OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

6x or 6.5x binoculars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6x or 6.5x binoculars
    Posted: August/03/2005 at 16:04

I am considering buying comparatively low magnification compact or semicompact binoculars of 6x or 6.5x variety.  Something with the objective lenses of 32mm or less.

There are not a whole lot of them around:

Wind River Katmai

Minox 6.5x32IF

competitor Ranger Platinum

are the ones that I found fairly easily.  Are there others that are of decent quality?  I am not a big fan of Katmai line, which leaves me with Minox and competitor.  I've looked through competitor 6x binocular, but not through Minox.  Individual focus on the Minox is something I am very comfortable with (I am used to my IOR binos).  Has anyone used it?

Any other suggestions?

Ilya

Rusty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2005 at 08:04
How about the Fujinon FMTR-SX 6X30?  This series has great optics, is built stronger than a Leica, and is relatively inexpensive.  The 6X30's do weigh 30 oz though.  Binoculars.com has them for under $200. 
gremlin View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2005 at 08:41

http://www.pentaximaging.com/products/product_details/binocu lar--Papilio_6.5_x_21/reqID--6464784/subsection--Compact_pap ilio

Pentax is really trumpeting the close focus capability of the new Papilio line (specifically designed for butterfly watchers).  But like the UCF line, I'm sure the colors are brilliant.  6.5x power...

Rusty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2005 at 09:41
Has anyone at SWFA compared the Minox 6.5X 32 to other 32 mm brands?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2005 at 12:51

Rusty, the Fujinon binocular that is under $200 is not an FMTR-SX (aka Polaris), but is a AR-SX.  Which is a nice marine binocular, but not an equal to FMTR-SX. A 6x30 FMTR-SX is in the high three hundreds.  Also, I am planning to purchase a 8x30 version of FMTR-SX, and I'd rather by a 6x from a different manufacturer (a point of curiosity for a techno geek like me).

Gremlin, the Papiliio binocular sounds very interesting.  I like Pentax inverse porros (UCF), but I missed the Papilio line completely.  It is not waterproof, but it is also pretty inexpensive and might be worth a try.

Any other options?

Ilya

Rusty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2005 at 16:01
Let us know here, how the 8X30 is optically and ergonomically, I am also interested in one of those binos.
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2005 at 16:45

Why not go for an old Zeiss Silvamar or similar WW2 binos.

They are indvidual focus and that is both stronger and makes lifes easyer.

Regards Håkan

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2005 at 16:51

I've spent a little time with the 8x30 Fujinon FMTR-SX and it is awesome.  Probably on par with or close to Nikon Superior E, but waterproof and more rugged.  I know I want it, but since I am not in any particular rush I am waiting to find a good deal on Ebay or elsewhere. If I do not find it in the next month or two, I'll just buy it from whichever retailer has the best prices at the time.

Ilya

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2005 at 16:57

I generally avoid German products.  I might make an exception for Minox since an individually focusing roof prism binocular is unique to Minox (to the best of my knowledge).  If I do muster enough curiousity to buy a Minox binocular, I will play with it a bit and then sell it.  I would definitely not buy a German product of WW2 vintage.  Aside from that, having compared old WWII vintage binoculars with modern porros like Nikon Superior E or Fujinon Polaris, I think the modern porros are vastly superior.

Ilya

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2005 at 17:28

Zeiss 8x30 BGA is a indivudually focused roof prism binocular.

Personally I prefer porro prisms, but of course there is numerous of good german roofs as well.

I have never seen anything close to german binoculars in any circumstances that can compete with the germans.

lighter, bigger field of view, brighter sharper................

It doesnt sounds like you have tested better quality WW2 binoculars with coating...........

Regards Håkan

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2005 at 11:54
I may not have tested better quality WW2 binoculars with coating.  I have seen a few though and they were good for their time.  They are still German though and I choose to avoid buying anything German, especially something made by the nazis.

As for german binoculars being unrivalled.  Well, that is arguable.  I do not have as much experience as many people on this forum, but I have seen a lot of different binoculars.  The best view to my eyes was Nikon Superior E porros.  Swift 8.5x44 ED was up there as well as is Fujinon FMTR-SX.

As far as roofs go, Nikon Venturer LX can hold its own against just about any German roof prism binocular.

Ilya
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2005 at 16:07

I rarely use smaller binoculars as htey not are as steady or have good picture enoguh.

I got plenty of binoculars and I try every now and then to take something lighter as I dont wanna carry more than I need to.

But at the end of the day I almost always ends up with Zeiss 7X50B mariner, Zeiss 8x60 or Hensoldt 10x50.

Both the 7x50 and the Hensoldt are still being produced but the 8x60 are ww2 stuff.

I of the smaller binoculars that I like is the Hensoldt 8x30.

Indivuidally focuesed porro........

I rarely use centerfocus as its to slow and to fragile, and only gives more work for the money.

Regards Håkan

Rusty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2005 at 08:38

Håkan:

How good is the Hensoldt?  How does it hold up to the newer roof prism 8X30's?  One problem with older used optics, is that the coatings get abused by cleaning and use.  I have cleaned tree sap and pieces of shale off my objectives after climbing up a scree slide. 

A good review on the Hensoldt is on: http://www.holgermerlitz.de/    In the US you can get used Hensoldts for about $250.  I still would rather go to either the Fuji FMTR-SX or a Kahles.  If I could ever afford it, I would get the Ultravid (maybe next year). 

Later Hombre,

Crusty Rusty

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2005 at 16:55

I know its not exactly what you are looking for but you might consider the B&L 7x26 Customs, they have a cult following....more so than any other binocular that I've seen.

The current version is the Bushnell 7x26 Custom

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2005 at 22:24

Rusty

I would say the Hensoldt är better and more confortable.

But only if you find a good condition.

Regards Håkan

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic