OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

all purpose scope????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote optic novice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: all purpose scope????
    Posted: November/10/2009 at 10:47
Hello All,

I recently found this forum and the topics are great and the info is mind boggling!! I recently moved to WY from PA and my old 3-9 Bushnell is not enough for the hunting. I guess I need a "Scopes for Dummies" type of answer on this subject and I am looking for an all purpose scope to hunt out here and when I go back to PA. I am looking for a scope and most tell me to get a Leupold. I watched a show called the Best of the West and they were using a Huskemaw 5-20 LRS I really liked the reticle in it.  It was simple and clean and appears that it will not obstruct your view when aiming. It also allows you to dial in your distance and not have to use a BDC, Mildot, etc. This is what I am looking for. Also I would like a side focus parallax. My intent here is not to cause a big debate.  My budget would be around $400-$800.  Any responses would be appreciated and any pictures would be great!  Thanks 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 10:55
Isn't Best of the West that infomercial for that scope?  From what I have heard those are a gimick scope kind of like a Shepard. 

Shooting long range is just not that easy.  It takes practice and time at the range, a piece of gear is just not going to instantly make a guy shoot long range.  Way to many variable in that regard.

For scopes I would look at Bushnell 4200, Zeiss Conquest, Sightron S2 Big Sky, Vortex Viper, Leupold VX3.  Any of those will give you comparable performance and they all have large product options within those lines.

Personally I would want 3x to be the highest on the low end.  A 3-12x would be a good choice, or just a plan old 3-9x would be good. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 18:21
I agree, good optics trump gadgets every time.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2009 at 19:51
Hard to beat a Bushnell 4200 Elite 2.5-10x40 or a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 for all around big game hunting use. If you plan to do some night hunting ck out the Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 crosshair/green dot, this is my all around "go to" scope these days, but I do a lot of low light hog hunting and need an illuminated reticle.
Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2009 at 21:02
A 3X9 power is a fine scope unless you intend to shoot stuff from a mile away.  
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
HOLLOWPOINT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOLLOWPOINT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2009 at 05:52

No ads for other optics vendors, please.  

Edited by cheaptrick - November/14/2009 at 06:19
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2009 at 06:18
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2009 at 06:53
  Here's another GOOD "all-arounder":
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2009 at 07:47
Hmmmm... You stated that your old 3-9 isn't quite working for ya huh?
Well in IMO it's hard to beat a 10x for an all around fix, no more than a 12x. To get the side focus you want check out the 3-12 Nikon Monarch series. These offer really good glass quality for the money & are well within your budget.

Getting a Leupold with your side focus you'll have to start with a 4.5-14. Keep in mind that if you go with the Leupy's you'll have to jump to the 30mm tube for side focus. However, these are also very good glass and still within your budget but a little higher.

Edited by yellowdog - November/14/2009 at 13:56
If you don't want to stand behind our troops, then we will gladly have you stand in front of them.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2009 at 01:29
For an all-purpose scope I would stay away from the parallax focus. A parallax focus is only required for target shooting, ultra accurate stuff such as 1 inch groupings out to 200 yds etc. And the parallax focus alone will not give you that accuracy. You need a rifle, trigger, bullets and shooter to match.
For a decent all purpose scope a standard 3,5 - 10 or 4-12 would be all you would need. As for the make, any of the above allready suggested.
I have the standard 3,5-10 x 40 Leupold and that has seen me through all kinds of hunting from 10 yds out to 300+.
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2009 at 21:01
I own various types of hunting rifles.  Most are mounted with variable scopes that range from 2-8x32 to 5-15x50.  For the past 48 years I have hunted up high in the Rocky Mountain states and in the West Coast mountains.  What I notice more and more about my higher power variable scopes is that for shooting at the local 200 yards range and for deer and elk hunting even in the Rockies, I never go above 10X!  So, my premium German optics that I paid so much money for are not serving any purpose at their maximum settings on scopes that go over 10X.  Scope parallax adjustment is another feature that adds complexity and cost to the scope and is not neccessary at 10X or below on most scopes which are set up and corrected to begin with.  Cheap scopes are fuzzy above 9X anyhow, even with parallax control.

Also, I have pretty much decided that if you are going to your rifle a whole lot at the range and/or hunting at least here where the hunting hours are 1/2 hour after sunrise that you will find that 42mm objective lenses work just fine.  The lower scope mounting profile makes cheek weld easier with scopes at 42mm or below because you can use medium scope mounts.  The slightly smaller exit pupil does not affect me in the field much at all. 
CDR3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic