OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

"Stopgap" Mildot scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeavyDuty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Stopgap" Mildot scope?
    Posted: August/03/2005 at 08:18

I've pretty much decided on either a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 Mildot with target knobs or a Nikon Tactical 4-16x50 Mildot for my new 700 VSSF in .223, but the budget doesn't stretch that far at the moment.  I'll need to get through the rest of 2005 with something else if I'm going to be shooting this rifle at all.

I'm beginning to think I should invest in the Badger base now, and get a (much) more moderate Mildot scope for the season to start learning range estimation skills.  This "temporary" scope could then be used as a backup after I get something better.  I'm not in a tactical environment, so I'm not worried about absolute waterproofing or durability - it's going to only be used at the local range and in area beanfields.  Quite frankly, even the $300 for a SS is more than I'd care to spend for this purpose, but I don't know what else is out there.

What about a Bushnell 10x40 Elite 3200 ($200), a Bushnell 5-15x40 Legend ($195) or a Simmons 6-21x44 ($195, and even has side focus!).  Even better from the fiscal side is the Bushnell 6-24x40 Banner Dusk & Dawn ($133) - I'll stop here, there's more found with a SWFA search on "Mildot".  (I think I'm safe in ignoring BSA and Tasco - or am I?)

I realize a scope in this price range can't carry a Zeiss or Nikon Tactical's water, but would serve a purpose in allowing me to break in the new rifle and learn a bit about Mildot.

What are the low-cost pearls that are out there?  That Elite 3200 may be it.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2005 at 15:48

I have a couple of scopes that I call "in between".  I use them as temporary scopes on guns that are waiting for me to collect funds for the next project.  One is a Sightron S1 3-9x40 w/mildot.  It is cheap at $100-$125 and holds zero as well as any other scope I have.

Ilya

HeavyDuty View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeavyDuty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2005 at 17:07

A friend solved the problem for me.  He has (had) a brand new Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 SF Mildot he just picked up for a spare scope, and he wants one of my spare AR barrels.  A trade has been arranged.

This scope actually makes sense, since I think I'll be going with a 4ish-16ish Tactical at some point.  This way I can try the concept and see if this zoom range works for my shooting style.  That, and the 4.5x14x40 will be great on a future .22WMR or .17HMR!

Now, to find a Badger 20 MOA base for my rifle and a set of decent rings that will stay on this scope...

gary0529 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary0529 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2005 at 05:18
Take a look at the Mueller.
Put one on a Rock River Varmint and could not be happier.
With handloads and a 69 gr Sierra I can cloverleaf them most all day and have had no problem with point of aim moving - may be due to low recoil w/ 223 but I am not complaining.
I believe I paid around 150 for it and mounted with Warne base and Burris QR rings.
Very satisfied with set up and I did not have to spring the 1000 for the Leupold.
wabbit wacker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wabbit wacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2005 at 16:06
stay away from cheap variable scopes
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic