OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Lee Auto Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lee Auto Primer
    Posted: November/10/2009 at 20:29
I don't know why I waited so long to get one. I've been reloading for three years and have been putting up with the temperamental, mis-aligned primer feeder on my Redding Big Boss II press that whole time. I've lost about 5% of my primers to flipping and a slight mis-alignment makes seating each primer time consuming. Sometimes it even has shaved off a bit of brass from the lip of the primer pocket. I called Redding and didn't get much of an answer other than to send in the assembly. I probably will but am somewhat disappointed with their response. Otherwise I've been quite happy with their press, dies, and advice before.

I looked at other primer seaters and even considered the $inclair. But I really did not feel like spending much and noticed that Sinclair even mentions the Lee pretty favorably in their catalog and on their site. I just seated 20 rounds with it and - like reviewers have mentioned - will be careful not to push the handle too hard since it does feel kind of pot-metal cheap. However, the tool's design is great, it's fast and, unlike the Sinclair, you can load a 100 primers at a time and never have to touch them.
Reaction time is a factor...
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 20:44
  Not so much will you break the handle by pushing too hard BUT you can crush a primer! Over time with use you'll be able to feel when the primer bottoms in its pocket. I've had my Lee for almost 30yrs and it's NEVER failed me.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Crosswire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crosswire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 21:01
I've read a lot about people breaking Lee primer handles, don't know why.  I have two, one for large and one for small primers for over 20 years,  and haven't broken one yet.   Maybe it's because I don't just push harder when a primer is resistant, I stop and find out why it won't go in easy. ?? 

Nor have I worn out the toggle link, maybe that's  because I've kept it lubed?  (With Chap-Stick, which is a soft wax that doen't attact dirt/dust.)
Sam Colt did more to make men equal than any politician ever did.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 21:04

Thunbs Up  Use and not abuse.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 21:25
DILLON... RL550 (not the hand grenade)
No one
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 23:01
I'd maybe consider a Dillon press if I didn't already own a perfectly good one (aside from the primer seater). I have a Dillon tumbler and a case/media separator. But I think the $25 I just spent on the Lee will do...solved the problem that I had.
Reaction time is a factor...
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2009 at 05:28
Love the Lee Auto Prime. I have 1 for large rifle and 1 for small rifle primers.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2009 at 05:32
I have used a Lee Primer for 15 years + and it is still going strong.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2009 at 06:20
ive never had any issue with my primer arm on my rcbs press, maybe im lucky. ive heard nothing but good about the lee auto prime though.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2009 at 08:25
I also use the Lee auto primer for about 8 years now, no problems.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2009 at 09:42
I have an RCBS single stage loader and I use the RCBS hand primer loader.  I have been using this combination for about 9 years.  Although it is not ideal for loading lots of 9mm or 223 rounds, it has been awesome for my big game rounds.  I would like to get a Dillon multi stage to load my 9mm and 223, but for now its out of the question.

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2009 at 12:36
I have both the Lee Auto Prime and the RCBS hand primer.  I use the RCBS for Federal and Remington primers and the Lee for Winchester primers.  I like the Lee better for ease of setup and usage.  Lee recommends not using with Federal primers but I use Fed primers for 357 mag so I use the RCBS for that. 
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2009 at 06:02

+1 for 8shots' experience.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic