OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need some skinny on Ruger M77

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need some skinny on Ruger M77
    Posted: November/10/2009 at 19:00
Guys, I just got my Insurance check  for my Camry and saw a Ruger M77 300Win Mag with 3-9X40 scope in the local paper for $425.  Claims it s shoots tight groups.  I know nothing about Rugers much less the M77s. 

Please share you opinions and thoughts on this rifle.  A 300 win mag is the cal I want to get next.  Is this one worth persueing?
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 19:23
 Sure.
Why not?

Whistling

( Not a big Ruger fan myself, but don't let that bother you. They really are pretty good rifles with some very nice features.)
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 19:26
for $425 thats an ok price, its got the controlled push feed. im guessing at that price its a markII and not a new hawkeye. i would ask for proof targets before buying though. i had a markII in a .280 that shot pretty well. three position safety is nice too.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 19:45
   We're talking the original M77 w/tang safety,right? That's a fair price for a GOOD rifle. I've got one in the Compact Carbine configuration(.243 Win). Got a friend who has one in .25-06 that is VERY accurate. I found one like your talking about for a friend about 5-6 yrs ago. Like new for $375 w/o a scope.  I've seen them going for more than $425.
  The triggers are suppose to be adjustable from within the trigger guard but mine never made a diff when adjusted. They are not a true controlled round feed if that matters to you. They have an intregal receiver/ring base set-up and a number of aftermarket ring manufacturers have rings for them if you would decide to try something else. Can't really remember of any "quirks" associated with the rifles.  I do know that JB used one as a basis for a custom rifle and I believe his gunsmith friend Charlie Sisk likes to build on them.  One thing for sure,they are a tough rifle.  If you like the way shoots and it looks good inside and out,I'd say go for it.

Edited by 300S&W - November/10/2009 at 19:48
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 19:48
as far as i know the ruger triggers arent adjustable at all without an aftermarket trigger. they say its a controlled round feed on their web site.
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/m77HawkeyeStandard/features.html

Edited by pyro6999 - November/10/2009 at 19:49
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 19:55
  The old M77(tang safety) had an allen screw reachable through a hole in the top of the trigger guard that Ruger said was a trigger adjustment. Mine does nothing.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 19:57
Rugers offer good value for the dollar, I've only owned three, two shot well the other sucked.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 20:06
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

The old M77(tang safety) had an allen screw reachable through a hole in the top of the trigger guard that Ruger said was a trigger adjustment. Mine does nothing.
if it was made between 1968 and 1992 and is a top tang it would have a three screw adjustable trigger similar to a remington 700 type. if its a markII or a hawkeye its not adjustable.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 20:06
I have a 77 MK11 as my "go to" rifle. It is chambered in 350 Remington magnum and is an absolute joy to shoot! 1'' to 1 1/2" groups with no modifications at 100 yards. - FUN!
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2009 at 06:07
You know my thoughts Bud, check out the condition first and as noted above test targets if available and go for it.
God save the Empire!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2009 at 12:40
The old M77 was a push feed, spring plunger ejection action with an adjustable trigger and tang safety.  The new M77 - MKII is controlled round feed with fixed blade ejector and 3-position safety.  Actually, there was a very short period when the MKII was first introduced that it did not have controlled round feed.

The M77 & M77 MKII are very rugged and reliable rifles with some nice features.  If you get a good one that shoots well, you'll be happy with it.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2009 at 12:49

Ted what do you mean by controlled round feed?

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Skunk View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2009 at 13:15
I think you should get a compact ruger with a 20" barrel chambered in 300 rcm or 338 rcm. Put a nice straight tube scope on that thing and you'll have the best gun you own hahaha sorry couldn't resist
Let me give you my two scents worth
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2009 at 13:18
With a controlled round feed action (i.e. Mauser, Pre-64 Win M70 and M70 Classic, and many others like those), the case rim slides up into the bolt face and underneath the extractor immediately when it clears the magazine feed rails.  This is due to the fact the bolt face has an open slot at the bottom allowing the case rim to slide upward along the bolt face.  At that point, the round is "controlled" by the bolt whether it is moved fore or aft, so you can eject the case without having to completely chamber the round.  CRF also helps prevent accidental misfeeds, double loads, and the resulting jams, an issue that is really overstated, but can happen.  With CRF, you also have a standing fixed ejector blade that doesn't eject the case until the very end of the bolt stroke, as opposed to a spring plunger ejector on a push feed action that ejects the case as soon as it clears the front receiver ring.  This means that you cannot pick up another round from the magazine until the case from the chamber has been ejected.  It also means that you can control how agressively the case is ejected or not ejected at all depending on whether or not you retract the bolt all the way or how hard you slam the bolt open.  CRF actions are usually (but not always) characterized by a long, Mauser style claw extractor. 

With a push feed action (i.e. Rem 700, Savage, Browning, Weatherby, and anything else with a plunger ejector and/or an enclosed bolt face, the extractor doesn't actually grab the case rim until the bolt is closed, causing it to snap over the rim.  This means if you start a case into the chamber but for some reason short stroke the bolt or retract the bolt before closing it on a live round, the round remains behind in the chamber.  You could then strip another round out of the magazine and the result is a jam.  In reality, push feed actions are very reliable as well, and these potential feeding issues usually don't happen to experienced shooters.  On the plus side, a push feed action can have an enclosed bolt face since the case doesn't snap under the extractor until the bolt is closed.  This makes the action safer in the event of case rupture, because with an enclosed bolt face, where the nose of the bolt fits into a counterbore in the barrel, there is no pathway for gas and shrapnel to travel rearward toward the shooter except through the firing pin hole.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2009 at 13:34

Rugers are pretty good.  I've had a few.  Most of them would shoot about 1.5" @ 100.  

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2009 at 13:37
Originally posted by Skunk Skunk wrote:

I think you should get a compact ruger with a 20" barrel chambered in 300 rcm or 338 rcm. Put a nice straight tube scope on that thing and you'll have the best gun you own hahaha sorry couldn't resist
20" barrel come on now... 18" or less!!!!Smile

you know, a man purse gun! Wink
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2009 at 13:43
Thanks Ted!  That was very clearand easy to follow without having to actually look at a bolt face!  Excellent
--Thomas Jefferson

scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2009 at 07:12
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

The old M77 was a push feed, spring plunger ejection action with an adjustable trigger and tang safety.  The new M77 - MKII is controlled round feed with fixed blade ejector and 3-position safety.  Actually, there was a very short period when the MKII was first introduced that it did not have controlled round feed.

The M77 & M77 MKII are very rugged and reliable rifles with some nice features.  If you get a good one that shoots well, you'll be happy with it.

Ted, what year are you considering old?  I have the M77 in a .06 that I bought in 1980 and I swear it has a slot opened at the bottom of the bolt the way you described and has a 2 position safety... Now I have to go dig it out and check it.  I'll post pics and make sure I understand what your saying.

To your original question, I have two M77 one old as posted above and another 3 years new in the synthetic/stainless both in the .06 and they both keep tight groups.  Looking to purchase another one next year for son #2. 
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2009 at 07:18
  Should only be a slot at the top for the extractor to go when the bolt is locked down.  That's how mine is anyways.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2009 at 07:20
            Interesting... very interesting!

--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic