OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

So many choices. Which one?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntingaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So many choices. Which one?
    Posted: November/10/2009 at 10:54
I bought a Sightron SII Big Sky ab a year ago and wasn't that thrilled with it so I returned it.  I decided to wait till the VX-3's were out before making a decision.  I am having a lot of trouble deciding which of the following 5 to get.  It will probably be on my muzzleloader so huge magnification is not important to me.  Here's the 5 I'm considering.

Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40 or 2.5-10x40
Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8x32 r 3-9x40
Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40
Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40
Vortex Viper 3-9x40 or 2-7

I have only experience the 4200 with the older rainguard coating and the old style turrets.  The older style were a turnoff, but now that they are round and resetable, it's back up on my list especially when you factor in the price and band for the buck.  The Zeiss is always fantastic and the reticles seem to stand out better than the Bushnell since they did away with the firefly on the 4200's.  The Leupold is very nice and solid, but I'm not sure the clarity is quite there for the money.  The Trijicon I felt was the clearest of the group and the reticle would be fantastic for hunting but at a high price.  Lastly, the Vortex.  I was impressed with the clarity for the money, but they are pretty new and kind of unknown for long term reliability.  The vortex is very attractive again for the price.  I could get 2 of the bushnells or vortex scopes for not much more than 1 of the others.

Anybody got any help to offer?  It would be greatly appreciated.  I'd like to order quickly.  I've been reading about scopes for a long time and am ready to get one on the way.

Thanks,

Tom
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 11:01
If you were not impressed with Big Sky glass then I would rule out the 4200, the Viper and the VX3.  They will all be so close it will be hard to tell the difference, IMO. 

If low light is a big need then I would go with the Trijicon because of the reticle.  Otherwise the Zeiss would be a great choice.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
luckystrike View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luckystrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 13:27
I'm currently mulling over a decision between a 4200, big sky, monarch and viper so I'm pretty interested in what you didn't like about the big sky
huntingaddict View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntingaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 13:45
Originally posted by luckystrike luckystrike wrote:

I'm currently mulling over a decision between a 4200, big sky, monarch and viper so I'm pretty interested in what you didn't like about the big sky

The big sky was very clear, but the reticle was hard to see in low light for me and I was expecting a good improvement over my current scopes and wasn't sure I was getting it.  Truthfully, the 4200, B.S., and the Monarch all seem to have thin reticles IMHO.  I do feel like the Conquest reticle is thicker and bolder and seems to show up better.  Of course the Trijicon reticle is probably the king of low light reticles.
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 13:58
Originally posted by huntingaddict huntingaddict wrote:

The big sky was very clear, but the reticle was hard to see in low light for me and I was expecting a good improvement over my current scopes and wasn't sure I was getting it.  Truthfully, the 4200, B.S., and the Monarch all seem to have thin reticles IMHO.  I do feel like the Conquest reticle is thicker and bolder and seems to show up better.  Of course the Trijicon reticle is probably the king of low light reticles.
Sounds like you have made your choice...
Have you thought of a lighted reticle?
I have an Elite Fire Fly on my son's 270... Works great, looks great.  Just shine a light through the lens for a few minutes and it lights up for hours.  You can use lighted or in day light and not lighted... Just a suggestion... Good luck!

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
huntingaddict View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntingaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 16:22
Originally posted by Trays 7940 Trays 7940 wrote:

Originally posted by huntingaddict huntingaddict wrote:

Sounds like you have made your choice...
Have you thought of a lighted reticle?
I have an Elite Fire Fly on my son's 270... Works great, looks great.  Just shine a light through the lens for a few minutes and it lights up for hours.  You can use lighted or in day light and not lighted... Just a suggestion... Good luck!

Yes and no.  If there's not that much to gain by spending the extra money then I'd rather go back down to the ones like the 4200 class.  I don't want to waste money if it's barely a difference.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic