OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best Muzzle Brakes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Muzzle Brakes
    Posted: November/17/2009 at 17:35
Hey Guys,
I have two rifles I want to have muzzle brakes installed on...Im pretty picky so I would like someone who does the best work. Obviously I want the brake which reduces recoil the most as well...
Your experience would be appreciated....
Thanks JF
Dave Wilson View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2009 at 17:48
the which brake is best conversation is always a compromise between looks and function. the baffle style will reduce more recoil but some don't like the looks. the radial hole style is usually very appeasing to most but don't work "quite" as well. plus i don't like the holes on the bottom that cause nasty things to be blasted in your face.
  i have a Holland radial port baffle style brake which is about the best when it comes to reducing recoil. i'm very impressed with it. keep in mind the baffle style brakes can be hard on scopes.
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2009 at 17:59
Is the Vias Brake or Mag-Na-Port Brake both Baffle Style ?
Dave Wilson View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2009 at 18:04
No, they have holes drilles all the way around the barrel. i think the mag na port actually just drilles holes in your barrel, not an add on to the end.
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2009 at 18:12
Mag-Na-Port started way back in the 70's or maybe even before that making "Ported" barrels they called it Magnaport and yes they laser the end of your barrel on both sides to stop muzzle jump. Now they also make Muzzle Brakes which are threaded on or off. Im just trying to figure out what Baffeled means verses not baffeled and whats best..I will look up the difference, Thanks!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2009 at 19:01
vais makes a nice one so i hear. i have a .300win mag with the boss after one shot in the field without hearing protection i never did that again.i ordered the boss cr adapter for it the next day. they are way to loud.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2009 at 19:12
My brother has a .300RUM that's magnaport'ed and I think it works very well from my experience shooting it and doesn't look bad either (4 small ports). The baffle style brakes should reduce more recoil though vs. the magnaport.

What rifle you looking at setting up Julio??
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2009 at 19:15
Yeah, pretty loud eh. Im not so sure I would use it huntin. It would most be for target practice to see what these Rifles will really do.. I do not flinch while hunting but I sure flinch while target shooting.. Plus I got the neck/zipperhead thing going on and thats what really really hurts me bad...I think that Kimber 270WSM just might settle down with the right brake. Course it would be a drag to go to all that work, time and expense to find out it was still to much recoil for my neckBig Grin I would probably throw it in the river so I no longer had to deal with it....

Hi Mike, its the 270wsm mostly but if I could get em all shooting like BB guns I would be pretty happy and very accurate as well.......

Edited by JF4545 - November/17/2009 at 19:17
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2009 at 19:21
Hey Julio

I always thought Briley makes an attractive brake

I had one on a 338 win mag barrel and it was not as loud as the Boss system ones and reduced recoil down to where it felt like a 30-06.  No puff or air in your face either since the slots closest to you are pointed forward.

I have a ported barrel on a 338 RUM

and it does not reduce recoil much but it is not nearly as loud as a normal muzzle brake, does help to keep muzzle rise reduced though.

This brake on a 300 RUM

really reduces recoil a lot but it is very noisy and will blow chit off the reloading bench.  That rifle kicks like a 243 but it is a heavy gun also which will be part of the reason.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2009 at 19:30
I like the looks of those Bob, Vias advertises 40 or maybe 50 % less recoil on a 7mm mag. The 270wsm is pretty much comparible I would say then..But the Vias sticks out a ways...hmm I will check out these web site. Thank you very much!

Those are all brakes which are screwed on except the ported one (#3) eh?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2009 at 19:35
ask bob about some of his other recoil reducing techniques. the mercury tube in the stock and the lead tape in the fore end there are other answers problem is that those add weight which sorta defeats the purpose of having a light weight field carrying rifle.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2009 at 19:43
Yeah I understand Pyro, but if you could lighten it back up for hunting that would be cool. I can handle the ocassional heavier recoil, like one or two shots on an Elk. Its that repeated shooting at targets. Im going to order a shooting pad that is made of rubber and you wear it like a shoulder holster. I just have to find the one I looked at at Sportsmans Wholesale. The only thing with a pad you wear is you have to watch its not to thick ot it throws you all off when shooting your rifle....

Dang that ported barrel Bobs got sure looks nice, to bad its not as good as a brake!!!

Edited by JF4545 - November/17/2009 at 19:46
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2009 at 19:46
well if your only worried about the recoil on the bench use a lead sled.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2009 at 19:59
I'd rather not have one at all, but if one is needed, you can't go wrong with Vais.  I've always been very satisfied with their brakes; they are very effective.

The Briley brake on Bob's rifle looks cool.  Don't know how effective it is compared to Vais.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2009 at 21:33
Originally posted by sakomato sakomato wrote:

Hey Julio

I always thought Briley makes an attractive brake

I had one on a 338 win mag barrel and it was not as loud as the Boss system ones and reduced recoil down to where it felt like a 30-06.  No puff or air in your face either since the slots closest to you are pointed forward.

I have a ported barrel on a 338 RUM

and it does not reduce recoil much but it is not nearly as loud as a normal muzzle brake, does help to keep muzzle rise reduced though.

This brake on a 300 RUM

really reduces recoil a lot but it is very noisy and will blow chit off the reloading bench.  That rifle kicks like a 243 but it is a heavy gun also which will be part of the reason.

Nice pics Bob!! I couldn't see them earlier because my work blocks the site that you store your pics at.  Wink
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2009 at 22:46

Surefire of all manufacturers has an outstanding effective design

No one
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2009 at 22:53
Originally posted by JF4545 JF4545 wrote:

I like the looks of those Bob, Vias advertises 40 or maybe 50 % less recoil on a 7mm mag. The 270wsm is pretty much comparible I would say then..But the Vias sticks out a ways...hmm I will check out these web site. Thank you very much!

Those are all brakes which are screwed on except the ported one (#3) eh?

Yeah, the ported one is part of the barrel and the crown is before the port.  When I rebarreled with a Brux barrel the gunsmith, Guy Malmborg at Lock Stock & Barrel in Salt Lake City, talked me into it.  I'm glad he did.  The barrel is a 26" #5 contour so it is a heavy gun.  I kinda like heavy guns and took the 338 RUM Elk hunting this year and walked a few miles with it.  Sure it would have been nice to have a 7 pound rifle but most of the Elk we were seeing were 400 to 500 yards away and that extra barrel gave me some confidence that I could have made the shot if I had been presented with one.

Long time ago I had a 6 1/2 pound Sauer 30-06 and that was the hardest gun to get an accurate load with that I have ever had.  There is a reason that benchrest guns are heavy.  The extra barrel diameter does a lot for accuracy.

If you were needing a brake for a .338 I would send you the Briley.  It is still on the Lothar Walther 338 win mag barrel that came off the gun.  The diameter of the barrel at the brake is .650" but I think the diameter of the hole in the brake has to be within a certain close distance to the diameter of the bore for it to be effective.  Might work on a .325 caliber but probably not .308" or smaller.

If the barrel does not have a large enough diameter, they usually have to install a brake that would be larger than you barrel diameter.  One of those knob ones like the Boss and not flush like the Briley shown in my pics.

What is the diameter of your barrel at the muzzle?
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2009 at 23:42
Bob,
The barrel diameter is smaller, its approx. .560" and the stainless rifle is .590"
J
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2009 at 07:33
Originally posted by JF4545 JF4545 wrote:

Bob,
The barrel diameter is smaller, its approx. .560" and the stainless rifle is .590"
J

Then you would not be able to get a "flush" muzzle brake, it would have to be one of the ones that looks like a knot on the end of the barrel.
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2009 at 10:53
I just talked to George at Vias Arms. Very good CS, nice guy. I will be sending the 270wsm to them. They can match the HP finish and have done alot of Kimbers SA's. Been in business along time, I like that. I'l have them recrown the muzzle too!  I may send them another one but I wait and just do one at a time....George told me the design they have does not make the rifle loud for the shooter. Its in the design of the brake and the sound is directed out away from the muzzle. Longer the barrel the better I would guess. This should be interesting and if I do not like it or want to shoot it without the brake, I can just screw the cap on the end of the barrel. Thunbs Up
Thanks!! JF 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic