OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope advice .204

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrentH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope advice .204
    Posted: November/09/2009 at 22:03
Brand new here, but have been reading over the posts for a few weeks.

I am about to buy a Remington 700 VL SS TH in a .204.  Want to use it for small varmints at longer range (Prairie dogs and such).  

My budget is around $750 for the scope, and like the Varmint Recticle on the Leupold.

Was leaning towards this one http://swfa.com/Leupold-45-14x50-VX-3-Riflescope-P12702.aspx

But looking for any advice.  Maybe 14x is too low?

Thanks for any help!!!
www.StrongManitoba.com
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 22:30
I know this is a bit over what you want to spend but is still around the 750+ knowing how annoying that can be I have found that others suggestions are sometimes well worth it.  I have a spot in my heart for Leupold but for this I might suggest http://swfa.com/Zeiss-45-14x44-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-P8671.aspx due to the $$$ and what you get with the extra c-note.  I think this is a good mention due to the fact I have bought this for my wife and she has loved it.  Somehow she says it keeps her right on even when her breathing is not as it should be.  I am thrilled at how this scope has performed...  I do like both types of reticles as they are quite similar but the Zeiss I believe is a Crisper, Brighter picture...
No one
BrentH View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrentH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 22:35
Hmm...i did not look at the Zeiss, looks pretty good.  But FWIW the 750 limit was already pushing what i had planned on spending. 
www.StrongManitoba.com
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 22:54
maybe they might have one on the sample list http://www.samplelist.com/...
No one
BrentH View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrentH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2009 at 21:34
Some interesting stuff there.

So do most people prefer the Zeiss scopes?
www.StrongManitoba.com
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2009 at 19:34
IMO opinion for the application you're using it for (broad daylight) the clarity and resolution is a wash.  In comparing the 6.5-20x50 models the Leupold 6.5-20x50 VX-3 with the Varmint reticle is a tad cheaper that the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 Rapid-Z Varmint reticle.

The Leupold comes with a sun shade and a neuoprene scope cover.  I believe Zeiss comes with bikini style lens covers only.  The Zeiss sunshade is a tad pricey too.

For the Zeiss, you can go to their website and plug in your ballistics and it will tell you what power to set the scope on for the range reticles to correspond with the advertised markings.

As far as quality, accuracy and so forth you'll be happy with either one and will come down to personal choice. 

HTH, 
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2009 at 09:23
you don't need the 50 mm for daylight varmits, 40 mm will work fine and save you even more,
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2009 at 18:21
Good point!

JW
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2009 at 18:41
Pretty rifle, Dale.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 20:17
What did you decide to go with?  Any other thoughts???
No one
BrentH View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrentH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2009 at 01:08
No purchase yet. 

I am waiting to get my firearms permit...long story..but..all my guns are in my dads name, and he recently passed away.   I never bothered to get the liscences..so..now need too.

Once i have the permit (should be here in a few weeks) i still have until spring to make the purchase, though i probably will not wait that long.
www.StrongManitoba.com
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2009 at 00:00

hope all goes well for you.

No one
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 20:48
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

you don't need the 50 mm for daylight varmits, 40 mm will work fine and save you even more,

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
BrentH View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrentH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 21:17
Getting closer to purchase...played with the remmington and the savage in the store last weekend..both are very nice....
www.StrongManitoba.com
BrentH View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrentH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 20:57
Leupold 6.5-20x40 VX-3 30mm $839

or

Leupold 4.5-14x50 VX-3 30mm $739

or

Zeiss 6.5-20x50 Conquest Rifle Scope $1074  (blow the budget here)....
www.StrongManitoba.com
BrentH View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrentH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2010 at 21:02
Hmm..looks like i might be able to get a real good deal on Bushnell scopes.  So..change my tune a bit.  the 6500 is probably the way to go, might go with the 4.5-30x50, might be a bit big, but what the heck..the price is good.  Which recticle is best for smaller varmints, longer range?
www.StrongManitoba.com
jakeb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jakeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2010 at 23:08
Brent I am looking into buying a 204 as well, I think im going to go with the savage 12 vlp or lrpv.  Anyway I have been wondering the same things.  I have narrowed it down to the Zeiss, Bushnell elite 6500, and if I blow the budget, I may get a 5.5-20 nxs nightforce (just becuase I want one).  In the zeiss I like the z varmint ret, bushnell im thinking about the mill dot tacticle,  Im not sure how the DOA 600 would work with a 204.  Anyway not really helping you any here, but I will be interested in what you pick.
BrentH View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrentH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2010 at 23:39
I am 99% sure it's going to be the Savage 12TCSS.  I like the look and feel of the thumb hole stocks.

Just need to get my scope picked out
www.StrongManitoba.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic