OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Whats Up With The White Stuff

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats Up With The White Stuff
    Posted: November/17/2009 at 17:12
i have 4.5 - 14 -50 pentax whitails unlimited scope and have had it since new for 8 years or so,everytime im looking towards the west just before during and after sunset my scope whites out bad,not only is this embarresing considering what i paid and that i turned down a nikon for it,but cheaper scopes like the simmons dont do this and as a consequence ive missed 2 trophy opportunities.i sent it to pentex and they said that its typical for a large bell to do that,why would they make it if it was?has anyone had similar probs?i hate to sell it to someone its almost worthless to me thinking about sending to pentax and telling them to throw it away,any suggestions?i bought the pentax sunshade for it i even bought a sock for the ss barrel thinkin it might cause a glare.ive compared a simons 44 mag side by sidethat was a lil embarrasing to,im totally frustrated,maybe the tech at pentax didnt really look at my scope.thanks
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2009 at 17:16
It is the coatings on the glass.  i ahve some scopes that do that badly and others that perform much better in that regard.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2009 at 17:29
 I think Supertool's right, it seems to happen with some scopes more than others, and it probably has no real connection to overall quality. An extended tube (sunshade) will help minimize it a great deal. An ARD ( Anti-Reflection Device) probably helps a little, too.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2009 at 17:44
It happens with some scopes more than others.  It is not necessarily coatings though, and often times, the quality of the coatings is not the primary problem.  Typically it is a combination of different things: reflections from glass surfaces (i.e. coating problems), reflections from internal metal pieces in the scope, scattering in the glass, scattering due to surface imperfections, etc.

Veiling flare like that described by the original poster is likely a result of some reflections in the objective lens group.  Sunshade or ARD would probably help a little bit; however, if there is a bright object within the field of view, then it is not going to be much help.

ILya
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2009 at 16:44
Ilya, it's great having you around, sometimes we need a professional explenation of what we can't put into words, I guess the "Dark Lord" is  more than justified.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2009 at 17:21
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Ilya, it's great having you around, sometimes we need a professional explenation of what we can't put into words, I guess the "Dark Lord" is  more than justified.

You are welcome.

The whole "DarkLord" thing started out as a product of cheaptrick's fertile imagination and had nothing to do with thing optical.  I thought it was funny, and it kinda got stuck.

ILya
dtels View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2009 at 19:33

thanks for the info,i just didnt think i had to rig up a scope with more stuff to make it work considering the cost and the fact i could of got better results with a lesser scope,has anybody had this experiance with this scope before?any suggestion on what one might do in this situation?

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2009 at 21:05
See if Chris will take it in trade on a scope you really want.  Chris@SWFA.com
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
crispycritter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispycritter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 09:38
Originally posted by dtels dtels wrote:

thanks for the info,i just didnt think i had to rig up a scope with more stuff to make it work considering the cost and the fact i could of got better results with a lesser scope,has anybody had this experiance with this scope before?any suggestion on what one might do in this situation?

Not with this scope but had a Bush. Banner do the same thing. I fixed it by selling it.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 09:47
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

We'll pass if it's that bad, I would not want to pass it on to some unsuspecting customer.
crispycritter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispycritter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 10:39
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

We'll pass if it's that bad, I would not want to pass it on to some unsuspecting customer.

Is this a QC problem with the scope or a problem all scopes in the product line will have?
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 10:46
We have a 3-9x40 and a 6.5-20x50 and I can't get either one to do it.

dtels View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 11:42

only does this in the evening facing westerly near sunset.has anyone ever had this problem or a service problem with pentax?like i said before i wouldnt want to sell it to anyone,its looking like im just gonna send it to pentax and tell thim to keep it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic