ONE.
No one
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic