OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

That Big Buck that got away

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K.I.A. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: That Big Buck that got away
    Posted: November/10/2009 at 12:28
Now i know all of you have a story about that big buck that got away due to some mechanical failure or cell phone going off or what ever, so lets hear 'em. Ill start with mine that happened this past saturday.
I was walking along the ties of a railroad track about mid mouring when a decent sized buck waltz across the tracks about 100 yards away. I bring my rifle up to my shoulder, the buck stops looks at me and by doing so gives me a nice quartering towards me shot, i squeeze the trigger and...Click!. I had forgotten to remove the "child" safety that remington puts on their new rifles, the J lock or what ever. Thats one lucky buck IMO
Wide open till you see God...Then brake
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 12:30
Sorry to hear that K.I.A., lawyers screwed up another hunt!
God save the Empire!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 12:45
 Ain't that the truth!

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 18:36
   I had a big 10 point cross the road in front of me less than 1/4mi from camp one night on the way home to get something (I can see camp from home).  Planned out a hunt for the next morn.  I'm back at camp and up early next morn.  At 6am I'm about to head out and THE PHONE rings. Daughters having a kidney stone attack and I have to get the grandkids at 9am. Ok! Ok!  I'm GOOD to go until 8!  Yea right.  Got so restless that I'm gathering up my pack and stuff by 7:45 plus 1/2 tryin to to keep an eye out.  I look up one time and there he is with 4 doe just starin me down.  Games up and he won.  I had THE PLAN though!  
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 19:02

I've had a long dry spell in the big buck department. The one that started my jinx was a very tall-racked monster that stepped out of the redbrush maybe 50 yards away on a cold opening day a few years back. I was in a solid position, waited until his head went behind a tree, raised my trusty 700 Remington, pushed the safety forward and TRIED to get my glove disentangled from the safety. There was a small split in the sewn seam on the thumb of my elk-hide glove and the head of the safety got stuck tightly in it. I couldn't get my hand positioned right to fire, and he disappeared before I got free. 

(My therapist says that I'm making fine progress in dealing with it all, but some days I'm not too sure he really understands...)
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 19:12

LOL!  "Hunting Bloopers" do make for GOOD memories though.

K.I.A. View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K.I.A. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 20:26
There really only funny until about the day after unfortunatly
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 20:49
  Don't think it lasted that long for me!  After almost 10yrs I still shake my head after losing a chance at that 10pt.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 22:39
A few years ago on an Elk hunt I was walking down this Forrest Service road and had to pee, leaned the rifle against a tree to do my business. And of coarse a good sized (probably 320)6x6 trots out of the brush, stops to look at me, and hauls ass! Not entertaining at all, but my buddy sure got a laugh!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2009 at 05:44
My therapy moment....
We go on a kudu hunt and on day one I pull off an incredible shot and bag a nice bull. That night I am offering everyone shooting lessons. The next day a bull stands 10m from me. I forget to crank my scope down to 3,5X and can't find him in my scope. Eventually the bull gets tired of this rifle waving idiot and walks away.
That night everyone was offering me "scope for dummies" lessons!!!

Edited by 8shots - November/11/2009 at 08:47
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2009 at 08:00
See "God has a sense of humor" thread about my "Big Buck" crying moment.  I don't want to relive it here. LOL!   
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2009 at 09:58
A few years back, my best friend and I took my son on his first hunt in New Mexico.  At this time my son was not carrying a gun but we wanted to take him out (I was using a semi auto ruger at the time)....  He and I were walking in chest high brush and pinions when we heard movement coming towards us.  We planted ourselves near a small set of bushes and waited.  This buck walked right up to us, gents, I mean 8ft away... we watched him as he froze when he saw us... my son whispered, "shoot him daddy."  I pulled the trigger and all we got was a CLICK.  The deer ran away and I was still in shock...  I looked at the rifle and realized that a round had not been placed into the chamber when I had released the bolt.  My son still laughs about that one... 

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2009 at 11:38
About 6-7 years ago my dad, brother, and I all went out deer hunting. It was Archery season about Mid October and I was feeling pretty good about myself because I was able to group really well all the way out to about 40 yards was the longest shot I had practiced. So I was thinking yea no problem shooting a deer if it comes by...were good to go. So my dad helps me get set up in a ground blind about 10-15yards down the deer trail off of a field on the edge of the property line. There is a gap in the fence so the deer can come through. So I get all set up and he leaves to go help my brother get set up in his stand. Then he goes and gets in his tree stand which is about 200-300yards away from where I'm sitting. So I see this thing coming towards me and I'm like "what is that?" It didnt look like a deer or a coyote or any animal I'd ever seen before but it moved really fast and low to the ground for being so big. Well he got to the gap of the fence and stopped long enough for me to realize it was a Cougar in Iowa! I was afraid cuz the only thing standing between me and this cougar is my bow and arrow and a pop up hunting blind. So he starts walking down the deer trail right towards me and I'm thinkin this cat is HUGE and he is gunna eat me. So I draw back with my bow and he gets to about 10 yards and gives me a perfect shot so I take it. And all I can hear is WHAP when the arrow hits him and makes a clean pass through shot and i hit him in the vitals. That cat jumped about 10 ft in the air and turned around to run out the gap in the fence and ran right into the fence leaving blood all over the fence. So I get out of the blind and found my arrow and its covered in blood and I see the metal fence post is also covered in blood so I'm thinking "I just smoked a Cougar" and my dad can see all this from his tree stand through his binoculars so he gets out of his stand and hes over to me within a few min. of this happening and was like "that was a big cat" and we gather our stuff and go back to the house to get rid of the bow and grab something more powerful... .375H&H and a .30-06 to go trail after this Cougar. We looked for that cat for 3 or 4 days and trailed him for miles and never found him... wish I woulda had my .300win mag instead of my bow that day! 
"I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace."
Thomas Payne, Revolutionist
Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2009 at 11:42
For years Iowa DNR has claimed there weren't Cougars/Mountain Lions in Iowa... I know better so anytime I go to my farm I always take the big boy gun cuz if I ever see another one I plan to shoot him with something thats gunna stomp him into the dirt and not let him get back up... my .300 win mag!
"I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace."
Thomas Payne, Revolutionist
K.I.A. View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K.I.A. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2009 at 17:27
Ya, the government would claim theres no cougars, haha.
K.I.A. View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K.I.A. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2009 at 17:29

Edit that: Replace government with fish cops

herrysmith View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrysmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2009 at 01:58
Hello !!!
Are you a good deer hunters? Are you interested in it? I would give you some types of deer stand plans to help you to become a professor in hunting deer. Have a look at : deer stand plansSmile
Hope you can choose one suitable for you!
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2009 at 09:40
I hunt in AR and MS.  We live in AR but have a second house and some land in MS that belonged to my wife's family.  MS's gun season runs into mid Jan.  We do the New Year's Eve thing with the inlaws and go home.  Get in bed sometime between 1 and 2 in the morning.  Alarm goes off at 5 and I'm up and at em.  Shower eat breakfast get dressed in warm hunting duds and head off across the pasture for the woods.  Get up in stnad get situated and settle in for the hunt.  Keeping hearing something moving behind and to my left but cannot find anything there.  Couple minutes later a really nice 8 pt. steps out into the old road I'm looking down and starts walking away from me.  I get my rifle up and on him and wait for him to turn broadside.  He walks about 30-40 yds. and turns broadside and I pull the trigger.....CLICK.  (insert EXPLETIVE) In my sleep deprived state I had forgotten to chamber a round.  This buck stands there dead still except for his ears while (quietly as I can) I open the bolt pull it back and start forward with it.  As it picks up the cartridge from the mag the buck decides to do the Oh Cr@p Boogie! 

You know that feeling you get in your stomach when you go a steep hill really fast in a car....  I found out how to do that sitting still.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic